Shrimp Salad Rolls
When you want to bring a splash of summer to the table, any time of year, you absolutely need this shrimp roll recipe. It makes you feel like you live on the beach in New England, no matter where you actually are!
We’ve got a fabulous lobster salad recipe for lobster rolls, and a fantastic crab salad recipe that can be used on sandwiches as well. However, anytime I share these recipes people always ask if they can make them with shrimp.
Um, YES! Shrimp Salad is delicious, versatile, and ridiculously easy to make at home. It happens to be a good bit less expensive to make, but still tastes amazingly fresh and fun.
The Best Shrimp Salad Recipe
Here we share our classic shrimp salad recipe that’s perfect for shrimp rolls. You can also pile it high on a green salad for a fresh and low carb lunch or dinner.
Tender shrimp are quickly roasted, tossed with a delicious creamy and tangy dressing, and refrigerated until ready to serve. Every bite is brightened with lemon and dill, and the flavors keep getting better as all of the ingredients chill together.
The salad is prepared in only 20 minutes and keeps well for up to 3-4 days. It’s wonderful to make ahead the day before picnics and parties. Or simply to have on-hand anytime you are craving a taste of the east coast!
Ingredients You Need
For the shrimp salad:
- Olive oil – or other preferred neutral flavored high temp oil
- Raw shrimp – peeled and deveined
- Mayonnaise – can use low fat, if you like
- Green onions – chopped
- Lemon – zested
- Fresh dill – chopped
- Seasonings – garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
Then you also need your choice of hot dog buns, or your preferred rolls, or greens for salad.
How to Make Shrimp Salad
The first step is to quickly oven roast the shrimp. If using frozen shrimp let them thaw completely in the fridge overnight. Then peel and devein the shrimp, and pat dry with a paper towel. (I can usually find large raw cleaned shrimp at my local grocery store, so I don’t have to clean them myself.)
Preheat the oven to 400°F and set out a large rimmed baking sheet. Place the cleaned shrimp on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, then sprinkle generously with salt, ground black pepper, and a few dashes of cayenne pepper. Toss well and spread out in a single layer.
Roast in the oven for 6-8 minutes, until the shrimp are firm but are still in the shape of C’s not tight O’s.
Pro Tip: O stands for Overcooked!
Once the shrimp have roasted, move half of them to a cutting board and roughly chop.
Place the whole shrimp and shrimp pieces in a large mixing bowl. Add in the mayonnaise, chopped green onions, lemon zest, chopped dill, and garlic powder.
Pro Tip: Having whole shrimp and chopped shrimp together creates the best texture and helps the shrimp salad stick together when you scoop it into rolls.
Get the Complete (Printable) Shrimp Salad Recipe for Shrimp Rolls Below + Video. Enjoy!
Mix well. Taste, then season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Chill until ready to serve.
For classic shrimp rolls, load a generous portion of the chilled salad into lightly toasted and buttered hot dog buns.
For the most authentic Shrimp Rolls, buy the New England style buns, with flat sides.
Enjoy as-is, or top with your favorite seafood salad fixings. My boys like to put hot sauce and pickle relish on their shrimp salad sandwiches.
Or… Serve this as a low-carb and gluten-free salad with lots of satisfying textures and vibrant flavors. Shrimp salad is delicious on top of fresh greens like butter lettuce, baby spinach, chopped romaine, or your preferred blend.
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe is enough for 8 portions, and each serving is about 1/2 cup.
Store in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. It’s best if you pack it tightly in a smaller container.
Looking For More Scrumptious Seafood Dishes? Be Sure To Also Try These Recipes:
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp Pasta
- Lobster Tostadas
- Sheet Pan Low Country Boil Recipe
- Authentic New Orleans Seafood Gumbo
- Perfect Maryland Crab Cakes
Shrimp Roll (Shrimp Salad Recipe for Sandwiches)
For the Shrimp Salad Recipe –
For Shrimp Rolls –
- 8 hot dog buns New England style
- Hot sauce and pickle relish optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and set out a large rimmed baking sheet. Place the cleaned shrimp on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, then sprinkle generously with salt, ground black pepper, and a few dashes of cayenne pepper. Toss well and spread out in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 6-8 minutes, until the shrimp are firm but are still in the shape of C’s not O’s. (O for overcooked!)
- Once the shrimp have roasted, move half of them to a cutting board and roughly chop.
- Place the whole shrimp and shrimp pieces in a large mixing bowl. Add in the mayonnaise, chopped green onions, lemon zest, chopped dill, and garlic powder.
- Mix well. Taste, then season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Chill until ready to serve.
- Shrimp salad is best when served cold on a pile of greens or on classic shrimp rolls!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!