The Best Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe
The Best Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe – You won’t believe how incredibly easy it is to make creamy and luscious chocolate pudding from scratch! Skip the box and give this classic homemade pudding recipe a try.
Rich, silky, perfectly chilled pudding is a classic dessert recipe that is dear to our hearts. My husband and I both loved eating puddings as kids, and it’s such a joy to share them with our children now.
There are so many different, delicious ways that a great pudding can be enjoyed. Like in this fruity and unique Homemade Strawberry Pudding recipe, or one of my personal favorites, as a base for a Layered Banana Pudding Cake.
No matter how it’s served, there’s something so wonderfully comforting and nostalgic about savoring creamy spoonfuls of sweet, cold pudding.
And did you know that it is ridiculously easy to make pudding from scratch?
Today we are sharing what is absolutely the Best Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe… Ever. It’s so terrifically simple and quick, I swear you’ll never buy the boxed stuff again!
Easy Homemade Chocolate Pudding
Why make pudding from scratch when you can pick up a package of mix at the store?
Homemade pudding skips those weird preservatives and chemicals you find in boxed varieties. Plus, you can personalize the flavors with whatever you like, so you are not stuck to whatever is available on the supermarket shelf!
I’m not exaggerating at all when I say that it’s almost just as easy, and tastes SO much better when you make pudding at home with just a few pantry staple ingredients.
It’s basically just sugar, milk, cornstarch and flavoring, mixed, simmered, and then cooled. How simple is that?!
What Ingredients You Need
Below you’ll find the ingredients necessary to make a chocolate version of our classic homemade pudding recipe. But this is also a great base recipe for adding in your favorite goodies like cinnamon, peanut butter powder, and/or flavored extracts.
Here’s what you need to make the BEST pudding from scratch:
- Granulated sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Instant coffee granules
I include instant coffee granules in this Homemade Chocolate Pudding recipe to add depth and richness to the chocolate flavor; however, feel free to omit them if you prefer.
The butter is added at the end to offer a silkier texture and beautiful sheen. It’s not absolutely necessary, but oh my does it make a lovely difference!
How to Make the Best Chocolate Pudding from Scratch
It really only takes 10 minutes and a few easy steps to whip up an unbelievably indulgent chocolate pudding.
1. First, set a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt, and coffee granules. Stir to combine, and then pour in the milk. Whisk well to remove all clumps.
2. Next, bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Be sure not to turn the heat too high or you’ll boil and overcook your pudding!
Once simmering, stir consistently for a couple of minutes as the pudding thickens. It should be fairly thick to coat a spoon or spatula, but will continue to thicken as it cools.
3. Lastly, remove from heat and immediately stir in the butter and vanilla extract. Keep stirring until the butter is fully melted and combined.
Just look at that gorgeous shine!
If you feel like you were unable to stir in all the clumps, you can pour the pudding through a mesh strainer to remove any debris. Otherwise, scoop the pudding into a storage container and press a piece of plastic wrap down over the surface of the pudding, so a skin doesn’t form as it cools.
Place the container(s) of pudding covered with plastic wrap in the fridge to completely cool and thicken, for about 2 hours.
Once it is fully chilled, you can remove the plastic wrap and cover the chocolate pudding with a lid. Serve cold.
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, pudding made from scratch will keep well for up to a week.
This chocolate pudding recipe also makes a fabulous chocolate pie filling! Make sure to cook it the full 2 minutes, so it sets very thick.
How Can I Make the Best Vegan Chocolate Pudding from Scratch?
It’s easy to make this a Vegan Homemade Pudding recipe! You can substitute almond or coconut milk for the cow’s milk, and then use your favorite plant-based vegan butter substitute for the butter.
What Other Pudding Flavors Do You Recommend?
Add peanut butter powder or mint extract to our homemade chocolate pudding recipe to really add *umph* to the chocolatey goodness.
Other extracts that pair perfectly with this recipe are almond or hazelnut for a rich and nutty flavor, or a bit of orange or lime extract to create a bright and zesty chocolate orange pudding.
Share your favorite flavor combinations in the comments!
Looking for More Delicious Chocolate Dessert Recipes?
- 2 Ingredient Easy Chocolate Fondue
- Quintessential Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Pots de Creme with Espresso Whipped Cream
- French Silk Chocolate Brownies
- Best Chocolate Sugar Cookies
The Best Homemade Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- Set a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt, and coffee granules. Stir to combine, then pour in the milk. Whisk well to remove all clumps.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer. Once simmering, stir consistently for 1-2 minutes, as the pudding thickness. It should be fairly thick, but will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Stir until the butter is fully melted and combined.
- If you feel like you were unable to stir in all the clumps, you can pour the pudding through a mesh strainer to remove any debris. Otherwise, scoop the pudding into a storage container and press a piece of plastic wrap down over the surface of the pudding, so a skin doesn’t form as it cools.
- Once it is fully chilled, you can remove the plastic wrap and cover it with a lid. Serve cold.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!