Our favorite 7-Ingredient Company Potatoes recipe is a true crowd pleaser at holiday meals.
With as many new recipes we create and test each month, you’d think we never have time for repeats. However today’s 7-Ingredient Company Potatoes is a dish I’ve been making for seventeen years!
This is a recipe I must credit to my mother-in-law Sue. When Lt. Dan and I first were married he would sometimes slip and tell me no one was a better cook than his mother.
Although my mom had taught me quite a few tricks in the kitchen, her cooking style was quite different than Sue’s cooking style, and there were things Dan wouldn’t touch because his mom never made them.
I decided if my new husband was ever going to believe I could cook as well as his mom, I was going to have to learn to make some of her recipes.
Each time we visited his parents, I would take notes on Sue’s recipes and write them down in a little kitchen journal when I got home.
I started making her top chicken recipes, her lasagna, and this simple potato bake she called Company Potatoes.
Over the years I’ve noticed similar potato dishes online with less appreciative names like… White Trash Potatoes, Redneck Potatoes, and Ghetto Potatoes.
Just because this dish is made with less than chic ingredients doesn’t mean it has to be low quality.
Sue’s Company Potatoes side dish has morphed over the years in our house. I’ve started substituting cream of chicken soup for salsa verde or green enchilada sauce to kick it up a notch.
And unbelievably, Lt. Dan approves!
Using frozen Potatoes O’Brien (potato chunks with onions and peppers), sour cream, salsa verde, shredded cheese, and chicken base, the potatoes are mixed and bake in the same dish.
Then corn flakes are crumbled and mixed with butter to sprinkle over the surface, creating a golden crunchy top.
Give it a try!
7-Ingredient Company Potatoes
7-Ingredient Company Potatoes Recipe - This down home comfort dish is the perfect side dish for holiday meals.
- 2 bags frozen Potatoes O’Brien mix, thawed (28-ounces bags)
- 24 ounces sour cream (could be low fat)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups salsa verde, or green enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon powdered chicken base, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Pour the potatoes, sour cream, salsa or enchilada sauce, shredded cheese, and chicken base in a 3 quart baking dish. Mix well, and spread out evenly.
- Place the cornflakes in a plastic zip bag. Zip closed and crush the corn flakes. Then pour in the melted butter and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the buttered cornflakes evenly over the top of the potatoes. Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake another 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.