Sweet Gooey Blueberry Cookie Bars with a citrus shortbread crumb topping. A marvelous way to enjoy summer blueberries!
Classic blueberry pie is one of my all-time favorite summer desserts. However for picnics and parties, sometimes you need a treat that’s a little more user-friendly.
Like a hand-held version of blueberry pie… Yet with a decadent cookie crust, and gooey blueberry center.
Today’s fresh Gooey Blueberry Cookie Bars are just the treat to usher us into berry season.
I made a simple buttery shortbread cookie crust with lime and orange zest to punch up the flavor.
Then I made a sweet blueberry filling with fresh blueberries, sweetened condensed milk, and cornstarch. The filling has a thick texture that sets up nicely when the Gooey Blueberry Cookie Bars cool.
To assemble, simply press a little over half the dough into the bottom of a baking dish. Pour the blueberry filling over the top and drop little pinches of the remaining dough over the surface.
Then bake the Gooey Blueberry Cookie Bars until the top is golden.
It’s important to let the Gooey Blueberry Cookie Bars cool and set after baking… You don’t want all the filling to run out when you cut them.
I guarantee you, these sticky Gooey Blueberry Cookie Bars made with fresh summer berries will be the highlight of your week.
Why not whip up a batch to take to work, or to your next neighborhood potluck. They’d be a fantastic addition to the dessert table on 4th of July this year!
Gooey Blueberry Cookie Bars
Yield: 20 large bars
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
Fresh Gooey Blueberry Cookie Bars Recipe – Shortbread cookies bars recipe made with citrus and fresh blueberry filling.
- 2 pints fresh blueberries (4 cups)
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one lime
- Zest of one orange
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the blueberries, sweetened condensed milk, and cornstarch in a medium sauce pot. Set the pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Stir and simmer for 3-5 minutes, smashing part of the blueberries with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl on an electric stand mixer. Beat on high for 3-5 minutes. Then add the vanilla extract, flour, salt, and citrus zest. Scrape the bowl and beat again until well combined.
- Divide the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Press the larger piece of dough into an even layer in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the blueberry mixture over the top and shake the dish to even it out. Then drop small pieces of the remaining dough over the surface of the blueberry filling.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden. Cool the bars to room temperature in the dish. Then gently lift the entire sheet of bars out of the pan by the edges of the parchment paper. Cut into squares. Store in an air-tight container for 3-4 days at room temperature, or for 7-10 days refrigerated.
Yield: 20 large bars, Serving Size: 20
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 340 Calories
- Total Fat: 16.5g
- Saturated Fat: 10.3g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Sodium: 249mg
- Carbohydrates: 45.2g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sugar: 28.7g
- Protein: 4.5g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!