Caramel Pecan Pie Bars
Dazzling decadent Caramel Pecan Pie Bars, the perfect combination of cookie and pie!
I’m so excited to share my Caramel Pecan Pie Bars recipe with you today. They are sooooo good, guys.
These little beauties came into existence for several reasons…
As I was thinking about what kinds of pies I might want to make for Thanksgiving this year, I started to ponder my love-hate relationship with pecan pie.
I love the general nutty-sweet flavor, but despise the gelatinous texture of classic pecan pie. Surely there had to be a way to get around this.
Second, I recently decided I like pies better in bar-form so they can be cut into squares and picked up like cookie bars.
Third, I decided that as long as I was going to try to make pecan pie in cookie bar form, I might as will use cookie dough as the crust.
Fourth, I determined caramel should be involved. Well, because caramel should be involved in nearly every dessert in my humble opinion.
Therefore rich chewy Caramel Pecan Pie Bars were created to satisfy my whim, and I don’t think I’ve ever loved a first-run recipe more.
In fact, if you love pecan pie, sugar cookies, and caramel, I’m pretty sure I just made the cut for new BFF material.
As mentioned, I started the Caramel Pecan Pie Bars by pressing my traditional sugar cookie dough into a parchment paper lined bar pan. I baked the cookie base for a short time to help it set.
Then I warmed dulce de leche (thick rich Mexican style caramel) in a microwave-safe bowl and mixed it with shelled pecans, a little flour, and a little cinnamon.
That’s it. Only four ingredients to make a wonder caramel pecan pie filling!
Spread the pecan pie filling over the surface of the cookie base and place back in the oven to finish baking.
What you end up with are tender nutty cookie bars with a rich luxurious flavor, a soft chewy interior, and a crusty top.
Heaven. Pure heaven.
You can cut the Caramel Pecan Pie Bars into 24 large square bars for friends and family, or cut them into 48 smaller rectangular bars for larger parties and work events.
Either way, all who partake will look at you with a new level of warmth and admiration. That is the power of Caramel Pecan Pie Bars.
You’re welcome. *wink*
Caramel Pecan Pie Bars
For the Cookie Base:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 10 X 15 inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the Cookie Base: Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then scrape the bowl and add the egg and vanilla. Beat again to combine. Then with the mixer running, slowly add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Scrape the bowl and beat again until smooth.
- Dump the cookie dough out onto the prepared baking sheet. Use your hands to press the dough out evenly from corner to corner. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scoop both cans of dulce de leche into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1-2 minutes until very warm. Then mix in the nuts, flour, and cinnamon. Mix well to avoid clumps.
- Carefully spread the nuts mixture evenly over the surface of the cookie base. Press it down a little to even out the filling. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden on top. Once cooled, pull the whole sheet out of the pan by the edges of the parchment paper and cut into bars.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!