Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Why We Love This Easy Instant Pot Recipe
This is a great simple Shredded Chicken recipe to use in all your favorite dishes that call for cooked chicken!
Sure, it’s great if you have leftover chicken on-hand. But when you don’t, throw some chicken in your electric pressure cooker with just a few simple ingredients. Roughly 20 minutes later you have fork-tender and juicy batch of chopped chicken or shredded chicken! It’s just that easy.
This is a great recipe to make at the beginning of the week for meal prep, then use in all sorts of healthy lunch or dinner recipes. Below we share LOTS of fantastic ideas for how to use shredded chicken!
4 Ingredients You Need
- Chicken breasts – boneless and skinless (chicken thighs work too!)
- Chicken broth – or bouillon
- Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning blend – or your favorite blend of spices
- Salt – just a pinch
How to Make Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot
Place the chicken breast in the Instant Pot. No rack needed.
Sprinkle the Mrs. Dash Seasoning and salt over the top of the chicken breasts, then pour in the broth.
Lock the Instant Pot lid into place. Then set on Pressure Cook High for 10 minutes.
Once the timer goes off, perform a “Natural Release” and allow the steam to vent for 5 minutes, or until the valve button drops. At this point, it is safe to open the lid.
Get the Complete (Printable) Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Used two forks to shred the chicken in the juices.
Or remove the chicken pieces with tongs, and either shred or chop them on a cutting board.
Then place the meat back into the broth until ready to use. This will keep the shredded chicken moist and tender.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot?
Cook chicken breast from frozen for 12 minutes on Pressure Cook High.
Can you use this recipe to make pressure-cooked chicken thighs?
This recipe specifically uses boneless chicken breasts, but you can substitute boneless and skinless chicken thighs as well. Cook for the same amount of time.
What is the best herb to season chicken?
We love Mrs. Dash original seasoning blend because it has so many good herbs, spices, and dehydrated vegetables in it. But feel free to use any salt-free seasoning blend you prefer! Try this recipe with Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, or general all-purpose poultry seasoning.
You can also use seasoning salt in this recipe, in place of the salt and Mrs. Dash. However, you’ll have to experiment with the right amount, as all seasoning salts have different amounts of sodium in them.
How do you store leftovers?
Chopped chicken keeps well for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Cool completely before transferring to a sealed container and placing in the fridge.
I love to make a quick batch or two on Monday for an easy weeknight dinner, then meal prep the rest for several days of lunches!
The chicken is also terrific to freeze. Transfer the cooled chicken to a plastic ziploc bag, and press out all of the air while sealing shut. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, and thaw in the fridge overnight to use.
Suggestions for Recipes to Make with Shredded Chicken
For easy lunch and dinner dishes, cut back on prep time and have pulled chicken ready to use…
- Chicken Tacos, Taco Salad Bowls, and burritos
- Belizean Garnachas (Salbutes)
- Cheesy Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- Healthy Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup, White Bean Soup, and Detox Soup
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Chili
- Buffalo Chicken and Rice Casserole (Chicken and Rice Skillet)
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas and Enchilada-Style Mexican Stuffed Shells
- Vietnamese Chicken Pho with Zoodles (Zucchini Noodles)
- Sandwiches, wraps, and quesadillas
Pulled chicken is also great to include in your weekly meal prep plans! Use it to make Chicken Chipotle Burrito Bowls, a satisfying Greek Salad, or lunch bento boxes with cheeses, crackers, fruits and veggies.
Even use it in snacks and appetizers…
- Chicken Enchilada Pot Pie
- Tamale Bites
- King Ranch Chicken Dip and Skinny Enchilada Dip
- Sheet Pan Keto Chicken Nachos
- Chicken Enchilada Pinwheel
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Bites
Looking for More Easy Pressure Cooker Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry
- Amazing Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Creamy White Chicken Chili (3 Ways!)
- Chicken Congee (IP Jook Recipe)
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken (All-Purpose) Recipe + VIDEO
- Place the chicken breast in the Instant Pot. (No rack needed.) Sprinkle Mrs. Dash Seasoning and salt over the top of the chicken breasts. Then pour the broth over the chicken.
- Lock the Instant Pot lid into place. Then set on Pressure Cook High for 10 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, perform a “Natural Release” and allow the steam to vent for 5 minutes, or until the valve button drops. At this point, it is safe to open the lid.
- Used two forks to shred the chicken in the juices. Or remove the chicken pieces with tongs, and either shred or chop them on a cutting board. Then place the meat back into the broth until ready to use.