Coca-Cola Spatchcock Chicken
If you’ve been checking in over the last couple weeks you may have discovered a theme…
Last week I posted a sweet glistening Coke Glazed Ham Recipe, and just two days ago I shared a tutorial on How to Spatchcock a Chicken.
Although both posts share amazing recipes you have to try, I posted them in this particular order to warm you up to the idea of Coca-Cola Spatchcock Chicken.
Coke Chicken Recipe
This is not the first Coca-Cola recipe ever to be posted online.
Coca-Cola has been used in many ways over the years to glaze and marinate chicken breasts, wings, bone-in chicken pieces, ribs, steaks, ham, brisket, and just about every other protein imaginable.
However, I particularly like this roasted spatchcock chicken variation, because spatchcocking a chicken allows the skin to get extra crispy.
When you brush the top of the chicken with a rich sweetly-spiced Coca-Cola glaze, and roast it in the oven, you end up with the most tantalizing chicken skin ever, and ultra juicy meat underneath.
How To Spatchcock A Chicken
Spatchcocking a chicken, AKA butterflying a whole bone-in chicken, is much easier than you might think.
It takes very little
Although I share thorough instructions on How To Spatchcock a Chicken below in the official
How To Make Coca-Cola Spatchcock Chicken
- Allow the Cola Glaze to simmer on the stovetop until it thickens to the consistency of barbecue sauce.
- Spatchcock the chicken in just 3 easy steps.
- Then all you need to do is brush the quick sticky-sweet Coke Glaze over the top of the chicken and let it work its magic in the oven!
- It’s a good idea to take the chicken out of the oven in the middle of the cooking time, to brush more sauce over the top of the chicken. That way, the skin has plenty of sauce to help it caramelize.
Get the Full (Printable) Coca-Cola Chicken Recipe Below!
This Easy Coke Glazed Spatchcock Roasted Chicken Recipe is so easy to make, and oh so delicious!
It’s a great main dish for casual dinners. However, you can easily dress it up with up-scale side dishes for holiday meals and dinner parties.
More Fabulous Chicken Recipes
- Keto Chicken Lasagna Cups
- Instant Pot Kung Pao Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Confetti Quinoa Stuffed Chicken
Coca-Cola Spatchcock Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet and brush the surface with oil.
- Set a small sauce pot over medium heat. Add the Coca-Cola, ketchup, salt, and all spices. Stir well. Allow the mixture to simmer until it thickens to the consistency of BBQ sauce. Stir every few minutes.
- Meanwhile spatchcock the chicken: Look and the bird carefully to determine where you see the breast meat. Then flip the chicken over and find the backbone.
- Use strong kitchen shears to cut alongside the backbone, from one end of the bird to the other. Then cut along the other side of the backbone to remove it completely. Keep the shears very close to the backbone as to not cut off any meat.
- Open the cavity of the chicken to find the breastbone. Now cut a shallow incision through the flexible bone, from one end to the other, yet not all the way through the breast meat and skin on the other side. This allows the chicken to be flattened.
- Place the chicken breast-side-up on the rimmed baking sheet. Push the breasts down to flatten the chicken. Pull the drumsticks down and together to create the classic spatchcock shape. Then deal with the wings… On some chickens, the tips of the wings have already been trimmed off. In this case, leave them as-is. However, on other chickens, the wings tips are intact and are likely to burn before the chicken is cooked through. You can either cut them off at the joint, or tuck them up and under the breasts.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, including any excess juices on the baking sheet. Brush half the sauce over the chicken and place it in the oven.
- Roast the chicken for 20 minutes. Then brush the remaining sauce over the chicken and bake another 15 minutes, or until the interior temperature reads 165 degrees F.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!