Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Our quick and easy Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, using whole grain pasta, scores winning points on the home front!
Buffalo Chicken Everything
A few years ago on Super Bowl Sunday our house was filled with eager friends and enticing food. We had wings and sliders, a variety of finger foods, and cakes, but the dish that seemed to get the most attention was a dip.
Ahem… a dip that I did not make. The only item I did not make.
I don’t mind being shown up. After tasting our friend Eric’s Buffalo Chicken Dip, my mind started churning with inspiration. This dip would taste great with nearly anything, so why not use it as a springboard for other recipes?
Like creamy buffalo chicken dip and pasta, for instance!
Buffalo Mac and Cheese
This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is incredible. INCREDIBLE.
With tender chunks of chicken, bits of sweet bell pepper, fresh green onion, and a rich zippy cheese sauce, it is a true crowd-pleaser.
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is so easy to prepare, you’ll be more than happy to whip it up when your family begs for it over and over!
And trust me, they will.
With a brick of cream cheese, store-bought hot wing sauce, and good-quality blue cheese dressing, you can make a truly amazing cheese sauce to pour over your pasta.
You can also make a light version of Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese by adding low-fat cream cheese and reduced-calorie dressing. Bonus, Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is a great way to use up leftover chicken.
You are going to love this recipe!
Buffalo Mac and Cheese Ingredients
- Whole Grain Pasta (such as shells, penne or rotini)
- Cooked Chicken (that is cut into bite-sized pieces – you can even use leftover chicken)
- Small Bell Peppers (red and yellow are suggested)
- Green Onions
- Garlic Cloves
- Cream Cheese
- Refrigerated Blue Cheese Dressing
- “Buffalo Wing” Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- Shredded Cheese (could be cheddar, mozzarella or a blend of cheeses)
- Panko Bread Crumbs
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the pasta as it mentions on the box, then drain the water out and transfer to a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
- Add in the cooked chicken, bell peppers, most of the green onions, and most of the cheese. Mix all the ingredients well.
- In the food processor, puree the garlic, cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, and half a cup of buffalo sauce until it is smooth. Taste the sauce and see if you want to add in another quarter of a cup of buffalo sauce.
- Pour the pureed sauce over the pasta mix in the baking dish.
- Mix the remaining cheese and the panko bread crumbs together and then sprinkle over the top of the mac. Also, sprinkle on the remaining green onions.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly which will take about 30 to 40 minutes.
Pro Tip: If buying pre-shredded cheese, make sure to select one without fillers, that melts well. You can reduce the fat and calories by using low-fat cream cheese, shredded cheese, and blue cheese dressing.
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a good substitute for the blue cheese dressing?
A great substitute for blue cheese dressing for this recipe would be ranch dressing.
Do I have to add the exact amount of buffalo sauce?
No, you can make this recipe with as much spice to it as you would like, just keep testing it as you puree the ingredients together in the food processor.
What if you do not have a food processor?
If you do not have this kitchen tool, that is okay! You can use a whisk to help blend them all together! You will just have to use more effort into mixing it all together than using a food processor.
How long will this recipe last in the fridge?
This recipe can last in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 to 5 days.
Is this your first time visiting A Spicy Perspective?
Stay a while, poke around, and find more great recipes such as:
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 13 ounces whole grain pasta such as shells, penne or rotini (1 box)
- 1 pound cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 small bell peppers (red and yellow) seeded and diced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped and divided
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup refrigerated blue cheese dressing
- 3/4 cup “buffalo wing” cayenne pepper sauce
- 3 cups shredded cheese, divided (cheddar, mozzarella or a blend)
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Boil the pasta in salted water according to the package instructions. Drain and transfer to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Add the cooked chicken, chopped bell peppers, 3/4 of the green onions, and 2 1/4 cups of shredded cheese to the baking dish. Mix well.
- Place the garlic, cream cheese, blue cheese dressing and 1/2 cup hot wing sauce in a food processor. Puree until smooth, taste and add another 1/4 cup hot wing sauce if needed. Pour over the pasta and toss.
- Mix the remaining 3/4 cup cheese and the panko together. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta, then sprinkle with the remaining green onions.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, approximately 30-40 minutes.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!