Buffalo Chicken Salad
This bold zesty Buffalo Chicken Salad is low carb, gluten-free, and can easily be adjusted for Paleo diets. Try it in wraps, on green salads, and as a protein-packed dip!
Healthy Southern Chicken Salad?
Super Bowl Sunday can be a little tricky when you’re trying to stick with your New Year slim down plan.
However, there are so many lean-mean dietary variations these days… Vegan, Low Carb, strict Keto, Whole 30, Paleo. The list goes on and on.
Well, this Buffalo Chicken Salad Recipe won’t help if you are vegetarian or vegan. However, it does fit neatly in the low carb and keto category.
It’s also a gluten-free recipe and can be made Paleo with just a couple minor adjustments!
America Loves Buffalo Chicken
You can certainly make healthy versions of chicken salad in the classic style.
Yet one thing I’ve noticed over the years, is that is a take a simple chicken recipe and add “Buffalo Sauce” to it, my friends and family treat me as if I’ve just cured cancer or stopped global climate change.
“It’s just buffalo sauce, guys.” A line I have become accustomed to saying, to take the excitement and/or reverence down a notch.
After all, I’m just a cook with a bottle of Frank’s RedHot in close range.
You will be amazed at the effect a healthy drizzle of cayenne pepper sauce can do to a classic mild-flavored chicken salad.
Be prepared for a riot at the dinner table.
Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken (leftover or rotisserie)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (Paleo version below)
- 1/2 cup cayenne pepper sauce (like Frank's RedHot)
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (omit for paleo version)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped chive
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Set out a large mixing bowl. Chop the chicken, vegetables, and herbs. Place them all in the bowl.
- Add in the mayonnaise, cayenne pepper sauce, and crumbled blue cheese. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Paleo Mayo (Aioli)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 1/2 cups avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves
Place two egg yolks in the food processor and allow them to come to room temperature. Add the vinegar, mustard, 1/4 cup of avocado oil, and garlic to the food processor. Turn on, and SLOWLY add the remaining oil in a tiny drizzling ribbon. If you're adding it slow enough, your arm will start to get sore, but don't give up. The slow ribbon of oil blending into the mixture allows the ingredients to emulsify into a thick creamy aioli.
Once all the oil is incorporated, scoop the aioli into a bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Chilling the paleo mayo until ready to use in the Buffalo Chicken Salad.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!