Creamy Skillet Cajun Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe
Creamy Skillet Cajun Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe – This bold and creamy Cajun chicken recipe is the ultimate comfort food with just the right kick of spice. Serve it with pasta, rice, or low-carb cauliflower rice!
Is it just me, or can it be kinda hard to find comfort food recipes with just a little kick of spiciness… And that the entire family will actually eat and love?
If you have picky eaters to please at the dinner table, you might feel as though your quick-and-easy weeknight meals are fairly limited to a handful of lackluster staples.
Protein, starch, veggie, done. One skillet? Even better. Tried-and-true one-skillet recipes are reliable to a point of being down right predictable.
Don’t get me wrong. I, probably even more than most people, absolutely adore the delicious simplicity of a classic chicken and rice dish (have you tried Nana’s Epic Chicken and Rice or my amazing Bistro Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice recipes?)
But c’mon, we all deserve to spice things up a bit!
Easy Creamy Cajun Chicken and Mushrooms
This Creamy Skillet Cajun Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe is the perfect compromise to satisfy your need for bold flavors without scaring off any sensitive palates. It’s creamy, comforting, and has just the right light touch of heat to make everyone happy!
Speaking of happy, this super simple skillet main dish requires only a handful of ingredients and about half an hour to make!
It is fabulous served over pasta and rice, and alongside fresh salads or quick-cooking veggies.
What Ingredients You Need
The perfect balance of tanginess with bold spice is achieved in this dish by using simple yet vibrant ingredients.
Each component is itself a flavor powerhouse, and together they combine in just one pan to create an absolutely crave-able smooth, zesty, rich, and spicy Chicken and Mushrooms recipe.
Here’s what you need:
- Chicken breasts
- Butter – or oil
- Onion – chopped
- Garlic – minced
- Button mushroom – sliced
- Cajun seasoning
- Cream cheese – your choice of regular or low-fat, softened
- Lemon juice
- Parsley – chopped
If you have not cooked with Cajun seasoning before, I promise that after trying this recipe it will be one of your favorites.
You can purchase Cajun seasoning at the store, or easily create your own Best Ever Blackened Seasoning blend with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, a bit of cayenne, and other simple spices. Make a jarful and keep your spice rack stocked at all times!
How to Make Creamy Skillet Cajun Chicken and Mushrooms
From start to finish this recipe only takes about 30 minutes to make. It cooks quickly, so be sure to get your side dishes on the stove soon after starting!
Here are the simple steps to make our easy Creamy Cajun Chicken with Mushrooms recipe:
1. Start by setting a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, diced onions, and minced garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes until the onions are translucent, and then add the sliced button mushrooms. Continue sautéing for several more minutes to soften the mushrooms.
2. While the mushrooms are cooking, prepare the chicken by cutting into 1 inch bite-size pieces. Once the mushrooms are soft, move them to the sides of the skillet and add in the chicken and Cajun seasoning.
3. Cook the chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes until brown on all sides, stirring occasionally. Then add in the softened cream cheese, water, and paprika to the skillet.
4. Simmer gently and stir continuously until the cream cheese melts into a smooth sauce.
5. Lastly, stir in the lemon juice and chopped parsley. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Enjoy while warm.
Get the Complete (Printable) Creamy Skillet Cajun and Mushrooms Recipe Below. Enjoy!
How Do I Serve This Dish?
Creamy Cajun Chicken with Mushrooms is perfect for enjoying over pasta, white or brown rice, or cauliflower rice for a lower-carb meal.
Is This Skillet Recipe Good for Meal Prepping?
Absolutely! The zesty Cajun flavors meld together wonderfully with the cream cheese and mushroom sauce the longer everything sits together.
Store cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Because of the cream cheese I do not recommend that you freeze Creamy Skillet Cajun Chicken and Mushrooms.
Looking for More Easy Chicken Skillet Recipes?
- Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Rice
- Skinny Creamy Chimichurri Chicken
- Roasted Red Pepper Skillet Chicken
- Creamy Salsa Verde Chicken
- Hawaiian Chicken
Creamy Skillet Cajun Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe
- Set a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the butter, onions, and garlic. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Sauté for 8-10 minutes to soften the mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, chop the chicken into 1 inch bite-size pieces. Once the mushrooms are soft, move them to the sides of the skillet and add in the chicken and Cajun seasoning.
- Brown the chicken for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add in the cream cheese, water, and smoked paprika.
- Stir and simmer until the cream cheese melts into a smooth sauce. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm over pasta, rice, or cauliflower rice.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!