Irresistible gooey Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, a treat you’ll make again and again.
There are treats you make on rare special occasions. Then there are treats that are so comforting they end up being family favorites that are replicated month after month, and year after year.
Salted Carmel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are the latter treat variety.
Sticky chocolate chip bars oozing with thick buttery caramel filling… These cookie bars scream family game night, movie night, or any other kind of cozy night you want to share with people you love.
This Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars recipe came from a brand new cookbook my friend Shelly Jaronsky wrote called The Cookies & Cups Cookbook, named after her wildly popular dessert blog.
This cookbook is a reverse of what you usually find in cookbooks, with a whole lot of savory recipes, followed by a short dessert section.
Instead Shelly focuses on eating dessert first, sharing dozens of tantalizing treat recipes, with a section on her favorite family meals at the end. I love how Shelly thinks!
From the moment I opened the book and perused the pages, I knew this would be the first recipe I would try.
After all, it’s salted caramel and chocolate chip cookies… TOGETHER.
For me, that’s the perfect marriage of sweet flavors and textures.
These Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies Bars are not the only winner in this book. Next on my list of recipes to try…
- Marbled Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Pumpkin Crumb Cake
- Banana Blondie-Bottomed Cheesecake
- Billionaire Cookie Dough Cake
- And Buttermint Pie
Just to name a few. I love all the tips Shelly adds for fool-proof baking, and the stunning photos that show the final desserts in all their glory.
You can find The Cookies & Cups Cookbook on Amazon and in bookstores across the country. It makes a great gift for your favorite baker… And for yourself!
Want to win a copy?
Shelly is giving away a copy of her amazing book along with a dessert squad t-shirt, i.e. my new favorite t-shirt.
To enter simply follow the prompts in the automatic entry form below.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 10 ounces soft caramels, unwrapped
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a with foil and liberally coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the softened butter with both sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Mix well, then scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Turn the speed to low and add the flour. Beat to combine, then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium sauce pot, add the sweetened condensed milk and unwrapped caramels. Set over medium-low heat and stir until the caramels melt, making a smooth caramel filling. Pour the filling over the cookie dough base.
- Drop the remaining cookie dough over the caramel filling in small teaspoons-sized clumps. Bake the bars for 25-30 minutes, until the center is just set.
- Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and allow the bars to cool completely. Then lift the bars out of the pan by the edges of the foil and cut. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
NOTE: These bars freeze really well! We pulled 2-4 bars out of the freezer at a time and enjoyed them over the course of a month. Once thawed they taste just as good as freshly-baked.