Homemade Buffalo Wing Sauce
How to Make Buffalo Sauce – This homemade buffalo sauce recipe is easy to make with only 4 simple ingredients, like Frank’s RedHot and butter. It’s spicy and rich, and perfect to toss with chicken wings or use in other winning dishes!
Why We Love Homemade Buffalo Wing Sauce
You won’t believe how simple it is to make amazing buffalo wing sauce at home that’s perfect to toss with chicken wings, roasted cauliflower, or to drizzle over all sorts of buffalo-inspired dishes… Think buffalo chicken nachos, dip, sandwiches, salads, and SO MUCH more!
The super easy 4 ingredient recipe has just the perfect taste balance of heat, richness, and sweetness. It’s better than any store-bought sauce, guaranteed. Plus, it can be made in five minutes!
This foolproof buffalo sauce recipe makes approximately 1 ½ cups of sauce which is the right amount to coat 3 to 5 pounds of chicken wings. But you might want to double up so you have an extra batch on hand… You never know when a craving for bold and delicious wing sauce will hit!
4 Ingredients You Need
- Cayenne pepper sauce – like Frank’s RedHot
- Butter – unsalted butter perferrably
- Light brown sugar – or honey
- Garlic powder – the “secret” ingredient for a more complex and flavorful buffalo sauce recipe
How to Make Buffalo Sauce
Set a small sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the cayenne pepper sauce, butter, brown sugar, and garlic powder.
Stir until the butter has melted. Then bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately turn off the heat and
whisk until smooth.
Get the Complete (Printable) Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Use hot, or cool and bottle for later use.
How to Toss Wings in Sauce
You can use this fabulously fiery homemade buffalo sauce with smoked or grilled chicken wings, or our easy and extra-crispy oven baked buffalo wings!
Place 3 to 5 pounds of fresh and hot wings in a large bowl. Pour 1/2 to 1 1/2 cups of sauce on the wings, depending on how many wings and how saucy you like them. Shake the bowl or use a spatula to toss and evenly coat the chicken… Don’t be too rough! You want the chicken skin to stay as crisp as possible.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Wings
In my humble opinion, there’s no better way to serve a plate of party-ready wings than with a side of cold and creamy ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing. You might also try some zesty Caesar dressing or tangy garlic sauce to really kick things up.
And you can’t go wrong with stacks of crisp celery and carrot sticks on the side. Now you’ve got a complete balanced party and game day snack!
You can easily serve these as an appetizer or main dish and pair them with a fresh green salad, or more hearty comfort food sides… Make it a complete barbecue-style meal with homemade mac and cheese, collard greens, baked beans, and potato salad.
Other Ways to Use Buffalo Sauce
So yes, of course, buffalo sauce is perfect for chicken wings. But that’s not all! Use this homemade spicy and buttery sauce to make any number of other buffalo-style recipes. Here are a few of our top favorites:
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs – featuring super easy and so delicious homemade meatballs
- Loaded Cauliflower Buffalo Wings – great to make vegetarian
- Buffalo Chicken Salad – a delightfully unique dish for sandwiches or snacking
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip – always a hit on game day
- Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese – a fun spicy twist on a classic kid-friendly food
- Buffalo Ahi Tuna Tacos – this exciting dish will add some serious pep to your next taco night
- Crispy Baked Buffalo Chicken Breast – for a hearty dinner entree
- Buffalo Chicken Chili – enjoy all your favorite meaty flavors in one yummy bowl
And so many more!! You also can drizzle the sauce over nachos, add it to sandwiches and wraps, or use it as a spicy dip with baked or fried snacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
You want the wings to be nice and hot, but not greasy. This should not be a problem if you are air frying or baking the wings. However, deep-fried wings should be briefly drained on a paper towel before adding warm to a large bowl.
Use your choice of any classic red hot sauce with a spicy kick! For a similar flavor you want to choose a thin sauce that is made with cayenne peppers and vinegar.
Let the buffalo wing sauce cool completely. Transfer it to an airtight container with a lid and keep it in the fridge for up to a month.
Looking for More Scrumptious Sauce Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Magic Aioli Sauce
- Cheese Sauce for Broccoli
- Garlic Butter Sauce
- How to Make Big Mac Sauce
- Best Lobster Ravioli Sauce
Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipe + Video
- Set a small sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the cayenne pepper sauce, butter, brown sugar, and garlic powder.
- Stir until the butter has melted. Then bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately turn off the heat and stir until smooth.
- Use hot, or cool and bottle for later use.