Easy to make 5-Ingredient Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Cups, a fun party snack to help curb your cravings so you keep your resolution this year.
The worst part of any diet is the snacks.
Am I right?!
I can deal with light low carb breakfasts. I can deal with salad and protein for lunch. I can even deal with (and often enjoy the challenge of) lean healthy dinners.
However when it comes to quick snacks, carrot sticks and raw almonds get old really fast.
If your new year’s resolution was to cut carbs this year, I’ve got a party snack that will help you stay on the straight and narrow, right on through Super Bowl!
Today’s Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Cups require only 5 simple ingredients to make, and satisfy serious pizza cravings in one bite.
These Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Cups are extremely low in carbs and are also gluten free. Plus, once the cups are baked, drain them on a paper towel to remove extra fat!
You can even make a paleo version by using almond or cashew cheese.
Start with large “sandwich style” pepperoni slices that are at least 2 inches wide. You can find them in the deli section at the grocery store.
Snip 4 – 1/2 inch cuts to help the pepperoni fit down into mini muffin pans better. (You can skip this step and just press them down in the muffin pans, Yet the cups aren’t as nicely shaped and don’t drain as well.)
Bake the pepperoni cups for 5 minutes. Cool for a few minutes in the pan so they firm up. Then move the cups to a paper towel to drain off the grease.
The cups can now be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. Or you can fill them with any filling you like and enjoy right away!
For the Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Cups, wipe the grease out of the pan and place the cups back in. Put a small basil leaf in the bottom of each cup, followed by a little bit of pizza sauce, a mini mozzarella ball, and an olive slice.
Bake the cups again for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese, then dive in!
You might be tempted to skip the pre-baking and pepperoni cup cooling, and just add all the ingredients into the cups at the beginning. I encourage you to resist the temptation. Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Cups are much crispier and hold their shape better if you prebake the cups before you fill them.
However, you can drain the cups at the end to save time. It’s up to you.
5-Ingredient Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Cups are a life-saver during diet season.
Take them to office events, cocktail parties, and or course to your Super Bowl party. They will help you resist the chip bowl all evening long!
Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza Cups
Yield: 24 cups
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:8 minutes
- 24 "sandwich style" pepperoni slices (2+ inches wide)
- 24 small basil leaves
- 1 small jar pizza sauce
- 24 mini mozzarella balls
- sliced black olives (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Using kitchen sheers, snip 4 - 1/2 inch cuts around the edges of each pepperoni slice, leaving the center uncut. Each pepperoni should look like a circular cross. (See post image for clarification.)
- Press each pepperoni down into a mini muffin pan. Bake for 5-6 minutes, until the edges are crispy, but the pepperoni is still red. Let the pepperoni cool in the pans for 5 minutes to crisp, so they hold their shape. Then move the cups to a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Wipe the grease out of the muffin pan with a paper towel, then return the cups to the pan. Place a small basil leaf in the bottom of each cup, followed by a 1/2 teaspoon of pizza sauce, a mini mozzarella ball, and an olive slice.
- Place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese starts to melt. Allow the cups to cool again for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 24 cups, Serving Size: 1 mini cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 48 Calories
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Sodium: 99mg
- Carbohydrates: 0.3g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.9g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!