Lt. Dan’s Best Bloody Mary Mix Recipe (Homemade!)
Want to make the absolute BEST Bloody Mary Mix at home? Check out our homemade family blend… Lt. Dan’s Best Bloody Mary Mix Recipe.
Bloody Marys have become a Sunday brunch staple here in the U.S. It’s almost impossible to go out to brunch without finding a classic Bloody Mary on the menu.
Furthermore, Bloody Mary Bars, with garnishes galore, are hugely popular in trendy diners and locally-owned restaurants.
However, you don’t have to go out to enjoy a killer Bloody Mary Cocktail, with all the bells and whistles. You can make them yourself, at home!
Our Go-To Bloody Mary Mix Recipe
Lt. Dan, my husband, is the master mixologist in our house. He mixes cocktails just as well as any hipster bartender, anywhere in the country, in my humble opinion.
His Homemade Bloody Mary Mix Recipe is a classic blend of savory ingredients that creates a deep zesty base for Bloody Mary Cocktails.
The depth is created by “layers” of ingredients that combine sharp, perky, and spicy notes, with a bright citrus finish.
I could drink his Bloody Mary Cocktail all day. Correction. I have drank his Bloody Marys all day long.
One thing I love about Bloody Mary Mix is that the flavor seems to improve with time. Of course, you can drink it immediately. But as the spices have time to mix and mingle, the flavor becomes more robust.
This simple recipe is a great make-ahead to keep in a pitcher in the fridge for when you need to stop for an impromptu cocktail hour with friends.
To make Virgin Bloody Mary Mix, simply leave out the vodka.
Mixed without vodka, you can make this recipe up to 3 weeks in advance. However, made with vodka, you can make it up to 5 weeks in advance.
Be sure to place it in a container, with a lid, and place it in the back of the refrigerator.
What Is Bloody Mary Mix Made Of?
In order to make the Best Bloody Mary Mix, you will need these ingredients…
- Clamato Juice – You can use tomato juice as well, but clamato juice offers a deeper richer flavor.
- Vodka – Choose a good mid-grade brand with a light clean flavor.
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Lime Juice
- Prepared Horseradish
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot Sauce – Choose your favorite brands like Tabasco or Cholula.
- Garlic Powder
- Celery Salt
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Garnish – garnishes that taste great with this cocktail
How To Make Bloody Mary Mix (From Scratch)
- Pour: Set out a large pitcher. Pour in the clamato juice, 6 ounces of vodka, lemon juice, and lime juice. Stir well.
- Measure: Then measure and add all remaining ingredients. Stir well again.
- Chill: Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then fill glasses with ice and pour in the Bloody Mary Mix. This recipe makes 4 large cocktails or 6 smaller cocktails.
- Garnish: Garnish the glasses with celery stalks, pickles, olives, pickles or raw vegetables, citrus wedges, grilled shrimp, bacon, grilled or raw chiles, or really anything you like!
Get the Full (Printable) Bloody Mary Mix Recipe Below!
Bloody Mary Garnishes
Bloody Marys can be served as-is, but are much more fun loaded up with classic garnishes like olives and shrimp.
Here’s a list of possible Bloody Mary Bar garnishes…
- Lemons or Limes
- Olives – Pitted and/or stuffed
- Pickles – Slices or Mini Pickles (Or a dill pickle spear)
- Cocktail Onions
- Pickled Vegetables – Like asparagus, pickled okra, green beans, or beets.
- Peppers – Jalapenos, Habaneros, Mini Bell Peppers, Pepperoncini… Roasted, Grilled, or Pickled
- Cooked Shrimp – Roasted or Grilled
- Crispy Bacon Strips
- Beef Jerky
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chunks of Cheese
- Celery Stalks
- Carrots Spears
- Cucumber Spears
- Baby Corn
- Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- Fresh Herb Sprigs
- Salt on the Rim of the Glass
It’s a good idea to place smaller garnishes on wooden skewers, so they are easy to access and snack on.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Make Virgin Bloody Mary Mix?
Absolutely! In order to make a virgin version of this recipe, simply take out the vodka.
You can drink it as-is, or add a splash of club soda to each glass.
Can You Add Other Liquors?
Of course! When you add tequila to Bloody Marys, they are called Bloody Marias. However, you can add gin, mezcal, bourbon, cognac, or sherry to the mix.
What Pairs Well With This Cocktail?
This cocktail can be had with a brunch with protein or with small plate appetizers or charcuterie dishes.
More Amazing Cocktails You Will Love
- Chocolate Guinness Floats
- Classic Red Wine Sangria
- Champagne Holiday Punch
- The Perfect Margarita Recipe
- Frozen Beeritas
- Rosemary Old Fashioned
Lt. Dan’s Best Bloody Mary Mix Recipe (Homemade!)
- 4 cups clamato (or tomato juice)
- 6 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (your favorite brand)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Set out a large 6-8 cup pitcher. Pour in the clamato, vodka, lemon juice, and lime juice. Stir.
- Then measure and add all remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Then fill glasses with ice and pour in the Bloody Mary Mix.
- Garnish with celery stalks, pickles, olives, pickles or raw vegetables, citrus wedges, grilled shrimp, bacon, grilled or raw chiles, or really anything you like!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!