Easy Croatian Chicken Mushroom Pepper Skillet, a fantastic sandwich stuffing, and great on its own as a low carb meal!
One of the reasons I love to travel, is to experience the flavors and cooking styles of other cultures around the world.
Although the United States is a melting pot of nationalities, there are some international cuisines we don’t often enjoy in America.
I mean, when was the last time you visited a Croatian restaurant in your hometown?
Just because some cuisines haven’t gained popularity here, doesn’t mean they aren’t worthwhile.
In my lifetime, I want to taste them all!
Speaking of Croatian cuisine, on a trip to Croatia last spring I came across a simple homey dish that was so satisfying, I made a note to replicate it a home and share it with you.
My travel buddy and I were trying to hunt down the best cevapi (regional sausages served on bubbly bread) in a little coastal village called Pula, when we happened upon another inspired dish at a restaurant named Bistro Odisej.
It was a sandwich filled with sautéed chicken, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and herbs.
It seemed to be made with basic ingredients, and was simply cooked on a flattop griddle, but wow was it ever delicious!
Piletina u Povrcu, or Croatian Chicken in Vegetables is an easy meal to make at home, allowing your family to taste the flavors of eastern Europe.
This Croatian Chicken Mushroom Pepper Skillet is so wonderful, because of its simplicity.
It is made of chicken thighs and vegetables cooked in butter, with garlic, thyme, and smoked paprika. The smoked paprika is a key element, so make sure to grab it at the market.
Once sautéed, you can serve this Croatian Chicken Mushroom Pepper Skillet as-is for a low carb meal, or enjoy it Croatian-style, piled on fluffy bread.
In Croatia, lepinja bread is used for such dishes. It’s a type of thick soft pita, or flatbread, with big airy bubbles and lots of yeasty appeal.
If you can buy a similar style of bread at a european (or middle eastern) market in your area, go with that. Otherwise, I find soft porous ciabatta rolls are the next best thing.
Our copycat Croatian Chicken Mushroom Pepper Skillet is so delightful, you might find yourself enjoying the flavors of Croatia every week!
Croatian Chicken Mushroom Pepper Skillet
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
Croatian Chicken Mushroom Pepper Skillet Recipe – A simple sautéed chicken thighs and vegetable dish we enjoyed in Croatia, that can be served in a sandwich, or on its own as a low carb meal!
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped (any color)
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, char the bell peppers in a dry skillet, until lightly blistered. Remove the peppers and set aside.
- Add the butter, onions, and garlic to the skillet. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then push onions to the side of the pan.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, thyme, smoked paprika, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Toss the blistered peppers back into the skillet. Cook another 2 minutes. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve as-is, or on soft bubbly bread rolls, just like in Croatia. (I find soft ciabatta buns are the closest thing to Croatian sandwich bread, found in the US.)
NOTE: Nutritional facts calculated without sandwich rolls.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 6
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 317 Calories
- Total Fat: 16.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.2g
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- Sodium: 738mg
- Carbohydrates: 7.1g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Protein: 34.9g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!