Candied Bacon Corn Salsa
Today I’m serving two must-try bar snacks for fall: Candied Bacon and Corn Salsa. Salty-sweet indulgences to brighten your day all rolled into one, Candied Bacon Corn Salsa.
Have you ever read the children’s book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst?
It used to be one of my favorite read-alouds back when I taught third grade. I would read it to my class at the beginning of the school year and talk about how some days just don’t turn out the way we want. Yet instead of having a bad attitude, like Alexander, we could choose to be positive through the tough times, knowing things will change. They always change.
On occasion, I still have to remind myself that the tough times don’t last forever.
Sometimes the situation changes; sometimes we create the change.
Some seasons are light-hearted fun and smooth sailing, while other seasons are a seemingly endless storm of personal, relational, financial and/or health issues.
I find these hard times are much more bearable when you look for little blessings in each day.
Through all the daily muck you put up with, you have to stop and enjoy the little things: a clear blue sky, a long walk, a smile from a stranger, an honest response from a friend, a napping baby, a hearty meal, a mailbox without bills, a comfy pair of shoes, a full tank of gas, an early bedtime.
There is always something positive to focus on, if you look for it.
For instance, today I’m focusing on simple ingredients that I love:
I’m giving you two snacks, instead of one. You can count that as one of your little daily blessings. *wink*
Sweet and spicy Candied Bacon is the most ridiculously indulgent thing I can think of. Crispy caramelized strips of pork fat with spicy flecks of crushed red pepper sprinkled about.
You can eat it as-is, or crumble it into something like, let’s say, Candied Bacon Corn Salsa!
Snack #2 utilizes and bold spicy flavor of the bacon candy to make a crisp fresh corn salsa with corn cut straight off the cob. It’s fantastic for scooping with tortilla chips, but also makes a great corn salad side dish.
This Candied Bacon Corn Salsa recipe makes 10-12 strips of candied bacon, even though you only need 6 for the salsa.
Inevitably, 4-6 strips of bacon candy will mysteriously disappear while you chop peppers. It happens every time!
I hope you’re having a fabulous day. But if not, make Candied Bacon your silver lining.
More Fun Bar Snacks:
Zucchini Chips ~ Table for Two
Goat Cheese Hushpuppies ~ Heather Christo
Candied Bacon Corn Salsa
For the Bacon Corn Salsa:
- 6 strips candied bacon chopped or crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ears fresh corn cut off the cobs
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
For the Candied Bacon:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Pour the brown sugar and crushed red pepper in a pie pan. mix by hand.
- Thoroughly coat each strip of bacon with the sugar mixture and lay out on a roasting pan with a rack and shallow tray below. (The kind that comes with an oven.)
- Bake the bacon for 15-20 minutes, until almost crisp. Using tongs, flip the bacon strips and cook another 5 minutes, until cooked through and red in color.
- Remove from the oven and place on a piece of foil to dry. Once cooled, the bacon should be firm and crisp, not flimsy.
For the Corn Salsa:
- Crumble or chop 6 strips of the candied bacon. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter to the skillet. Sear the fresh corn for approximately 1 minute, just long enough to add color and sweetness, but not cook through.
- Remove the corn, then repeat with the red bell peppers. Add the corn, peppers, green onion and cilantro to a bowl. Toss with the crumbled bacon, then salt and pepper to taste. Serve as a corn salad, with chips, or as a steak topper.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!