Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles with Garlic Sauce
Amazing Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles with Garlic Sauce. Get your southern fried pickle fix without all the calories!
My first experience with fried pickles was 12 years ago at a local barbecue joint.
Heaven. Crisp salty heaven, that I will never forget, with a twang of vinegar.
Since then, every time we stop at a new barbecue restaurant, I immediately check the menu for fried pickles. If they are on the menu, I instantly believe the establishment has promise.
Southern fried pickles are ridiculously addictive, especially served with a creamy dipping sauce. Because of this, they aren’t known for being figure-friendly.
I thought it would be fun to see if I could make them in the oven, to cut the calories from the fry oil, and eliminate the messy clean up process from frying.
For today’s Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles with Garlic Sauce I used a triple-dip method of flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs normally used for frying.
However I added finely shredded reduced fat cheese to the panko bread crumbs to offer rich flavor and help the breading stick together. Then I coated both the baking sheet and the tops of the pickles with a light coat of cooking spray.
The result is a crunchy zesty Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles with Garlic Sauce recipe that is just as tantalizing as real fried pickles, with much less fat… And mess.
And for the dipping sauce?
You can use low fat ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping. Yet this creamy garlic sauce is a fresh garlic-dill sauce that is easy on the hips and tastebuds.
Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles with Garlic Sauce is a great party snack for spring. They compliment barbecue, of course, and all sorts of hearty southern meals. Give them a try!
Looking for More Southern Favorites?
Oven Baked "Fried" Pickles with Garlic Sauce
For the Oven Baked “Fried” Pickles:
- 16 ounces dill pickle slices drained
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely shredded reduced fat pepper jack cheese or habanero cheddar
- Cooking oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Then spray the parchment with cooking spray.
- Prep three bowls: one with flour, one with whisked egg and milk, and one with panko and finely shredded cheese mixed together. Drain the pickles then lay them out on a paper towel lined plate. Press the pickles with another paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Toss the pickles in the flour to thoroughly coat. Shake off the excess. Then dip the pickles in egg wash, followed by the panko mixture. Lay the triple-dipped pickles on the prepared baking sheet.
- Once all the pickles are coated in panko, spray the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- While the pickles are baking, mix the garlic sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then taste, and salt and pepper as needed. Serve the pickles warm, with a side of garlic sauce (or ranch dressing!)
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!