Crisp Zesty Roasted Okra, a healthy summer side dish with tons of flavor!
Fried okra is one of my favorite southern side dishes. I especially like to eat it in the summer, when the okra is fresh-picked.
It’s the perfect accompaniment to barbecue and fried or sautéed fish.
However, fried okra is not the healthiest side dish.
The fry oil and breading add a lot of fat and calories. Plus, who wants to stand over hot fry oil in the summertime? Not me.
Today’s Zesty Roasted Okra recipe is a lighter healthier take on fried okra with tons of spicy appeal!
The okra stays moist in the center, yet is crispy around the edges. A simple blend of spices offers huge flavor that complements the okra, not overpowers it.
To Make Zesty Roasted Okra
Quickly toss fresh okra with a little olive oil, ground cumin, ancho chile powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper.
Then spread them out on a baking sheet and roast in a high-heat oven.
Zesty Roasted Okra makes a wonderful side dish, or finger food, for healthy snacking.
Give them a try!
Zesty Roasted Okra
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time:3 minutes
Cook Time:18 minutes
Zesty Roasted Okra Recipe – Fresh summer okra roasted on a sheet pan with cumin, ancho chili powder, and garlic. This simple healthy side dish is fantastic!
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh okra, washed and air dried
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the okra in the center of a large rimmed sheet pan and drizzle oil over the top. Add all seasoning and toss well to coat.
- Spread the okra out in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Shake the pan once at the 10 minute mark to turn the okra.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 6
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 86 Calories
- Total Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Sodium: 398mg
- Carbohydrates: 8.6g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Protein: 2.2g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!