Smoked Queso Dip
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
The Best Smoked Queso Dip – Use your smoker to make the most outrageously cheesy, spicy, and delicious Mexican chorizo queso dip at home. This easy one-pan recipe is perfect for game days and parties!
Smokey Queso Dip with Chorizo
Game days and casual get-togethers are synonymous with food parties… Everyone comes together and gathers around a buffet of tasty finger food munchies to cheer and chat. And nothing brings guests to the table quite like a warm bowl of gooey, rich, and cheesy queso dip.
But let’s be clear: There’s queso (yum) and then there is QUESO (OMG).
If you’ve got a smoker, and a party on the horizon, this is the cheese dip for you! Our recipe features a delightful combo of Velveeta and pepper jack cheeses, Rotel, onions and jalapenos, and Mexican chorizo. Melted all together these staple ingredients become a roller coaster of bold, spicy, savory, and unbelievably delicious flavors.
Simply load everything in a baking dish, and let the smoker work its magic! Before you know it you have a hot pan of Smokey Queso Dip just begging to be scooped up with your favorite dippers.
Ingredients You Need
- Velveeta cheese – essential for that perfectly melty queso (You can choose the white Velveeta if you prefer!)
- Pepper jack cheese – or Colby jack for more mild flavor
- Rotel tomatoes and chiles – your choice of mild or spicy
- Mexican chorizo – uncooked, casings removed
- Onion – peeled and diced
- Jalapeños – sliced, with seeds removed for less spiciness
Plus your favorite snacks to dip!
How to Make Queso Dip on the Smoker
First, preheat the smoker to 250°F. Set out a 9 x 13-inch metal pan. Alternatively, you can use a disposable foil pan for easier cleanup.
Chop the Velveeta and pepper jack cheese into 1-inch chunks. Dice the onion and slice the jalapeños. Then place all the ingredients in the pan.
Pro Tip: I lined them up pretty for the photo, but you can just dump them in for faster prep!
Set the pan in the smoker and close the lid. Smoke the queso, undisturbed, for 60 minutes. Stir to mix all the ingredients evenly.
Get the Complete (Printable) Smoked Queso Dip Recipe + Video Below. Enjoy!
Smoke the queso for another 10 to 15 minutes. This helps to really lock in that deep, smokey flavor.
Serve the spicy cheese dip warm as an appetizer or side dish with your favorite dippers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Classic snacks to serve with queso are tortilla chips, potato chips, crackers, or sliced fresh veggies like bell peppers and carrots.
Spoon warm queso on nachos and hot dogs for a delicious kick of deluxe flavor. Or go BIG and make chili cheese dogs or queso burgers!
Simply skip the chorizo to make vegetarian queso.
You can remove the seeds from the jalapeños to dial back the spice a bit, or omit them entirely to really reduce the heat. Use mild Mexican chorizo or sub with a spice-free fresh sausage. Also, sub pepper jack cheese with mild Colby jack cheese.
Homemade smoked cheese dip will keep well for up to 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Let the leftovers cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. Reheat in short bursts in the microwave or low and slow on the stovetop, stirring frequently.
Looking For More Delicious Dips? Be Sure To Also Try These Easy Recipes:
- 3-Ingredient Magic Taco Dip
- Stovetop Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Roasted Poblano Avocado Dip
- Retro Taco Pizza (Layered Taco Dip)
- 3 Ingredient Beer Cheese Dip
- Best Classic Queso
- Amazing Queso Blanco
Smoked Queso Dip Recipe
- 32 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 16 ounces pepper jack cheese
- 20 ounces Rotel tomatoes and chiles
- 6 ounces Mexican chorizo casings removed
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2-4 jalapenos sliced
- Preheat the smoker to 250°F. Set out a 9 x 13 inch metal pan. (You can also use a disposable foil pan.)
- Chop the Velveeta and pepper jack cheese into 1-inch chunks. Dice the onion and slice the jalapeños.
- Place all the ingredients in the pan. (I lined them up pretty for the photo, but you can just dump them in!)
- Set the pan in the smoker and close the lid. Smoke the queso for 60 minutes. Stir to mix all the ingredients evenly, then smoke the queso another 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot with tortilla chips or a veggie dippers.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
What would you add to thin out queso if it is too thick?
You can add a splash of milk if needed to thin out the queso. :)
Truly the best queso dip recipe ever!! The flavor is outstanding and the whole fam loved it!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
This Queso is so smoky and delicious, I am going to make this for my friends the next time we get together!
Can you make this without a smoker? Oven or stove top?
You can certainly follow the same instructions, including time and temperature, in the oven. Consider adding a touch of liquid smoke to replicate the smoky flavor.