Our best Secret Ingredient Perfect Pumpkin Slab Pie just in time for the holidays!
I have not always been a pumpkin pie lover.
One Thanksgiving I decided to try to make a pumpkin pie that I would enjoy… Something lighter in texture with a bit more punch.
After quite a few test runs, I found that just a couple minor alterations created what I considered a perfect pumpkin pie.
One that didn’t even need whipped cream to make it worthwhile!
That’s where the secret ingredients come into play for today’s Secret Ingredient Perfect Pumpkin Slab Pie.
You can easily fluff-up the texture of pumpkin pie by adding cream cheese to the mix. Not so much cream cheese that you end up with a pumpkin cheesecake, mind you. Just enough.
The cream cheese gives this Secret Ingredient Perfect Pumpkin Slab Pie an ultra luxurious texture that is hard to resist.
The second secret ingredient amplifies the earthy pumpkin flavor in a major way. Instead of using traditional pumpkin pie spices, I added Chinese Five Spice, a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and szechwan peppercorns.
The cinnamon and cloves provide a touch of tradition, while the fennel, star anise, and szechwan peppers adds a bit of pop!
Chinese Five Spice is the perfect complement to pumpkin pie.
Instead of making classic round pies, this Secret Ingredient Perfect Pumpkin Slab Pie recipe makes one large shallow rectangular pie.
Slab Pies are Convenient Because…
- Slab pies take less time to bake than traditional pies.
- They take less time to cool as well.
- Slab pies are easier to cut.
- And easier to lift out of the pan without breaking the crust.
Plus, our Secret Ingredient Perfect Pumpkin Slab Pie makes 24 servings, so it’s perfect for parties!
If you’ve never been a big fan of pumpkin pie, give this Secret Ingredient Perfect Pumpkin Slab Pie a try. I think you’ll find the slight changes are just enough to make you a convert!
Secret Ingredient Perfect Pumpkin Slab Pie
Yield: 24 pieces
Prep Time:30 minutes (active time)
Cook Time:30 minutes
Secret Ingredient Perfect Pumpkin Slab Pie Recipe – The Best Pumpkin Pie recipe due to two secret ingredients that improve the flavor and texture!
For the Pie Crust:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold (16 tablespoons)
- 8 tablespoons shortening, cold
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup ice cold amaretto liqueur
For the Pumpkin Filling:
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces cream cheese (could use low fat)
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Chinese Five Spice (or pumpkin pie spice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. For the pie crust: In a food processor add the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to combine. Then cut the cold butter and shortening into cubes and place in the food processor. Pulse again until the mixture resembles small peas.
- Add 2/3 cup ice cold amaretto and pulse again. If the dough looks too dry add 1-2 more tablespoons and pulse. Dump the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press into a rectangle shape and wrap well. Refrigerate for at least 3o minutes.
- Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese on high until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl and add a few spoonfuls of pumpkin puree and beat again. Add the remaining pumpkin puree little by little, as the mixture beats, to ensure the mixture comes together without clumps of cream cheese.
- Add in the brown sugar, followed by the egg, cream, vanilla, Chinese Five Spice, and salt. Scrape the bowl again and beat until smooth.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Cut 25% of the dough off one end. Wrap the smaller piece and place back in the fridge. Place the larger section on a well-floured piece of wax paper. Roll into a large 12 X 17 inch rectangle. Carefully flip the dough over onto a 10 X 15 inch jelly roll pan and peel off the wax paper. Roll the edges under and crimp with a fork.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the prepared crust and smooth out evenly. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until its set in the middle when lightly giggled.
- For decoration, roll out the remaining piece of dough and use a small pumpkin cookie cutter (or leaf shape) to cut out 24 pieces. Bake on a separate baking sheet for 5-10 minutes until golden. Once the pie is cool, cut into 24 squares and top each piece with a pie crust pumpkin!
Yield: 24 pieces, Serving Size: 24
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 300 Calories
- Total Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Sodium: 359mg
- Carbohydrates: 31.5g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sugar: 14.1g
- Protein: 4.9g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!