Easiest Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo)
How to Make Brazilian Cheese Bread – An easy recipe for perfectly crisp on the outside, soft and cheesy on the inside Pao de Queijo. These tasty cheese puffs happen to be low carb, gluten-free, and keto-friendly!
Who loves low-carb snacks? We do!
Our family doesn’t adhere to a strict gluten-free, keto, or low-carb diet. As you might have noticed, we tend to make a lot of comforting and carb-a-licious dinner and dessert recipes. However, we do love to strike a balance between indulgent and healthy dishes, and therefore like to make good-and-good-for-you snacks to enjoy between those decadent meals.
But just because a recipe is healthy doesn’t mean it can’t be rich, cheesy, and oh-so-satisfying!
Pao de Queijo, or Brazilian Cheese Bread, is an addictive street food that is popular in Brazil. And it’s not hard to see why! These little cheese puffs have the consistency of a savory beignet, with a cheesy stretch in the middle.
They can be made simply with cheese, or loaded with savory fillings or fruity jam. Either way, these tasty cheese puffs are perfect to enjoy as a low-carb and GF-friendly morning or afternoon snack!
Perfect Pao de Queijo
Light, fluffy, crispy on the outside, and gooey on the inside Brazilian cheese puffs are fantastic to make in a large batch and keep on hand for those snack attacks.
They’re made with only 8 ingredients that are all low carb, keto-friendly, and gluten-free. So while Pao de Queijo tastes incredibly rich and “naughty,” they are actually quite simple and healthy!
This easy recipe for crunchy, cheesy, and tender Brazilian cheese bread only requires 30 minutes to make. We use a blender to quickly whip up the batter, then simply pour it into mini muffin tins and bake to perfection.
Double the recipe to make a bunch of these little beauties, and freeze half to serve at parties or as enjoy as a reheat-and-go breakfast or anytime snack.
In case you didn’t catch this at the beginning of this post, these Brazilian cheese bread puffs are gluten-free, keto-friendly, and fabulously low carb.
For this easy Pao de Queijo recipe you need:
- Tapioca flour – a GF flour that gives the bread a light, crisp texture
- Whole milk – for the best, richest flavor
- Eggs – creates the perfect puffiness
- Vegetable oil – or preferred neutral tasting oil
- Sharp cheddar cheese – grated
- Mozzarella cheese – grated
- Salt – just a pinch
- Garlic powder – to give the puffs a slightly savory flavor
How to Make the Easiest Brazilian Cheese Bread Recipe
Using a blender makes this a nearly foolproof recipe. It gets all of the ingredients thoroughly combined to create a smooth batter, which is essential for getting the right crisp and gooey-cheesy textures.
First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set out several mini muffin pans. Spray them generously with nonstick cooking spray, or brush generously with oil.
Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Cover and puree until smooth and frothy.
Use a spoon to portion the batter into the muffin pans, filling the wells ¾ full.
Pro Tip: This recipe makes 48 cheese puffs, so you can work in batches if you only have one or two mini muffin pans. Or use larger pans to double and triple the recipe for parties!
Bake undisturbed for 19-20 minutes until golden and puffed. Keep a close eye on them so the Pao de Queijo doesn’t get too browned or burned.
Get the Complete (Printable) Brazilian Cheese Bread Recipe Below. Enjoy!
If you need to repeat with the remaining batter, blend the batter for another 30 seconds to create additional froth before re-spraying and refilling the pans.
Serve warm, and allow the puffs to cool completely before storing for later.
- Make this Pao de Quejo recipe with different cheeses: pepper jack or monteray jack will give a nice bit of heat to the puffs!
- Stuff the Brazilian cheese bread with savory fillings, like cooked sausage or chorizo. Make the filling in advance and cool slightly. Once you’ve poured the batter into the muffin tins, then add a teaspoon of the savory filling to the center of each muffin cup.
- As-is this recipe makes approximately 48 cheese puffs. Double the ingredients to make 96 bites for a crowd or to freeze for later.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! These cheese puffs freeze very well. Let them cool completely before storing in an airtight freezer-safe zipper bag. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen cheese bread in the fridge overnight. To reheat, place the puffs on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.
While these yummy puffs are great to eat on their own, they also pair wonderfully with savory dips, hot sauce, and/or fruity jams.
These homemade cheese puffs will keep well for up to 4 days. Store them in an airtight container and keep them at room temperature, away from moisture.
Looking for More Delicious (And Healthy!) Snack Recipes?
Easiest Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo) Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set out several mini muffin pans. Spray them generously with nonstick cooking spray. (Or brush generously with oil.)
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients. Cover and puree until smooth and frothy.
- Use a spoon to portion the batter into the muffin pans, filling the wells ¾ full.
- Bake undisturbed for 19-20 minutes until golden and puffed.
- If you needed to repeat with the remaining batter, puree the batter another 30 seconds to create additional froth before re-spraying and refilling the pans. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!