5 Layer Bean Dip
Mexican 5 Layer Bean Dip – This easy recipe includes layers of shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and zesty pico de gallo for a classic crowd-pleasing potluck or game day party snack. Plus, simple suggestions for a 7 Layer Dip!
Why We Love This Dip Recipe
I mean, seriously… Everyone loves this simply amazing Mexican Five Layer Bean Dip!
This easy recipe features five layers of flavor and color that can be made from scratch, or thrown together quickly with store-bought items. My 5 layer bean dip recipe is packed with extra flavor thanks to mixing the refried beans with the salsa in one layer, and adding a ranch packet to the sour cream!
Feel free to make the guacamole yourself, as well as the refried beans, salsa, and pico de gallo. Or buy everything pre-made, including thick ranch dip, instead of mixing it yourself with sour cream. For how simple it is, there are so many great ways to easily customize the recipe.
With all of the ingredients at the ready, the layered dip comes together in just 20 minutes. You can whip it up last minute or make it ahead of time! With no oven or baking necessary, all you have to account for it is the prep time. Serve with dippers like crunchy tortilla chips or fresh veggies as a party snack or potluck side dish.
Ingredients You Need
- Refried beans – your choice of traditional, low-fat, and/or vegetarian
- Salsa – store-bought or homemade salsa
- Sour cream – or Greek yogurt
- Ranch dressing mix – like classic Hidden Valley Ranch Dips Mix
- Guacamole – store-bought or homemade guacamole
- Mexican cheese blend – shredded
- Pico de gallo – store-bought or your own fresh blend of chopped roma tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and lime juice
How to Make 5 Layer Bean Dip
Set out an 8 x 8-inch square or a 9-inch round glass dish. Then set out two small or medium mixing bowls.
In one mixing bowl, combine the refried beans and salsa. Mix until smooth.
In the second small bowl, use a spatula to combine the sour cream and ranch dip mix packet. Mix until well combined and smooth.
To layer: In the bottom of the pan, spread the bean mixture in an even later. Next, add the guacamole and spread it into a smooth even layer. Third, spread the ranch dip over the guacamole in a smooth even layer.
Get the Complete (Printable) Mexican 5 Layer Bean Dip Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Fourth, sprinkle cheese evenly over the ranch dip. And finally, sprinkle pico de gallo over the top of the cheese.
Cover and chill until ready to enjoy.
Serve Mexican 5 Layer Dip with any of your favorite dippers! Here are some ideas we love:
- Tortilla chips – white or yellow corn, thicker chips are best for dipping
- Potato chips – plain, salted, or homemade potato chips
- Raw veggies – carrot sticks, celery sticks, and bell pepper slices
- Crackers – any kind you like!
- Tortillas – make a little wrap with homemade tortillas!
Seven Layer Dip
What if you want to add layers for a Seven Layer Dip?
If 5 full-bodied layers just aren’t enough you can turn this into a 7 Layer Dip quite easily.
PS, I based the current dip recipe off of Trader Joe’s 5-ish layer dip, but technically, this is a seven-layer dip, if you count each ingredient as a layer! The more layers, the better, right?
You can make this officially a 7 Layer Taco Dip by adding a taco meat layer, and add an extra layer with flavorful vegetables like olives and sliced jalapeños! It is also super delicious with a layer of thinly sliced green onions on tops!
Layer Mexican Dip Recipe Variations
Feel free to mix things up by adding or swapping ingredients!
- Use refried black beans instead of classic pinto refried beans.
- Add cooked and cooled ground beef or ground turkey taco meat to the bean and salsa layer.
- Or omit the beans and add a layer of taco meat instead by combining ground meat with taco seasoning before layering.
- Swap sour cream with greek yogurt for a slightly healthier recipe.
- We use a simple blend of Mexican shredded cheese, but you can swap or add other cheeses like shredded cheddar cheese, monterey jack, or spicy pepper jack cheese.
- Instead of salsa use a can of mild or spicy Rotel for another classic version of Mexican layer dip.
- Spice it up further by adding diced chipotle pepper or hot sauce to the beans.
- Not into avocados? No problem! Easily make this layer dip without guacamole.
- Add other toppings like sliced black olives, fresh cilantro, green onion, roasted garlic, or sliced jalapeños for a more-than-5-layer, 7-layer dip.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, this dish should be kept in the fridge until ready to serve cold.
While there are 5 layers, there are actually 7 ingredients: Beans mixed with salsa, sour cream mixed with ranch dressing mix, guacamole, shredded cheese, and pico de gallo.
Cover tightly and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. You can make it ahead the night or several hours before serving. But for the freshest guacamole and best consistency I suggest enjoying it within 48 hours of making it.
Absolutely! To make this dip vegan, skip the sour cream layer, or replace it with a plant-based sour cream or yogurt! And make sure to use vegetarian refried beans, of course. Ranch dip powder also has milk in it, so you can replace the ranch powder with sea salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and a bit of parsley!
Unfortunately, 5 layer bean dip cannot be frozen, as it will not have the right textures once it is thawed!
Yes! As long as you get the ranch dressing packets that are gluten-free (not the organic ones), then this 5-ish layer dip is totally gluten free!
Looking for More Easy Dips and Spreads Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Peach Mango Habanero Salsa
- Supreme Pizza Dip
- Cranberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip
- Fresh Mango Guacamole Dip
- Smoked Cheese Spread with Sour Cream
Mexican 5 Layer Bean Dip + Video
- Set out an 8 x 8-inch square or a 9-inch round glass dish. Then set out two small or medium mixing bowls.
- In one mixing bowl, combine the refried beans and salsa. Mix until smooth. In the second mixing bowl combine the sour cream and ranch dip mix packet. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- To layer: In the bottom of the pan, spread the bean mixture in an even later. Next add the guacamole and spread it into a smooth even layer. Third spread the ranch dip over the guacamole in a smooth even layer. Fourth, sprinkle cheese evenly over the ranch dip. And finally sprinkle pico de gallo over the top of the cheese. Cover and chill until ready to serve.