Instant Pot Sweet Soy Chicken Thighs
Instant Pot Sweet Soy Chicken Thighs Recipe – Melt in your mouth chicken thighs made in the pressure cooker, with a sweet sticky ginger garlic soy glaze!
Why We Love This Soy Sauce Chicken
This chicken, guys…
Ultra-moist, fall-off-the-bone chicken thighs. Salty-sweet sticky glaze. And a rich Asian spiced aroma, wafting from the Instant Pot.
These things together create the most amazing chicken.
A Sweet Soy Chicken Recipe For Your Weekly Meal Plan
Today’s Instant Pot Soy Sauce Chicken Thighs are one of “those recipes” you are going to make over and over. My kids beg for it on a weekly basis, and have since the first time I made it.
Seasoned with a handful of pantry staple ingredients, these pressure-cooked chicken thighs are undeniably addictive. You can literally press a fork on the top of each thigh and the meat just falls into shreds.
You can even pull the meat off the bones and mix it into quick pasta dishes!
This soy sauce chicken recipe uses simple pantry staples to make the most tender chicken ever! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce – I bought a gluten-free version
- Packed Brown Sugar
- Minced Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Grated Ginger
- Sesame Oil
- Cornstarch or Arrowroot
- Garnish – Sesame Seeds and Chopped Scallions
How to Make Instant Pot Sweet Soy Chicken Thighs
Brown the chicken on the skin side only in batches. This gives the skin color which helps it further retain the color of the glaze while pressure cooking, for a prettier finished product.
Then pile all the chicken thighs in the Instant Pot.
Whisk together a quick marinade made with light soy sauce, brown sugar, a little ketchup for color, garlic, and ginger.
Pour the glaze over the chicken.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure to sear the chicken thighs nice and good! This will ensure good color and crispy chicken skin!
- You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast in this recipe. Just make sure to cook the chicken to 165 F!
- If you are unsure if the chicken is done, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
How Long To Cook Chicken Thighs In The Instant Pot?
Seal the lid on the pot and pressure cook the chicken for 20 minutes.
You can enjoy the chicken immediately, or whisk in a little cornstarch at the end to thicken the glaze.
Pull the chicken thighs out of the Instant Pot with tongs and ladle the sweet glaze over the top of each piece.
Don’t have dinner plans tonight? Give our Instant Pot Sweet Soy Chicken Thighs a try.
You will not be sorry!
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I serve with sweet soy chicken?
Sweet soy chicken has Asian-inspired flavors that will go well with a plethora of different side dishes! Try serving this chicken with fried rice and roasted vegetables, or my copycat Panda Express veggies and some dumplings!
How Long Do The Soy Sauce Chicken Leftovers Last?
You can store this dish in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Don’t have an Instant Pot?
You can make this recipe in the slow cooker. Follow step 1 on the stovetop and place the chicken thighs in a slow cooker. Pour the glaze over the top. Then cover the slow cooker and set it on high for approximately 6 hours. Follow step 4 to thicken the sauce.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Bang Bang Shrimp
- Perfect Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef Cabbage Irish Stew
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Chinese Sesame Chicken
- Dreamy Instant Pot Chicken and Rice by 40 Aprons
Check out the printable recipe card below for the total cook time and nutrition information including calories, carbohydrates, protein, saturated fat, cholesterol, sodium, potassium, fiber, vitamin c, and calcium percentages.
Instant Pot Sweet Soy Chicken Thighs
- Turn the Instant Pot on the Sauté setting and add the sesame oil. Add several of the chicken thighs, skin-side-down. Brown the skin for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Then remove the chicken thighs and repeat with the remaining thighs until all have been browned on the skin side. Place all the chicken thighs back in the Instant Pot, skin-side-up. *This first step is optional. Then skin will not stay crisp once pressure cooked, but the browning process gives the skin a much richer color once finished. If skipping the browning, pile the raw thighs in the Instant Pot and move onto step 2.
- Pour the soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, garlic, and ginger in a bowl. Whisk well, then pour the glaze over the top of the chicken.
- Lock the lid into place. Set the Instant Pot on Pressure Cook High for 20 minutes. Then turn the Instant Pot Off and perform a Quick Release . Once the pressure valve button drops, it’s safe to open the lid.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of the glaze out of the pot. Whisk 1 tablespoon cornstarch into the glaze. Then turn the Instant Pot back on Sauté and stir the cornstarch slurry back into the pot. Let it simmer for 2-4 minutes to thicken the glaze. Turn off the pot. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallions before servings.