Buffalo Chicken Salad
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Healthy Southern Chicken Salad?
Super Bowl Sunday can be a little tricky when you’re trying to stick with your New Year slim down plan.
And there are so many lean-mean dietary variations these days… Vegan, Low Carb, strict Keto, Whole 30, Paleo. The list goes on and on.
Well, this Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe won’t help if you are vegetarian or vegan. However, it does fit neatly in the low carb and keto category.
It’s also a gluten-free recipe and can be made Paleo with just a couple of minor adjustments!
The Best Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe
You can certainly make healthy versions of chicken salad in the classic style.
Yet one thing I’ve noticed over the years, is that if I take a simple chicken recipe and add “Buffalo Sauce” to it, my friends and family treat me as if I’ve just cured cancer or stopped global climate change.
“It’s just buffalo sauce, guys.” A line I have become accustomed to saying, to take the excitement and/or reverence down a notch.
After all, I’m just a cook with a bottle of Frank’s RedHot in close range.
You will be amazed at the effect a healthy drizzle of cayenne pepper sauce can do to a classic mild-flavored chicken salad.
Be prepared for a riot at the dinner table when you serve this cool and perky Buffalo Chicken Salad!
What Ingredients You Need
For this simple, scrumptious Buffalo Chicken Salad dip you need:
- Chopped cooked chicken – I suggest using either leftovers or a rotisserie chicken
- Celery – finely chopped
- Carrots – also finely chopped
- Mayonnaise – check out a simple recipe for paleo mayo in the recipe card below to make this a Paleo Buffalo Chicken Salad recipe
- Cayenne pepper sauce – like Frank’s RedHot
- Crumbled blue cheese – can omit if making as a paleo dip
- Seasonings – chopped fresh parsley, chives, and dill
And any extra goodies you want to use for scooping, like crackers, chips, or veggies.
How to Make This Easy Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe
Since this recipe uses rotisserie chicken it is ridiculously easy to prepare in only about 10 minutes – no cooking required! Plus, you can make it several days ahead of time, so it’s great for meal prepping and taking away any party-planning stress.
Here are the simple steps for making the best, tastiest, hands-down easiest Buffalo Chicken Salad from scratch:
First, set out a large mixing bowl. Then, chop up the cooked (and cooled!) chicken, celery and carrots, and fresh herbs, and place everything in the bowl.
Then add the mayonnaise, Frank’s RedHot cayenne pepper sauce, and crumbled blue cheese.
Use a spatula or large spoon to mix well.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or transfer the Buffalo Chicken Salad to a container with a lid. Refrigerate until ready to serve; I like to give it at least an hour so that the flavors really bond well.
Get the Complete (Printable) Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe Below. Enjoy!
What Should I Serve with Buffalo Chicken Salad?
Enjoy bold and tangy Buffalo chicken salad as a chunky dip with your favorite fresh-cut veggies, crackers, or chips. Try this Keto Almond Flour Cracker recipe as a keto and paleo-friendly option!
Top a big bowl of greens with a scoop of this Buffalo chicken for a protein-packed and super delicious salad. Or use as a tasty filling for wraps and sandwiches using our healthy versions of tortillas and grain-free bread.
How Long Does Homemade Chicken Salad with Buffalo Sauce Last?
This is a fantastic make-ahead recipe and is great for preparing in a large batch as part of your weekly meal plan.
Store leftovers in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. The flavors of the buffalo chicken and cheeses taste even better as they sit together.
Looking for More Delicious Salad and Dip Recipes?
- The Ultimate Southern Chicken Salad Recipe
- King Ranch Chicken Dip
- Cajun Hot Shrimp Dip Recipe
- Skinny Chicken Enchilada Dip
- Amazing Chipped Beef Dip
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken (leftover or rotisserie)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (Paleo version below)
- 1/2 cup cayenne pepper sauce (like Frank's RedHot)
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (omit for paleo version)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped chive
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Set out a large mixing bowl. Chop the chicken, vegetables, and herbs. Place them all in the bowl.
- Add in the mayonnaise, cayenne pepper sauce, and crumbled blue cheese. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Paleo Mayo (Aioli)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 1/2 cups avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves
Place two egg yolks in the food processor and allow them to come to room temperature. Add the vinegar, mustard, 1/4 cup of avocado oil, and garlic to the food processor. Turn on, and SLOWLY add the remaining oil in a tiny drizzling ribbon. If you're adding it slow enough, your arm will start to get sore, but don't give up. The slow ribbon of oil blending into the mixture allows the ingredients to emulsify into a thick creamy aioli.
Once all the oil is incorporated, scoop the aioli into a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Chilling the paleo mayo until ready to use in the Buffalo Chicken Salad.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!