Sweet and Spicy Roasted Broccolini
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
What is Broccolini?
If you have ever been at the grocery store and picked up a bundle of broccolini, you might have asked yourself… Where is the rest of it?
Broccolini is not a different plant than broccoli but is actually “just” baby broccoli. The thin stalk and smaller, individual florets are a result of them being harvested early in growth. These stalks are more tender and sweeter than full-grown broccoli heads.
Even if you have folks in the family that typically aren’t big fans of hearty green veggies, they are sure to be won over immediately by how – well, adorable? – broccolini is. In fact, I practically guarantee that this quick and easy veggie side dish will get even the pickiest eaters to try their broccoli!
We bake the veg in a high-heat oven for only 10 minutes, then brush with a simple sweet chili sauce. The vibrant yet familiar flavors make Sweet and Spicy Roasted Broccolini perfect to pair with grilled proteins, or as the green dish on the table with lavish holiday meals.
5 Ingredients You Need
- Broccolini – wash and gently pat dry
- Asian sweet chili sauce – lightly spicy with tangy, sweet, and bold flavor
- Sesame oil – or other high-heat oil for roasting, like avocado or canola oil
- Garlic powder – mellows the spice and sweetness with a savory and earthy taste
- Salt – a pinch to bring the dish together.
Plus, you’ll also need a nonstick cooking spray for this roasted broccolini recipe.
How to Make Roasted Broccolini
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet. Then spray the baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Trim the rough ends of the broccolini stems just a little. Cut the largest broccolini stems in half lengthwise to match the smaller pieces.
Lay the broccolini out in a single layer on the baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt.
Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, set out a small bowl. Whisk together the sweet chili sauce, sesame oil, and garlic powder.
Get the Complete (Printable) Sweet and Spicy Broccolini Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Once the roasted broccolini comes out of the oven, brush the pieces with sweet chili glaze.
Pro Tip: Don’t brush the glaze over the broccolini before roasting. It makes them soggy.
This healthy broccolini recipe happens to be gluten-free, vegan, and low carb. Serve it alongside nearly any main dish, from a light vegetarian dinner to full-on comfort food meals!
Frequently Asked Questions
What part of the broccolini do you eat?
The entire veggie is edible! Stem, leaves, florets – they are all tender and delicious.
Do you cut broccolini before cooking?
Yes, we clip the very tips of the stalks. Really this is just to give them all a pretty uniform look, and does not affect cooking at all.
Is it better to blanch before roasting?
There is no need to blanch the broccolini before cooking. It’s already wonderfully tender and ready to roast from raw!
Is eating roasted broccolini good for you?
Yes, this is a very healthy recipe! Like broccoli, broccolini is a very nutrient-dense food. Briefly roasting them brings out delicious flavors while keeping the health benefits.
How long do leftovers last?
Like most cooking green veggies, broccolini is best to enjoy soon after roasting.
The dish will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days, but the stalks and florets will likely be soft and soggy. Enjoy cold in salads, or briefly reheat in a skillet on the stovetop or the air fryer.
Looking for More Healthy Side Dish Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Baked Green Beans Almondine
- Perfect Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Vegetable Medley
- Zesty Roasted Okra
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Broccolini Recipe + VIDEO
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet. Then spray the baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Trim the rough ends of the broccolini stems just a little. Cut the largest broccolini stems in half lengthwise to match the smaller pieces.
- Lay the broccolini out in a single layer on the baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set out a small bowl. Whisk together the sweet chili sauce, sesame oil, and garlic powder.
- Once the roasted broccolini comes out of the oven, brush the pieces with sweet chili glaze. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!