Better Than Sex Cake (Retro Recipe!)
Retro Better Than Sex Cake – This classic poke cake recipe is made with Devil’s food cake mix, shredded coconut, whipped topping, caramel, and chocolate toffee candy bars for a deliciously decadent “naughty” dessert that everyone loves!
Imagine it… Thick, rich, chocolate coconut cake soaked with sticky-sweet caramel sauce and covered with fluffy whipped cream topping and chopped toffee candy bars. I mean, it’s not difficult at all to see why this recipe is called Better Than Sex Cake!
This was seriously THE cake once served at nearly every 80’s party. Although chocolate caramel poke cake was served to everyone, all of the parents would whisper the name with a giggle… At least that’s how I remember it. LOL!
What is Better Than Sex Cake?
Better Than Sex Cake is also known as BTS cake, for those who like a bit more modesty with their desserts.
It features boxed Devil’s food cake mix, shredded coconut, chopped Heath bars, and Cool Whip – so basically all of your favorite “naughty” nearly ready-to-use sweet treats. The baked chocolate cake is poked (hence the name Poke Cake) and soaked with luscious caramel and sweetened condensed milk sauce. So every forkful is moist, soft, and utterly decadent.
Layers of crunchy chunks of toffee candy bars, fluffy whipped topping, and an extra drizzle of caramel and chocolate make this cake a serious texture party.
Serve it at your next gathering and I promise there will be no whispers… Everyone will loudly declare their love for this BTS chocolate poke cake!
Ingredients You Need
- Devil’s food cake mix – plus the additional ingredients needed per the box, like oil and eggs
- Sweetened shredded coconut – you can leave out if preferred
- Caramel sauce – store-bought or homemade salted caramel sauce
- Sweetened condensed milk – optional, but I highly recommend
- “Heath” chocolate toffee bars – or other chocolate toffee candy bars, chopped
- Cool Whip – or your favorite refrigerated whipped topping
- Chocolate syrup – feel free to use low sugar
How to Make Better Than Sex Cake
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. Bake the cake according to the package instructions, adding 1 cup shredded coconut to the batter before baking.
Meanwhile, chop the Heath bars. Then mix ¾ cup caramel sauce with ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk.
Once the cake comes out of the oven, use a chopstick or wooden skewer to poke holes over the entire surface of the cake.
Slowly pour the caramel mixture over the cake so that it runs down into all the holes.
Then sprinkle 1 cup of chopped Heath bars over the cake. Refrigerate until cool.
Once the cake has cooled, spread the Cool Whip evenly over the top.
Get the Complete (Printable) Better Than Sex Cake Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Drizzle the cake with the remaining ¼ cup caramel sauce and chocolate syrup. Then sprinkle the top with the remaining chopped Heath bar.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Keep the cake in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy, and serve the slices cold.
Try some of these classic snacks for a truly fun-tastic retro party!
- Sausage Balls with cheese
- Taco Pizza (layered taco dip)
- Pimento Cheese Deviled Eggs
- Hot Onion Dip with Fried Onions
- Chorizo and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Spicy Ranch Oyster Crackers
- Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
- Steak Tartare
Frequently Asked Questions
Chocolate toffee “Heath” bars are classic, but you certainly can swap them with other candies you like! Try chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups, almond Hershey’s bars, or chopped Twix bars.
Use your favorite GF-friendly boxed Devil’s food cake mix. All of the other ingredients are naturally gluten-free!
Nope! If you make the cake according to the recipe you should get a perfectly moist sponge. Keep the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve as the cold will help keep the caramel sauce and cake nice and thick.
It will keep well for up to a week in the fridge. Cover the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap, or transfer leftovers to an airtight container.
Looking for More Decadent Dessert Recipes?
- Pecan Pie Bars (Caramel Bar)
- Chocolate Banana Cake with Coconut
- Brownie Cookies with Toffee Bits
- Strawberry-Colada Jello Poke Cake
- Chocolate “Truffle” Mousse Cake
Better Than Sex Cake (Retro BTS Cake Recipe!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Set out a 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Bake the cake according to the package instructions, adding 1 cup shredded coconut to the batter before baking.
- Meanwhile, chop the Heath bars. Then mix ¾ cup caramel sauce with ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, use a chopstick or wooden skewer to poke holes over the entire surface of the cake.
- Slowly pour the caramel mixture over the cake so that it runs down into all the holes.
- Then sprinkle 1 cup of chopped Heath bars over the cake. Refrigerate until cool.
- Once the cake has cooled completly, spread the Cool Whip over the top. Drizzle the cake with the remaining ¼ cup caramel sauce and chocolate syrup. Then sprinkle the top with the remaining chopped Heath bar.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!