Chinese Chicken with Garlic Sauce
Chinese Chicken with Garlic Sauce – This fantastically easy recipe comes together quickly, especially when you prep the ingredients ahead. Serve garlic chicken with rice as a fast and flavorful weeknight meal!
Chinese Chicken and Garlic Sauce
By now I’m sure you are well aware that quick and easy dinners definitely do not have to be boring. In fact, some of my favorite meals are ready in under 30 minutes.
However, for a truly amazing dinner, there is no denying that marinating the protein for 30+ minutes really kicks up the flavor of the entire dish… While this does add a bit more time to prep, there is no actual extra effort needed.
Case in point: This easy Chinese Garlic Chicken recipe is great for any night of the week. It features tender chunks of chicken breasts (or thighs) marinated in a fabulous stir fry sauce, then quickly cooked in one pan with chopped fresh bell peppers.
For maximum tastiness, the chicken sits cozy in the stir fry sauce for at least 30 minutes, but ideally up to 8 hours. So you can even prep it in the morning before work, let it marinate all day, and stir fry it up in minutes for dinner. Then sprinkle on sliced scallions and sesame seeds, pair with rice, and enjoy!
Ingredients You Need
- Boneless chicken breasts – or thighs
- Garlic cloves – minced
- Dark soy sauce – or coconut aminos
- Honey – or agave
- Cornstarch – to thicken the sauce
- Bell peppers – any color
- Scallions – chopped
- Sesame oil – best for flavor, but neutral-flavored high heat oil will work as well
- Sesame seeds – to garnish
How to Make Chinese-Style Chicken and Garlic Sauce
First, chop the chicken into 1-inch chunks. Place the chicken pieces in a large zip bag. Pour in the minced garlic, soy sauce, honey, and cornstarch.
Zip the bag and shake to coat. Then refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes, but up to 8 hours.
When ready to cook, place a large saute pan (or wok) over medium-high heat. Chop the bell peppers into 1-inch pieces. Chop the scallions.
Next, add the sesame oil to the pan. Once hot, add the bell peppers. Sear for 2-3 minutes, stirring only a couple of times.
Get the Complete (Printable) Chinese Chicken with Garlic Sauce Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Add in the chicken and marinade. Stir and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens.
Pro Tip: If the sauce thickens too much, add a couple of tablespoons of water to thin it out.
Taste, then season with salt if needed.
Sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve warm and enjoy!
Pair this saucy stir-fried chicken and veggies with a side of fluffy white rice or fried rice. For an even heartier meal consider also serving a side of homemade lo mein.
Enjoy it as a low-carb meal with roasted cauliflower rice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Definitely! It’s great for meal prepping; simply chop your veggie ingredients and keep them stored in separate containers in the refrigerator for a few days. Chop and marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge. Then cook per the recipe instructions, and dinner is ready in about 15 minutes!
Alternatively, the entire chicken with garlic sauce can be cooked, cooled, and refrigerated for a complete make-ahead meal.
Use your favorite GF soy sauce or coconut aminos and this instantly is a gluten-free recipe.
You can add a splash or two of your favorite Asian hot sauce, like sriracha. You might like this spicy (Better Than) Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken recipe, too!
The delicious chicken stir fry marinade is fantastic to make beef or pork with garlic sauce! Or make it as a vegan dish by using cubed extra firm tofu.
Leftover stir-fried chicken and peppers will keep well for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Looking For More Easy Weeknight Dinners? Be Sure To Also Try These Recipes:
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Chinese Sesame Chicken
- Hawaiian Chicken Skillet Recipe
- The Ultimate Bourbon Chicken
- (Better Than) Panda Express Orange Chicken
Chinese Chicken with Garlic Sauce
- 2 – 2.5 pounds boneless chicken breast or boneless thighs
- 8-10 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 bell peppers any color
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Chop the chicken into 1 inch chunks. Place the chicken pieces in a large zip bag. Pour in the minced garlic, soy sauce, honey, and cornstarch. Zip the bag and shake to coat. Then refrigerate and marinate for at least 30 minutes, but up to 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, place a large saute pan (or wok) over medium-high heat. Chop the bell peppers into 1-inch pieces. Chop the scallions.
- Add the sesame oil to the pan. Once hot, add the bell peppers. Sear for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and marinade. Stir and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens. (If the sauce thickens too much, add a couple tablespoons of water.) Taste, then season with salt if needed.
- Sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve with a side of rice.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: 42 Crazy Good Chinese Chicken Recipes to Make You Rethink That Take-Out Order - Quick Telecast
Pingback: 42 Crazy Good Chinese Chicken Recipes to Make You Rethink That Take-Out Order – Cupidshealth Blog
Chinese food is my favorite!! This meal is so delicious!! It was easy to make & great wit rice or chow mein!
This is one of my favorite easy weeknight meals!
So yummy! Totally agree that marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes really amps up the flavor.
I love finding ways to make Chinese food at home and this is exactly what I needed! thank you for sharing!