Hearty healthy Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Skillet. A one-pot dinner your family will love, and a great way to use up leftovers!
It’s hard to eat healthy this time of year. With all the holiday feasts and parties, free flowing cocktails, and sweets laying around, I find it difficult to keep my hand out of the cookie jar, so to speak.
We do our best to eat clean healthy meals most days, then splurge a little on the weekends. However during the holiday season, the splurge days seems to leak into the rest of the week.
Lately I’ve been making a lot of one-pot skillet meals. Dinners that can be quickly thrown together after a long day of work and/or after school activities, and don’t make a lot of dishes for me to clean up.
It’s easy to create an endless array of quick skillet meals if you keep a few go-to items in your freezer and pantry… Chicken, ground beef, pasta, canned tomatoes, peppers, onions, and rice and quinoa are a good start.
Today’s one-pot dynamo, Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Skillet, is a healthy and satisfying meal that is hard to resist.
It’s gluten free, low fat, high protein, packed with vitamins… And it tastes amazing!
Speaking of healthy, I wanted to share a special deal with you today.
Thrive Market is an online membership club providing healthy food and living items at big discounts.
Lt. Dan and I love purchasing organic, clean, and sustainable products for between 25-50% off their normal price, and we think you will too. Plus, you can find healthy products to fit all your dietary needs on ThriveMarket.com.
Stay at home and shop. Plus save money and receive free shipping. That’s a major win in my book!
For just $60 a year, or $5 a month, you will have access to these savings in the Thrive Market store. Orders over $49 receive free shipping every time. Not only that, when you join you are sponsoring a free membership for a low-income family.
Thrive Market is offering a fabulous special to A Spicy Perspective readers right now. You will receive 1 Free Product + One Free Month-Long Subscription to see if you like shopping with Thrive Market.
You can choose your free product below and click on the button to sign up!
Ready to make healthy Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Skillet?
Start by sautéing bell pepper and broccoli over medium-heat heat to blister the edges a little.
Then remove the veggies and add whole chicken breasts, garlic, chicken broth, and quinoa to the skillet.
Simmer the mixture until the chicken breasts cook through, the quinoa has absorbed the broth, and the spirals release around the edges.
Chop the chicken and add in back to the skillet along with the previously cooked veggies, dried cranberries, pecan pieces, and chopped scallions.
The cranberries and pecans mixed with the quinoa give this Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Skillet a hearty holiday appeal.
PS – If you have leftover turkey (or chicken) from another meal, you could even omit the chicken breasts and add chopped turkey in at the end to use up your holiday leftovers!
Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Skillet is a hit on all accounts. Give it a try!
Looking For More Healthy One-Pot Dinners?
Chicken Broccoli Quinoa Skillet
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/4 cups dried quinoa
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups small broccoli floret
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil and chopped bell pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Then add the broccoli florets. Stir and saute another 3-4 minutes, until the broccoli is partially softened. Remove all veggies from the skillet and set aside.
- Next add the whole chicken breasts, garlic, quinoa, 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer. Once the quinoa is boiling, lower the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, the broth is evaporated, and the quinoa spirals have separated, about 18-20 minutes. Add another 1/2 cup broth if needed.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet. Chop the chicken and add back to the skillet. Then toss in the sautéed vegetables, pecan pieces, cranberries, and scallions. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm!
Yield: 6-8 servings, Serving Size: 8
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 338 Calories
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Sodium: 706mg
- Carbohydrates: 22.3g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 31.8g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!