Spice up the holidays with Bourbon Derby Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream!
If there was ever a pie, I would urge you to make this holiday season; it’s this one…
Bourbon Derby Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream.
Kentucky bourbon whiskey, pecans, dark chocolate, buttery crust, gooey filling, and salted caramel cream, all stacked up together in layers of heavenly bliss.
Is there really any other pie that could possibly compare?
However, this year I have been completely obsessed with Derby Pie.
A classic derby pie is essentially a nut pie with chocolate chips in the mix. Usually the filling is made with either pecans or walnuts. Once baked, it sets in a gooey layer.
The chocolate chips sink to the bottom creating a molten chocolate layer that oozes out from under the nuts. This is sweet southern perfection.
However in today’s version, Bourbon Derby Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream, the pecan filling has a boozy whiskey essence, which is complemented by dark chocolate and salted caramel cream.
The beauty of our Bourbon Derby Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream is that the filling takes just moments to mix. Dump the ingredients and stir. Then pour the filling in a pie crust and place it in the oven.
It really is as easy as… Well, you know.
The only thing that could possibly make this pie even better is to bake it in and serve it on stunning porcelain enameled serving pieces.
Wait. I did that!!
Notice the stunning pie pan in the photos, and the charming two-tone plates? Or possibly the stackable mixing bowls??
They are made here in the states by Barn Light Electric. This Florida based business specializes in handcrafted porcelain enameled lighting, kitchenware, and home furnishings.
Barn Light’s kitchen collection is artisan-made, extremely sturdy, and can go from the freezer to the oven!
Barn Light makes gorgeous dinnerware, serving pieces, bakeware, mixing bowls, and cups that are wonderful holiday gifts for your favorite cook. Especially when they have everything else.
Check out Barn Light’s brand new website for gift ideas!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Barn Light Electric. All opinions are my own.
Bourbon Derby Pie with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream
Yield: 1 pie, 8+ slices
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
- 1 pie crust, homemade or refrigerated roll-out dough
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup bourbon whiskey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounce dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons salted caramel sauce + extra for top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Roll the pie crust into a circle, 3 inches wider than your pan pie, usually 12 inches to fit a 9 inch pan. Carefully move the pie crust to the pan and fit it down into the bottom. Crimp the edges. Refrigerate the crust while making the filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar, flour, eggs, butter, bourbon, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- Once the pie crust is very cold, pour the filling into the crust and set in the oven on the lowest rack. Bake until the center is firm, and the top is golden, about 45 minutes. Cool completely before moving on.
- When ready to serve the pie, whip the heavy cream on high until firm peaks form. Whip in the caramel sauce. Scoop the whipped cream onto the top of the pie and smooth out neatly. Drizzle the top of the pie with extra salted caramel sauce. Cut and serve.
Yield: 1 pie, 8+ slices, Serving Size: 1 piece
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 934 Calories
- Total Fat: 61.8g
- Saturated Fat: 23.8g
- Cholesterol: 138mg
- Sodium: 669mg
- Carbohydrates: 95.1g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sugar: 67.5g
- Protein: 9.5g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!