Easy Pumpkin Slab Pie
The Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe Ever
I have not always been a pumpkin pie lover.
Around the holidays, when other family members were reaching for the pumpkin pie, I would likely go for chocolate or apple pie. To me, pumpkin pie was dense and bland. Pumpkin spice was no magical ingredient.
One Thanksgiving I decided to try to make a pumpkin pie that I would enjoy… Something lighter in texture with a bit more punch than classic pumpkin spice.
After quite a few test runs, I found that just a couple minor alterations created what I considered the best pumpkin pie.
A pie that didn’t even need whipped cream to make it worthwhile!
One Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe – Two Secret Ingredients
That’s where the secret ingredients come into play for today’s Secret Ingredient Pumpkin Pie Recipe.
The first secret ingredient amplifies the earthy pumpkin flavor in a major way.
Instead of using traditional pumpkin pie spices, I added Chinese Five Spice, a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and szechwan peppercorns.
The cinnamon and cloves provide a touch of traditional pumpkin spice flavor, while the fennel, star anise, and szechwan peppers add a bit of POP!
Chinese Five Spice is the perfect complement to this pumpkin pie recipe, in my opinion.
Secret ingredient #2 easily fluffs-up the texture of pumpkin pie. This is done by adding cream cheese to the mix. Not so much cream cheese that you end up with a pumpkin cheesecake, mind you. Just enough.
The cream cheese gives this Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe an ultra luxurious texture that is hard to resist.
What Is Slab Pie?
Instead of making classic round pies, this Pumpkin Pie Recipe makes one large shallow rectangular pie also know as a Slab Pie.
A shallow cookie sheet would be the perfect pan for this recipe.
Why Make Slab Pie?
- Slab pies take less time to bake than traditional pumpkin pie recipes.
- They take less time to cool as well.
- Slab pies are easier to cut.
- And easier to lift out of the pan without breaking the crust.
- You get a better crust-to-filling ratio, with a slab pie.
- One slab pie can feed a crowd!
How Many Servings Does This Recipe Make?
Our Easy Pumpkin Slab Pie Recipe makes 24 servings, so it’s perfect for parties!
You could also cut smaller or larger pie pieces if you wanted a smaller or larger snack!
The smaller you cut them the more servings you’ll have and the fewer calories. Just sayin’.
What If I Want To Make This Easy Pumpkin Slab Pie Recipe In Normal Round Pie Dishes?
You can totally do this! This recipe would make two 9 inch deep-dish pies.
Make sure to bake it longer since the filling is thicker in the pans… Approximately 45-60 minutes.
What You’ll Need to Make Easy Pumpkin Slab Pie
If you’ve never been a big fan of pumpkin pie, give this slab pie a try. I think you’ll find the slight changes are just enough to make you a convert!
Below are all the ingredients you will need, including my two now not-so-secret ingredients!
For the slab pie crust:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter – cold right from the fridge
- Shortening of your choice – also cold from the fridge
- Amaretto liquor – yup, needs to be ice cold, too
For the pumpkin pie filling:
- Pumpkin puree
- Secret Ingredient #1 Cream cheese – softened at room temperature
- Brown sugar
- Large eggs
- Heavy cream
- Secret Ingredient #2 Chinese Five Spice – can substitute traditional Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Food processor – recommended
- Electric mixer – recommended
How To Make Pumpkin Pie (As A Slab Pie)
Incredibly easy to bake for a crowd, you can make this pumpkin slab pie up to a week beforehand and keep it chilled until ready to serve.
Speaking of keeping cool, note that you want your pie dough to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before using. This makes it much easier to roll and shape.
Now, here’s how to make the most incredibly aromatic, fluffy, and delicious pumpkin pie:
1. First, make your pie crust dough by pulsing together flour, sugar, salt, and then cubed cold butter and shortening in a food processor. Add ice-cold amaretto liquor and pulse again. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. While the dough chills make your pumpkin pie filling. Using an electric mixer, in a medium-size bowl beat cream cheese until fluffy. Little by little mix in spoonfuls of pumpkin puree, continuing to beat until mixture is smooth without lumps.
3. Add in brown sugar, eggs, cream, Chinese Five Spice or Pumpkin Pie Spice, and salt, and beat until smooth again.
4. Prepare the slab pie crust: Cut 25% of the dough off one end. Rewrap the smaller piece of dough and keep in the fridge. Place the larger section on a well-floured piece of wax paper, and roll into a large 12×17-inch rectangle. Carefully flip the dough over onto a 10×15-inch jelly roll pan or shallow cookie sheet and peel off the wax paper. Roll the edges under and crimp with a fork.
5. Pour the pumpkin pie filling into prepared crust, and smooth with a spatula to make even. Bake for 35-45 minutes in a 375 degree preheated oven, until the pumpkin pie has set in the middle. It should wobble just slightly when gently jiggled.
6. While the slab pie is baking, make your decorative topping from the remaining dough. Remove from fridge and roll out ¼ inch thick; use a pumpkin or leaf cookie cutter – or whatever fun fall cookie is your favorite! – to cut out approximately 24 shapes. Once you’ve removed the pumpkin pie from the oven to cool, bake your decorative pieces on a cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes, until golden.
7. After the pumpkin slab pie has completely cooled, cut into 24 pieces and top each serving with a pretty crust decoration!
See the Recipe Card Below for How to Make the Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe. Enjoy!
Here are more pie recipes that are perfect for the holidays:
- The Fluffiest Fluffernutter Pie
- Bourbon Derby Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream
- Caramel Apple Slab Pie
- No-Bake Chocolate Banoffee Pie
- Cinnamon Pie
- Brandy Apple Hand Pies
Easy Pumpkin Slab Pie Recipe
For the Pie Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. For the pie crust: In a food processor add the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine. Then cut the cold butter and shortening into cubes and place in the food processor. Pulse again until the mixture resembles small peas.
- Add 2/3 cup ice cold amaretto and pulse again. If the dough looks too dry add 1-2 more tablespoons and pulse. Dump the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press into a rectangle shape and wrap well. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese on high until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl and add a few spoonfuls of pumpkin puree and beat again. Add the remaining pumpkin puree little by little, as the mixture beats, to ensure the mixture comes together without clumps of cream cheese.
- Add in the brown sugar, followed by the egg, cream, Chinese Five Spice, and salt. Scrape the bowl again and beat until smooth.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Cut 25% of the dough off one end. Wrap the smaller piece of dough and place back in the fridge. Place the larger section on a well-floured piece of wax paper. Roll into a large 12x17-inch rectangle. Carefully flip the dough over onto a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan and peel off the wax paper. Roll the edges under and crimp with a fork.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the prepared crust and smooth out evenly. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until its set in the middle when lightly jiggled.
- For decoration, roll out the remaining piece of dough and use a pumpkin cookie cutter (or leaf shape) to cut out 24 pieces. Bake on a separate baking sheet for 5-10 minutes until golden. Once the pie is cool, cut into 24 squares and top each piece with a pie crust pumpkin!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!