Retro Taco Pizza (Layered Taco Dip)
Layered Taco Pizza Dip – This easy retro dip recipe looks like a pizza but is made with all of your favorite taco goodies, including diced tomatoes, sliced olives, and LOTS of cheese. It’s perfect to customize and serve as a fun shareable appetizer or party snack!
Some dishes are simply made for sharing. You know what I’m talking about… The perfect party snacks are fun conversation starters on a plate. Every great get together has to have one, in my humble opinion, and we’ve got lots here at A Spicy Perspective.
Have you tried these Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs, Jalapeno Popper Dip, or our Low Carb Burger Bites recipe yet? You’ve definitely got to put those and this Retro Taco Pizza Dip recipe on your must-make party snacks list!
Now I am sure you’re wondering, like I was, what exactly is Taco Pizza Dip?
This is a no-cook layered dip recipe that Lt. Dan’s mom and grandma have made for years. He thinks of it as a “lake snack” because it’s the dip they regularly made at the family lake house to enjoy with cocktails out on the deck. It features thin layers of your favorite taco toppings – like chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese – served in a deep dish with plenty of dippers to go around.
Retro Taco Pizza AKA Layered Taco Dip
By now you’ve probably realized that the term “pizza” is a descriptor for the look of the dish, not for the actual ingredients. There is no crust or pizza sauce – in fact, the recipe doesn’t require any cooking at all. However, the family always made this recipe in thin layers on a round pizza pan, so it looks like a pizza, even though it’s a wonderfully simple taco dip!
Our recipe for Taco Pizza Dip is low carb, vegetarian, and totally gluten-free. Just pair with your favorite sides for scooping and you’ve got a ridiculously easy, fabulous retro snack that’s sure to please a crowd!
You can load it up with more add-ons or skip any suggestion ingredients you’re not a fan of. Best of all, this effortless layered dip can be made ahead in only a matter of minutes. You are going to love this foolproof snack recipe for potlucks, picnics, barbecues, and all of your laid-back gatherings.
Ingredients You Need
There are only 6 ingredients in this easy no-bake dip recipe. Feel free to substitute or add ingredients as you prefer to make your perfect version. Here’s what we like to include in our layered dip:
- Cream cheese – for a creamy, tangy base
- Mild taco sauce – or spicy, if you like
- Shredded cheese – we use a 4 cheese Mexican blend
- Diced tomato – fresh diced tomatoes taste best for a no-cook dip
- Chopped scallions – for a bit of bright, fresh flavor
- Sliced black olives – either ready sliced in a can or you can slice your own
Plus you’ll need dippers, like tortilla chips or fresh veggies.
How to Make Layered Taco Pizza Dip
I almost hesitate to call this a recipe, it’s so easy to prepare. There’s no cooking of any kind to make this cool and creamy, zesty and bold Taco Dip for nearly any occasion!
Follow these 5 simple steps for making the best layered dip with your favorite taco toppings:
1. To start, set out a large (12-14 inch) round dish or pizza pan. You can, of course, layer the dip into a large square or rectangle dish… But that wouldn’t be quite as much fun.
2. Next, use a spatula to spread the softened cream cheese in an even layer over the bottom surface of the pan.
3. Pour the taco sauce over the cream cheese and spread into a thin layer.
4. Then sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the taco sauce.
Get the Complete (Printable) Retro Layered Taco Pizza Dip Recipe Below. Enjoy!
5. Chop the tomato, slice the scallions, and drain the olives. Sprinkle all three toppings over the surface of the “pizza.”
You can either serve immediately, or make ahead and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to enjoy. Personally I think it’s best after it has sat in the fridge for a bit to let the layers settle together and get deliciously chilled.
What to Serve with Layered Taco Dip
Enjoy this thick, creamy and cheese taco-tastic dip with crunchy tortilla chips – and it’s still a gluten-free snack!
For an even healthier appetizer that’s also GF-friendly, serve Taco Pizza Dip with fresh cut veggies like carrots or hearty slices of bell peppers.
What Other Toppings Can I Add to Layered Taco Dip?
Build up the layers of this dip with…
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Cooked taco meat (cooled)
- Diced avocado
- Homemade guacamole
- Pico de gallo
- Refried beans, or any other of your favorite taco toppings.
I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!
How Long Will Taco Pizza Dip Keep?
Leftover Taco Dip will keep well for up to a week in the refrigerator. Cover the dish securely with plastic cling wrap, or use a spatula to transfer to another container with a lid. Be careful to keep the layers intact as much as you can!
Looking for More Fun Party Snacks?
- The Best Homemade Bean Dip
- Low Carb Burger Bites
- Stovetop Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Easy Retro Sausage Balls
- 3-Ingredient Mini Stuffed Peppers
Retro Taco Pizza (Layered Taco Dip)
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounce mild taco sauce or Cholula hot sauce
- 8 ounce shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ½ cup diced tomato roma or plum tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup sliced black olives drained
- Dippers: tortilla chips or fresh cut vegetables
- Set out a 12-14 inch round dish or pizza pan. Spread the softened cream cheese, in an even layer, over the surface of the pan.
- Pour the taco sauce over the cream cheese and spread into a thin layer. Then sprinkle the shredded cheese over the taco sauce.
- Chop the tomato and scallions. Drain the olives. Sprinkle all three toppings over the surface of the “pizza”. Serve with tortilla chips or cut vegetables.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
This is really ahh-mazing!! A new favorite at my house!
best kind of retro – food retro – and when I just want a fun calorie splurge, thank you!
The whole family LOVED this!! It was so easy and just loaded with flavor. We are adding to our Super Bowl menu!
My friends and I all loved this taco dip! It was such a great flavor combination and it went fast!