Best Clam Dip Ever
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Best Classic Clam Dip Recipe – This cold and creamy dip is always the hit of a party! It’s loaded with tender chopped clams, tangy cream cheese, and sour cream, plus a dash of hot sauce for a delicious kick of heat.
Why We Love This Clam Recipe
There’s no denying that every gathering needs a good dip (or two) to really bring the party vibe. What better way for guests to mingle than have them share a delicious spread or dip together? Everyone’s sure to have a serious bonding experience over how unbelievably scrumptious this Clam Dip is!
We’ve got recipes for smoked salmon dip, trout dip, and smoked whitefish dip… For crab Rangoon dip, hot shrimp dip, crab salad, shrimp salad, and lobster salad… But if you’re looking for a truly unique seafood snack you’ve got to try our clam dip recipe.
This fabulous dip is cold and rich, and is quick and easy to make in only 10 minutes. We use canned chopped clams for a delicious briny taste plus a tender and slightly chewy texture. Plus, the cans are super convenient. Drained clams are combined with sour cream, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and a generous dash of your favorite hot sauce. Together these simple ingredients have just the right balance of bold umami, tangy, and savory flavors in every creamy scoop.
Ingredients You Need
- Canned minced clams – drained well
- Cream cheese – softened room temperature cream cheese
- Sour cream – or Greek yogurt
- Garlic – minced, or use garlic paste
- Lemon juice – fresh squeezed is best, but bottled works in a pinch
- Worcestershire sauce – check your labels if you want a gluten-free version
- Hot sauce – we use Cholula, or Tabasco sauce
- Fresh dill – chopped
- Salt and pepper – to taste
How to Make the Best Clam Dip
Open the cans of minced clam. Use the detached lid to press down on the clam meat and pour out the excess liquid. Drain the clams very well before adding them to the dip. (Otherwise, you’ll wind up with a soggy watery dip.)
Set out a medium-sized mixing bowl. Place the cream cheese in the bowl and smash vigorously with a fork to make sure it is extremely soft with no clumps.
Then add in the sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Mix until smooth.
Finally, add in the drained clams and fresh dill.
Get the Complete (Printable) Clam Dip Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Mix the clam dip well. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Add additional hot sauce if desired!
Store in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve the clam dip right away, or chill in the fridge for several hours before enjoying.
We love to scoop the creamy dip with crunchy kettle chips and saltine crackers. Or pair it with your favorite cracker, toasted slices of baguette, or tortilla chips, for a hearty snack or appetizer!
It’s also great to enjoy with low-carb veggies for dipping. Try hearty fresh-cut vegetables like carrots, celery, sliced bell peppers and/or cucumbers. The combination of cold dip and chilled veggies is so refreshing!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make this clam dip recipe up to three days in advance. Store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
Leftovers will keep well for up to 3-4 days in a sealed container.
You do not use the juice in this recipe, and the clams need to be well drained. However, you can reserve the juice and keep it in the fridge for later use in other dishes, like our lobster fra diavolo recipe.
No, it is not a good idea to try freezing. Dips with a sour cream base don’t hold up well to being frozen and then thawed. So enjoy within a few days of preparing… Although, we doubt this dip will last that long!
No further ingredients are needed for a fabulous flavor. However, feel free to add in garlic powder, onion powder, fresh parsley, or even cayenne pepper.
Looking for More Classic Party Snack Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Hot Onion Dip with Fried Onions
- Retro Taco Pizza (Layered Taco Dip)
- Irresistible Dill Dip
- Homemade Cheese Spread
- Crockpot Spinach Artichoke Dip
Best Clam Dip Ever Recipe + VIDEO
- Open the cans of minced clam. Use the detached lid to press down on the clam meat and pour out the excess liquid. Drain the clams very well before adding them to the dip.
- Set out a medium-sized mixing bowl. Place the cream cheese in the bowl and smash vigorously with a fork to make sure it is extremely soft with no clumps.
- Then add in the sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Mix until smooth.
- Finally mix in the drained clams and fresh dill. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Add additional hot sauce if desired!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!