Impossible Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
Impossible Cheeseburger Pie – This easy Cheeseburger Pie recipe is made with savory ground beef, gooey cheese, pickles, mustard, and a thick Bisquick topping for a satisfying dish the entire family will love!
Once the school season is in full swing, our family is in ultimate go mode. After work, classes, extracurricular activities, and errands, coming together for a good meal is one of our favorite ways to slow down and catch up with each other in the evenings.
That’s why we are big fans of dinners that are quick and easy to make, require only a handful of simple ingredients, and are, of course, super tasty.
This Impossible Cheeseburger Pie recipe checks all the boxes, and then some!
The Best (Possible!) Impossible Cheeseburger Pie Recipe
Don’t let the name fool you, it is in fact possible to make a deliciously savory pie that has all the flavors of a classic hamburger you crave!
Ground beef is cooked with pickle relish and mustard for that terrifically tangy burger-ness in every bite. It’s then layered like a casserole, covered with classic American cheese, and finished with a thick and soft Bisquick topping.
So, yup, it IS a cheeseburger in the form of a pie! Who could resist?
Kids and adults equally love this Bisquick Impossible Cheeseburger Pie for a fun, amazingly flavorful dinner. And leftovers taste great too, so definitely put this winner of a recipe on your meal plan ASAP!
Ingredients You Need
There are less than a dozen ingredients to make this impossible cheeseburger pie recipe. Almost all are simple pantry staples you probably have in your kitchen right now!
To make our hamburger pie recipe with cheese possible you need:
- Ground beef – or turkey
- Onion – chopped
- Garlic – minced
- Dill pickle relish – not sweet relish
- Yellow mustard – or Dijon for a “fancy” cheeseburger pie
- American cheese – those classic slices
- Milk – for the Bisquick topping
- Bisquick baking mix – in that yellow box you know and love
- Eggs – gives the pie a perfect rise
The reason this is called an “impossible pie” is that the batter, made with Bisquick, becomes both the bottom crust and the base of the fluffy cheesy topping.
How to Make Hamburger Pie with Cheese and Bisquick
Start to finish this family-friendly dish is ready in under an hour.
To make the best Bisquick impossible cheeseburger pie, first, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set out a 9-inch deep dish pie pan.
Set a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef, chopped onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Brown the ground beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon.
Once the beef is fully cooked, drain off most of the fat. Then mix in the pickle relish and mustard.
Scoop the cooked beef filling into the pie pan so that it’s in an even layer.
Fold the American cheese slices into triangle halves. Arrange the slices over the top of the ground beef. Then sprinkle the top with shredded cheddar.
That’s right: cheese on cheese.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, Bisquick, and eggs. Pour evenly over the top of the cheese.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top of the cheeseburger pie is golden and crusty.
Get the Complete (Printable) Bisquick Impossible Hamburger Pie Recipe with Cheese and Bisquick Below. Enjoy!
Cut and serve while warm. Add a few chopped green scallions to the top, if you like.
How to Make Ahead and Freeze Cheeseburger Pie
This is one of those fantastic recipes that should be on your must-make-ahead list.
Simply prepare as directed and freeze before baking. Cover with foil and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Be sure to keep flat in the freezer so that the Bisquick topping stays even.
Then cover with fresh foil and bake from frozen for 50-60 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Swap traditional Bisquick baking mix with their gluten-free version, and you are good to go!
Feel free to sub ground beef with ground turkey or ground chicken thighs. Make this a veg-friendly recipe by making an impossible cheeseburger pie with Impossible ground “beef” or your favorite plant-based alternative.
You can let this dish cool, cover it with plastic cling wrap, or aluminum foil, and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Looking for More Fabulous Family-Friendly Recipes?
- Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe
- The Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- One-Pot Sloppy Joe Noodle Skillet
- Cottage Pie Recipe (Best Shepherds Pie)
- Cool Ranch Taco Lasagna
Impossible Cheeseburger Pie Recipe (with Bisquick!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set out a 9-inch dep dish pie pan. Spray the pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef, chopped onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Brown the ground beef, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon.
- Once the beef is fully cooked, drain off most of the fat. Then mix in the pickle relish and mustard. Scoop the beef filling into the pie pan.
- Fold the American cheese slices into triangle halves. Arrange the slices over the top of the ground beef. Then sprinkle the top with shredded cheddar.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, Bisquick, and eggs. Pour evenly over the top of the cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden and crusty. Cut and serve while warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!