We’re taking our fish tacos recipe to another level today with Buffalo BBQ Ahi Tacos! Each fish taco is layered with fresh seared tuna kissed with tangy-sweet sauce, celery slaw, and crumbled blue cheese.
1. Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner.
2. I’m craving fish.
3. I’ve never met a taco I didn’t like.
All these things together mean I’ve got one heck of a fish tacos recipe for you today.
A friend recently informed me that I hadn’t posted a fish taco recipe since the spring of 2010.
See? I need good people in my life to keep me in line.
So today I’m sharing one of my latest fish taco variations, a Buffalo BBQ Ahi Tuna Fish Tacos Recipe with crisp celery slaw and blue cheese.
This is so quick and simple, guys.
Simply marinate thinly sliced celery and green onions in apple cider vinegar and honey for a crunchy and tangy slaw that complements the “buffalo” element of the fish tacos recipe.
Stir together a little barbecue sauce and cayenne pepper sauce to coat the Ahi tuna.
I find the combination of sweet barbecue sauce and the hot pepper “buffalo” sauce brings out the best in the Ahi, without overpowering it with heat or sweetness.
Quickly sear the ahi tuna until just medium-rare (or rare) and toss in the buffalo bbq sauce to coat the ahi. Then serve each fish taco in a warm puffy wheat tortilla with the celery slaw and generous sprinkling of creamy blue cheese.
This is fusion food at its finest. Latin and American inspired fish tacos that cook up in minutes!
You’ve got to try these tacos.
Fish Tacos Recipe
Yield: 10-12 tacos
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:5 minutes
Buffalo BBQ Ahi Fish Tacos Recipe with Celery Slaw and Blue Cheese!
- 1 1/3 lbs. Ahi tuna, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup cayenne pepper sauce (like Franks)
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 Tb. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tb. honey
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 10-12 wheat tortillas (double the tortillas for corn)
- Salt and Pepper
- Start with the celery slaw: Slice the celery and green onions and place them in a medium bowl. Add the vinegar and honey, then stir in 1/3 teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste. Stir well and set aside.
- Mix the barbecue sauce and pepper sauce in a second bowl. Cut the Ahi tuna into small 1/2 inch cubes and sprinkle with salt. If you like your tortillas warm and puffy, flash fry them before cooking the Ahi.
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add half the Ahi and sear for 30-60 seconds per side, flipping once, for a rare to medium-rare interior. Once the Ahi is cooked to your liking, pour in half the buffalo barbecue sauce and toss. Scoop the ahi onto a plate, wipe out the skillet, and repeat with the remaining Ahi.
- To serve: Scoop celery slaw into warm tortillas, top the slaw with the buffalo barbecue ahi, then sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!