How To Make Agua Fresca
How to Make Authentic Agua Fresca – Strawberries and pineapple are blended together for a refreshing summer drink. Our simple, sweet, fresh and fruity agua fresca recipe is a perfect 5 Minute Fix for Cinco de Mayo!
Flavor of Mexico
Today’s recipe was an inspired Cinco de Mayo, 5-Minute Fix recipe is one of my favorite warm-weather beverages.
Authentic Agua Fresca – translated simply as fresh water – is generally made with pureed fruit, sugar, and water. Although some varieties can include seeds or grains.
Our simple recipe blends strawberries and pineapple with cold water and sugar. This easy summer drink is wonderfully refreshing and perfectly sweet!
Authentic Agua Fresca
I can tell you with great certainty that this is in fact an authentic agua fresca recipe, because my Mexican friend Adriana was standing over me, dictating every move I made while I was mixing this particular batch.
She is, thankfully, a stickler for following long-rooted traditions.
While there are no real “rules” for making classic fresh water, the basic requirements are pretty obvious. It must contain A) water and B) something fresh like fruit or veggies.
I like the perfectly sweet strawberry-pineapple combination in this agua fresca recipe the best, but you can make IT with nearly any produce including: cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumber, mangos, guava, melons, berries or even just freshly squeeze lime juice.
What Ingredients You Need
You only need a handful of 4 ingredients to make our simple and refreshing agua fresca recipe:
- Cold water
- Sugar – or your favorite sweetener
That’s it! You can use frozen or fresh fruit, but I do recommend that your strawberries and pineapple be at least chilled before blending.
This basic recipe makes a perfect nonalcoholic mocktail.
However, you can add 1 ounce of vodka, tequila, or rum per serving to make an alcoholic summer drink version.
How to Make the Homemade Agua Fresca
You’ll love how easy it is to whip up this fresh and fruity 5 Minute Fix summer drink!
- Place the cold cut-up fruit, cold water, and sugar in a blender. Puree until smooth and frothy.
- Either serve it frothy straight out of the blender, or strain out the pulp and foam, then pour over ice.
You can make this fruit drink recipe a day or so ahead of when you plan to enjoy, and store it in a pitcher in the fridge. Just stir and strain with a sieve, or pour it frothy as-is, over ice to serve.
Pro Tip: Most Agua Frescas you order at a restaurant have been strained, so if you like your beverages smooth, don’t skip this step.
Get the Complete (Printable) Authentic Agua Fresca Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Kick up your agua fresca a bit by adding a shot of your favorite vodka, tequila, or rum for an alcoholic summer cocktail.
You can also add a splash of sparkling soda water when serving, for a bit of effervescence! (Also to make this a non-alcoholic drink).
I love to enjoy these fruity drinks in a tall glass with lots of ice and a wedge of fruit as garnishment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Make this a Frozen Agua Fresca Recipe?
Simply replace the water in the recipe with 8 cups of ice cubes to create a slushy-style frozen agua fresca.
You can add splashes of water as you blend to make it looser if needed.
What Do You Recommend Serving with Agua Frescas?
This terrifically refreshing summer drink pairs perfectly with a number of Mexican-inspired dishes.
Other Great Garnish Ideas
Some other great garnish ideas for this beverage are hibiscus flowers, some form of citrus wedge, berries (such as blackberries or blueberries), herbs, or cherries.
Looking for More Summer Drink Recipes?
- Sweet Tea Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
- Authentic Chai Tea Recipe
- Hibiscus Ginger Iced Tea and Martini Recipe
- Lemon Ginger Detox Tea Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cider Wassail Recipe
- How to Make Simple Syrup Recipe
- Homemade Lt. Dan’s Best Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
- 3-Ingredient Affogato Bourbon Shots Recipe
- Chocolate Brandy Latte Recipe
- Toffee Caramel Latte from Battery Park Book Exchange
How To Make Agua Fresca
- 2 cups fresh strawberries cold, hulled
- 2 cups fresh chopped pineapple cold
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 cups water cold
- Place the cold fruit, sugar and water in the blender. Puree until smooth and frothy.
- Serving options: Either pour into glasses and serve frothy, or pour through a sieve to remove the pulp, then serve over ice.