Croatian Skillet Chicken and Vegetables
Croatian Skillet Chicken and Vegetables – with chicken, mushrooms, and peppers this is a fantastic sandwich stuffing, and great on its own as a low carb meal!
One of the reasons I love to travel is to experience the flavors and cooking styles of other cultures around the world.
Although the United States is a melting pot of nationalities, there are some international cuisines we don’t often enjoy in America.
I mean, when was the last time you visited a Croatian restaurant in your hometown?
Just because some cuisines haven’t gained popularity here, doesn’t mean they aren’t worthwhile.
In my lifetime, I want to taste them all!
The Journey to Croatian Skillet Chicken and Vegetables
Speaking of Croatian cuisine, on a trip to Croatia last spring I came across a simple homey dish that was so satisfying, I loved it so much, I made a note to replicate it at home and share it with you.
My travel buddy and I were trying to hunt down the best cevapi (regional sausages served on bubbly bread) in a little coastal village called Pula when we happened upon another inspired dish at a restaurant named Bistro Odisej.
Simple Wholesome Chicken and Vegetable Recipe
It was a sandwich filled with sautéed chicken, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and herbs.
It seemed to be made with basic ingredients, and was simply cooked on a flattop griddle, but wow was it ever delicious!
Piletina u Povrcu, or Croatian Chicken in Vegetables is an easy meal to make at home, allowing your family to taste the flavors of Eastern Europe.
This Croatian Skillet Chicken and Vegetables is so wonderful, because of its simplicity.
How Do I Cook Chicken and Vegetables in a Skillet?
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, char the bell peppers in a dry skillet until lightly blistered. Remove the peppers and set aside.
- Add the butter, onions, and garlic to the skillet. Sauté, and push onions to the side of the pan.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, and seasonings. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Toss the blistered peppers back into the skillet. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
For a More Detailed Instruction Guide with Measurements and Timing Tips See the Recipe Card Below!
What is in this Chicken and Vegetable Recipe?
It is made of chicken thighs and vegetables cooked in butter, with garlic, thyme, and smoked paprika. The smoked paprika is a key element, so make sure to grab it at the market.
Once sautéed, you can serve this Croatian Skillet Chicken and Vegetables as-is for a low carb meal, or enjoy it Croatian-style, piled on fluffy bread.
How Do I Serve Chicken and Vegetables?
In Croatia, lepinja bread is used for such dishes. It’s a type of thick soft pita, or flatbread, with big airy bubbles and lots of yeasty appeal.
You can make it at home. Or if you can buy a similar style of bread at a European (or middle eastern) market in your area, go with that.
Otherwise, I find soft porous ciabatta rolls are the next best thing.
Our copycat Croatian Skillet Chicken and Vegetables is so delightful, you might find yourself enjoying the flavors of Croatia every week!
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make Croatian Skillet Chicken and Vegetables. Enjoy!
Other Healthy Wholesome Recipes You Might Like
- Paleo Chicken Chile Verde
- Low Carb Vietnamese Pho Recipe
- Croatian Lepinja Bread
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore by Wholesomelicious
- Whole30 Chicken Salad by Well Plated
Croatian Skillet Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and roughly chopped (any color)
- 1 red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, char the bell peppers in a dry skillet, until lightly blistered. Remove the peppers and set aside.
- Add the butter, onions, and garlic to the skillet. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then push onions to the side of the pan.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, thyme, smoked paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Toss the blistered peppers back into the skillet. Cook another 2 minutes. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve as-is, or on soft bubbly bread rolls, just like in Croatia. (I find soft ciabatta buns are the closest thing to Croatian sandwich bread found in the US.)
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!