Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you’re trying to eat healthier but crave big bold flavors, have we got the perfect dish for you!
This Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast recipe is similar to fried chicken, with a crunchy coating covering a juicy, hot sauce-drenched chicken breast. But our baked version is much lower in fat and calories than oil-fried foods.
It’s a simple 5-ingredient recipe that’s ready in under an hour and a half, including the marinating time!
The Best Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast Recipe
We use breadcrumbs for the best, crunchiest coating, and so this is not a low carb recipe. However, baked Buffalo Chicken Breasts are much healthier than most breaded chicken recipes or buffalo wings that are deep fried in oil… But they still have that same great Frank’s RedHot buffalo flavor you know and love!
This recipe works wonders to squelch “fried food” cravings, and is an easy weeknight meal, or relaxing weekend dinner. Enjoy a Crispy Buffalo Chicken Breast with any number of southern sides, or chop up an oven-baked chicken breast and use it as a delicious protein in fresh green salads.
The breasts keep well for several days in the fridge, and are easy to make ahead and incorporate as part of your weekly meal plan.
What Ingredients You Need
Our simple, slightly spicy, and oh-so satisfying crispy buffalo breasts only require 5 ingredients that are readily available at any grocery store.
Here is everything needed to make the easiest and tastiest Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast recipe:
- Chicken breasts – boneless and skinless
- Frank’s RedHot Sauce – or any other cayenne pepper sauce you prefer
- Panko breadcrumbs – for the crispiest, crunchiest coating
- Ranch dip mix – to create the complete buffalo chicken wing flavor
- Nonstick cooking spray – your preferred cooking oil for spraying the chicken breasts before baking to crispy perfection
Keep reading for our tips to make this a low-carb or gluten-free dish!
How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Breasts in the Oven
First, set out a large 9X13 inch baking dish. Place the chicken breasts in the dish and pour the Frank’s RedHot evenly over the top. Shake the pan a little so the sauce fully coats the chicken.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. The breasts can marinate in the cayenne pepper sauce up to a full day before they are baked, so you can even prep this dish the night beforehand or in the morning before you set off for work.
Once you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Set out a rimmed baking sheet and line the pan with parchment paper. Then spray the parchment with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
Next get out a pie pan. Pour the panko and ranch dip mix in the pie pan, and mix well.
Working one at a time, use tongs or your hands to lift the chicken breasts out of the cayenne sauce and shake to remove the excess sauce. Note: If the chicken is too wet, the crust won’t get crispy.
Then dunk the chicken breast in the panko, and push around to coat well. Lay each coated breast on the prepared baking sheet.
After all of the buffalo chicken breasts are coated in crumbs and on the baking sheet, give them a light spray over the top with the nonstick spray oil.
Get the Complete (Printable) Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Bake for about 20 minutes, until the tops are golden and crispy. There should be no need to turn the breasts as they cook.
Serve the baked Buffalo Chicken Breasts warm with your favorite dinner side dishes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What sides go well with oven baked Buffalo Chicken Breasts?
Bold and spicy Buffalo Chicken Breasts go well with nearly any of your favorite side dishes. Enjoy with a green salad or fresh cooked veggies, like sautéed or steamed green beans, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts for a complete well-balanced meal.
Plus, you can add chopped Buffalo Chicken Breast to salads for a fantastically flavorful and healthy(ish) lunch. This is a great way to use leftovers!
How can I make this a gluten free low carb Crispy Buffalo Chicken Breast recipe?
Gluten free panko crumbs work very well in this recipe!
You can also use “Pork Rind Panko” for a low carb option; however, the crust does not get quite as crispy as it does with traditional panko.
How long do baked chicken breasts keep well?
Sealed in an airtight container leftover chicken will keep well for up to 4 days.
Although you can use a microwave, I recommend reheating by baking in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to enjoy crispy leftovers.
You can also freeze cooked Buffalo Chicken Breasts! Allow them to cool completely before sealing in an airtight container, like a freezer bag. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Looking for More Delicious Chicken Breast Recipes?
- Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Easy Chicken Kiev Recipe
- Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe
- Roasted Red Pepper Skillet Chicken
- Crispy Chicken Piccata Recipe
Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Breasts
- Set out a 9X13 inch baking dish. Place the chicken breasts in the dish and pour the Frank’s RedHot over the top. Shake the pan a little so the sauce fully coats the chicken. Then cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Set out a rimmed baking sheet and line the pan with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with nonstick cooking spray. Set out a pie pan. Then pour the panko and ranch dip mix in the pie pan. Mix well.
- One at a time, lift the chicken breasts out of the cayenne sauce and shake to remove the excess sauce. (If the chicken is too wet, the crust won’t get crispy.)
- Dunk the chicken breast in the panko and coat well. Lay each breast on the baking sheet.
- Once all the breasts are coated in crumbs, spray the tops with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until the tops are golden and crispy. (Bake smaller breasts for approximately 15 minutes.) Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!