Spicy Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
Want to make the absolute BEST Bloody Mary Mix at home? Check out our homemade family blend… Spicy Bloody Mary Mix Recipe.
Spicy Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
Bloody Marys have become a Sunday brunch staple here in the U.S. It’s almost impossible to go out to brunch without finding a classic Bloody Mary on the menu.
Furthermore, Bloody Mary Bars, with garnishes galore, are hugely popular in trendy diners and locally-owned restaurants.
However, you don’t have to go out to enjoy a killer Bloody Mary Cocktail, with all the bells and whistles. You can make them yourself, at home!
Our Go-To Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
Lt. Dan, my husband, is the master mixologist in our house. He mixes cocktails just as well as any hipster bartender, anywhere in the country, in my humble opinion.
His Homemade Bloody Mary Mix Recipe is a classic blend of savory ingredients that creates a deep zesty base for Bloody Mary Cocktails.
The depth is created by “layers” of ingredients that combine sharp, perky, and spicy notes, with a bright citrus finish.
I could drink his Bloody Mary Cocktail all day. Correction. I have drank his Bloody Marys all day long.
Make-Ahead Bloody Mary Mix
One thing I love about Bloody Mary Mix is that the flavor seems to improve with time. Of course, you can drink it immediately. But as the spices have time to mix and mingle, the flavor becomes more robust.
This simple recipe is a great make-ahead to keep in a pitcher in the fridge for when you need to stop for an impromptu cocktail hour with friends.
To make Virgin Bloody Mary Mix, simply leave out the vodka.
Mixed without vodka, you can make this recipe up to 3 weeks in advance. However, made with vodka, you can make it up to 5 weeks in advance.
Be sure to place it in a container, with a lid, and place it in the back of the refrigerator.
What Is Bloody Mary Mix Made Of?
To make the Best Bloody Mary Mix, you will need these ingredients…
- Clamato Juice – You can use tomato juice as well, but clamato juice offers a deeper richer flavor.
- Vodka – Choose a good mid-grade brand with a light clean flavor.
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Lime Juice
- Prepared Horseradish
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot Sauce – Choose your favorite brands like Tabasco or Cholula.
- Garlic Powder
- Celery Salt
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Garnish – garnishes that taste great with this cocktail
How To Make Bloody Mary Mix
Homemade bloody Mary mix can be made in just a few short steps!
- Pour: Set out a large pitcher. Pour in the clamato juice, 6 ounces of vodka, lemon juice, and lime juice. Stir well.
- Measure: Then measure and add all remaining ingredients. Stir well again.
- Chill: Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then fill glasses with ice and pour in the Bloody Mary Mix. This recipe makes 4 large cocktails or 6 smaller cocktails.
- Garnish: Garnish the glasses with celery stalks, pickles, olives, pickles or raw vegetables, citrus wedges, grilled shrimp, bacon, grilled or raw chiles, or really anything you like!
Get the Full (Printable) Bloody Mary Mix Recipe Below!
Bloody Mary Garnishes
Bloody Marys Drinks can be served as-is, but are much more fun loaded up with classic garnishes like olives and shrimp.
Here’s a list of possible Bloody Mary Bar garnishes…
- Lemons or Limes
- Olives – Pitted and/or stuffed
- Pickles – Slices or Mini Pickles (Or a dill pickle spear)
- Cocktail Onions
- Pickled Vegetables – Like asparagus, pickled okra, green beans, or beets.
- Peppers – Jalapenos, Habaneros, Mini Bell Peppers, Pepperoncini… Roasted, Grilled, or Pickled
- Cooked Shrimp – Roasted or Grilled
- Crispy Bacon Strips
- Beef Jerky
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chunks of Cheese
- Celery Stalks
- Carrots Spears
- Cucumber Spears
- Baby Corn
- Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- Fresh Herb Sprigs
- Salt on the Rim of the Glass
It’s a good idea to place smaller garnishes on wooden skewers, so they are easy to access and snack on.
There are three main components that can be changed about this classic bloody Mary cocktail. How spicy you make it, whether you add alcohol, and what kinds of toppings you add! Here are a few variations.
- Spice: This all depends on how spicy you like your bloody Mary! The four spicy components here are horseradish, hot sauce, cayenne and black pepper. You definitely have to add a little bit of horse radish, hot sauce and black pepper. You can omit the cayenne if you are sensitive to spice, and also just add a little bit of each of the other components according to your taste!
- Mocktail: Feel free to make a mocktail bloody mary by simply omitting the alcohol.
- Toppings: Go crazy on the toppings! For simple toppings, go for a celery stick and olives. If you want to get crazy, definitely start with bacon! Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Bloody Mary Drink?
A Bloody Mary is a cocktail typically made with tomato juice, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, Tabasco, salt, celery salt, olive brine, and vodka. But there are many different variations of bloody Marys and you can make your bloody Mary base mix just how you like it! This specific Bloody Mary mix recipe is our personal favorite.
Can You Make Virgin Bloody Mary Mix?
Absolutely! In order to make a virgin version of this recipe, simply take out the vodka.
You can drink it as-is, or add a splash of club soda to each glass.
Can You Add Other Liquors?
Of course! When you add tequila to Bloody Marys, they are called Bloody Marias. However, you can add gin, mezcal, bourbon, cognac, or sherry to the mix.
What Pairs Well With This Cocktail?
This cocktail can be had with a brunch with protein or with small plate appetizers or charcuterie dishes.
More Amazing Cocktails You Will Love
- Chocolate Guinness Floats
- Classic Red Wine Sangria
- Champagne Holiday Punch
- The Perfect Margarita Recipe
- Frozen Beeritas
- Rosemary Old Fashioned
Spicy Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
- 4 cups clamato (or tomato juice)
- 6 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (your favorite brand)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Set out a large 6-8 cup pitcher. Pour in the clamato, vodka, lemon juice, and lime juice. Stir.
- Then measure and add all remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then fill glasses with ice and pour in the Bloody Mary Mix.
- Garnish with celery stalks, pickles, olives, pickles or raw vegetables, citrus wedges, grilled shrimp, bacon, grilled or raw chiles, or really anything you like!