Buffalo Ahi Tuna Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Buffalo Ahi Tuna Tacos – Each fish taco is layered with fresh seared tuna kissed with tangy-sweet sauce, celery slaw, and crumbled blue cheese. Today we’re taking fish tacos to the next level!
Taco Night Shenanigans
My family and I love to eat tacos. They are such a great family dinner that is customizable for each person. Now, there are a few reasons that I will make this specific taco, and any of those could be:
- Taco Tuesday comes every week.
- I’m craving fish.
- We have friends coming over.
- My kids’ friends are eating dinner with us.
I have also never met a taco I didn’t like. And this taco is just one of those amazing recipes that are almost like a specialty dinner treat.
All these things together mean I’ve got one heck of a fish tacos recipe for you today.
What Happened To Fish Tacos?
A friend recently informed me that I did not have enough fish taco recipes on my website.
I’ve posted shrimp tacos, veggie tacos, and carnitas tacos, but he was right… I only have one classic fish tacos recipe here on ASP.
My bad. See? I need good people in my life to keep me in line. Also to keep my recipes in check and make sure I fill my website with recipes for everyone! So today I’m sharing one of my latest fish taco variations, a Buffalo BBQ Ahi Tuna Fish Tacos Recipe with crisp celery slaw and blue cheese.
This is so quick and simple, guys.
How To Make These Ahi Tuna Fish Tacos
1. Simply marinate thinly sliced celery and green onions in apple cider vinegar and honey, for a crunchy and tangy slaw that complements the “buffalo” element of the fish tacos recipe.
2. Stir a little barbecue sauce and cayenne pepper sauce together to coat the ahi tuna.
I find the combination of sweet barbecue sauce and the hot pepper “buffalo” sauce brings out the best in the Ahi, without overpowering it with heat or sweetness.
3. Quickly sear the ahi tuna until just medium-rare (or rare) and toss in the buffalo bbq sauce to coat the ahi.
4. Then serve each fish taco in a warm puffy wheat tortilla with the celery slaw and generous sprinkling of creamy blue cheese.
This is fusion food at its finest. Latin and American inspired fish tacos that cook up in minutes!
You’ve got to try these tacos.
Buffalo BBQ Taco Ingredients:
- Ahi Tuna
- Barbecue Sauce
- Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- Thinly Sliced Celery
- Green Onions
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Wheat Tortillas (If you are using corn, you will want 2 tortillas per taco to make sure that it holds up better.)
- Salt and Pepper
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Buffalo Ahi Tuna Tacos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of fish?
You most definitely can change the type of fish in this recipe! There are so many different varieties of fish that you can use, so feel free to experiment! Just be cautious about where you get your fish, so it is very fresh, and make sure to cook it thoroughly.
Can you eat Ahi Raw? (or Partially Cooked?)
Yes. Look for fresh sushi-grade ahi to be sure it is safe to eat raw or medium-rare, with just a light searing on the outside.
How do I know if the fish is fully cooked?
This recipe is meant to be partially cooked (seared) with sushi-grade tuna. Of course, you could cook the ahi a little longer to become fully cooked. However, with most fish varieties you will want to cook it through. If you have any specific questions, please refer to my How To Cook Fish Perfectly post!
Other Seafood Dishes
- Seafood Cioppino Recipe
- Spicy Mustard Seafood Sauce
- Garlic Lime Roasted Shrimp Salad Recipe
- Hawaiian Tako Poke Recipe
- Skillet Shrimp Fra Diavolo Pasta Recipe
- Cajun Hot Shrimp Dip Recipe (With Cream Cheese)
- Caribbean Shrimp Burgers Recipe
- Easy Jambalaya Recipe
- Seared Scallops and Wilted Greens Recipe
- Yucatán Garlic Butter Shrimp Recipe
Fish Tacos Recipe
- 1 1/3 pounds Ahi tuna cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup cayenne pepper sauce like Franks
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 10-12 wheat tortillas double the tortillas for corn
- Salt and pepper
- Start with the celery slaw: Slice the celery and green onions and place them in a medium bowl. Add the vinegar and honey, then stir in 1/3 teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste. Stir well and set aside.
- Mix the barbecue sauce and pepper sauce in a second bowl. Cut the Ahi tuna into small 1/2-inch cubes and sprinkle with salt. If you like your tortillas warm and puffy, flash fry them before cooking the Ahi.
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add half the Ahi and sear for 30-60 seconds per side, flipping once, for a rare to medium-rare interior. Once the Ahi is cooked to your liking, pour in half the buffalo barbecue sauce and toss. Scoop the ahi onto a plate, wipe out the skillet, and repeat with the remaining Ahi.
- To serve: Scoop celery slaw into warm tortillas, top the slaw with the buffalo barbecue ahi, then sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
These were perfect for taco tuesday! Saving to make again soon. Love fish tacos!!
Normally fish tacos lack taste and flavor- BUT NOT THESE! Amazing and will totally make again!
Amazing recipe! I really love its description! The only one thing is that I’ll be able to make it tomorrow, not earlier.
Pingback: 放開那份吞拿魚三文治！10種吞拿魚新煮法教你正確打開吞拿魚的方式！ - Cookeys 食譜字典｜PressLogic
Pingback: Links I’m Loving – Cinco de Mayo |
Pingback: 30 Mouthwatering Tacos To Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
Pingback: 10 Gourmet Taco Recipes
Pingback: Links I’m Loving – Cinco de Mayo | Girl on the Move
I saw this right before my big flight home and omg, I was thinking about it the entire way!! SO good, Sommer!
This is my kind of taco! Seafood and buffalo!! Mmm!
These look amazing Sommer!
Fish tacos are some of my favorites. These look wonderful!
Thank you Shaina!
These tacos look like the perfect healthy meal!
This will be great for Cinco de Mayo!
I love fish tacos, these look fab!
Goooooorgeous! Fish tacos are always welcome in my world!
Never met a taco I didn’t like <—Can I get that on a bumper sticker?
Great tacos for summertime!
Thank you Maria!
Ahi tuna tacos would be the best! And BBQ!!
I am obsessed with these. BBQ Tuna? Say what?! I love a good fish taco and this sounds like a freaking AMAZING one. Pinned!
Thank you Taylor!