The Best Pina Colada Mix
The Best Pina Colada Mix – This fruity homemade Pina Colada mix recipe is perfect for serving as a refreshing blended frozen drink or on the rocks. Enjoy the best classic Pineapple Coladas with rum or as Virgin Pina Coladas!
The Summer Beverage of Choice…
Nothing says summer quite like sitting poolside with a frosty blended drink in your hand.
Even if I’ve just got my feet splashing in a kiddie pool in the backyard, give me a refreshing frozen beverage and suddenly I feel like I’ve been transported to my favorite resort, complete with palm trees and ocean breezes. And if it’s a fruity and fresh adult drink with a splash (or two) of rum? Now we are talking full-on summer vacation mode happiness anywhere you are!
The Best Pina Colada Recipe
There are so many terrifically delicious alcoholic (or non-alcoholic) summer drinks you can make this season. Some of the most popular we’ve shared over the years include this Frozen Coconut Mojito and our Cucumber Ginger Mint Agua Fresca. Check out the Beverages section of the site for even more unique drink recipes!
Now added to our lineup of creative smoothies, slushies, and party punches, today we are sharing the most tried and true Pina Colada Mix Recipe. It has the best classic pineapple and coconut flavor, with that perfectly silky frozen texture that you know and love.
This simple recipe was designed for Frozen Pina Coladas with rum, but can be served on the rocks and/or as Virgin Pina Coladas.
Pina Colada Ingredients
Homemade Pina Coladas only require a few simple ingredients and are made in just minutes!
Here’s everything you need to make the best homemade Pina Colada Mix:
- Cream of coconut – either store-bought like Coco Lopez or homemade (not coconut cream)
- Pineapple juice – brings in the flavor of summer
- White rum – for sweetness and punch
- Dark rum – for depth of flavor
- Lime juice – fresh is best
- Frozen pineapple chunks – if you are making blended Pina Coladas
The combination of white rum and dark rum makes the drinks nice and strong without having too harsh of an alcohol taste. For Virgin Pina Coladas simply skip adding these two ingredients.
The most traditional garnishes for Pina Coladas are maraschino cherries and fresh pineapple slices. However, you can also use a lime wedge or a spring of mint. Or even whipped cream if you feel extra festive!
How to Make Pina Coladas (with our Amazing Pina Colada Mix Recipe!)
There are three easy ways to enjoy this classic Pina Colada mix as perfectly refreshing summer drinks at home:
- For The Best Frozen Piña Colada: Place all the ingredients in the blender and puree until smooth and frothy. Pour into hurricane glasses and serve immediately.
- For A Classic Piña Colada On the Rocks: Set out a 2-cup measuring pitcher. Combine the cream of coconut, pineapple juice, both rums, and lime juice in the pitcher. Stir well. Fill two tall glasses with ice and pour in the Pina Coladas.
- To Make the Best Virgin Piña Colada: Place the cream of coconut, 7 ounces pineapple juice, lime juice, pineapple chunks, and ice in the blender. (Omit the rums.) Puree until smooth and frothy. Pour into hurricane glasses and serve immediately.
Garnish with your choice of goodies, like cherries or pineapple slices. Serving homemade Pina Coladas with fancy straws and/or paper cocktail umbrellas is always fun, too!
Want your Pina Coladas a bit more potent? Serve them with a floater (an extra shot of dark rum) on the side to be mixed in as needed.
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Homemade Best Piña Colada Mix Recipe Below. Enjoy and Drink Responsibly!
Best Pina Colada Garnishes
Here is a mixture of some of the most traditional garnishes and others that would be great additions to your cocktail (or mocktail) that most bartenders or mixologists would add to this tropical vacation drink:
- maraschino cherries
- fresh pineapple wedges
- lime wedge
- spring of mint
- a fun straw or a paper umbrella can also be fun!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Piña Colada Mixes Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can! Blend all of the ingredients together except for the frozen pineapple chunks and ice, and keep in an airtight container in the fridge for several days until you are ready to enjoy.
Then to make blended frozen Pina Coladas, combine the refrigerated mix with frozen pineapple and ice in the blender. For Pina Coladas on the rocks, simply pour the pre-made mix over ice and serve.
What Can I Use Instead of Rum in This Classic Drink?
No rum? No problem!
Vodka is a common substitute for rum in Pina Coladas. However, since vodka definitely has a distinct taste and lacks the sweetness of rum, it’s recommended that you add a splash of simple syrup or extra pineapple juice to the classic homemade Pina Colada Mix Recipe.
Skip the alcohol altogether for a Virgin Pina Colada. You can add a few shots of coconut milk to make up for the alcohol and create an even creamier texture.
Want your Pina Coladas a bit more potent?
Serve them with a floater (extra shot of dark rum or light rum) on the side to be mixed in as needed from your favorite liquor store.
Looking for More Refreshing Summer Drink Recipes?
- Frozen Strawberry Margarita
- How to Make Agua Fresca
- Best Orange Julius Recipe
- Frozen Lemonade with Pineapple
- Smoothie King Caribbean Way
- Sloe Gin Fizz Cocktail
- Frozen Mangonada
Check the printable recipe card below for the nutrition information including calories, carbohydrates, cholesterol, sugar, and vitamin c percentages.
The Best Pina Colada Mix Recipe
- For The Best Frozen Pina Coladas: Place all the ingredients in the blender and puree until smooth and frothy. Pour into hurricane glasses and serve immediately.
- For The Best Virgin Pina Coladas: Place the cream of coconut, 7 ounces pineapple juice, lime juice, pineapple chunks, and ice in the blender. (Omit the rums.) Puree until smooth and frothy. Pour into hurricane glasses and serve immediately.
- For Pina Colada On the Rocks: Set out a 2 cup measuring pitcher. Combine the cream of coconut, pineapple juice, both rums, and lime juice in the pitcher. Stir well. Fill two tall glasses with ice and pour in the Pina Coladas.