Italian Chicken Orzo Soup
We Are A Chicken Soup Family.
I can make any variety of chicken soup and my family will ooooh and ahhhh when they come to the table. Sometimes I make asian-style chicken soups. Sometimes I make creamy chicken soups with potatoes.
However, my favorite versions are those that are just a slight variation from classic chicken noodle soup. Brothy soups that offer veggies, herbs, pasta, and of course tender chicken mingled throughout.
Last year I shared my Greek Lemon Chicken Soup recipe with you fitting this category. It’s bright and tangy with lemon zest and feta cheese.
However, I love today’s Italian Chicken Soup with Orzo just as much, and I think you will too!
Ultra cozy Chicken Orzo Soup offers the appeal of classic chicken noodle… Chicken, pasta, onions, celery, and carrots.
However, it has a bolder herbaceous flavor from the generous addition of garlic, dried Italian Herb Seasoning, and fresh basil leaves.
I also prefer the small orzo pasta that fits neatly in a spoon, instead of long noodles that have to be swirled again and again in order to safely make the trip to your mouth.
What Ingredients You Will Need
- Large Sweet Onion – peeled and chopped
- Minced Garlic Cloves
- Sliced Carrots
- Sliced Celery
- Dried Italian Seasoning
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Chicken Broth – or water + chicken base
- Dried Orzo Pasta – could use whole grain or gluten-free pasta
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
Italian Chicken Soup is so comforting and delicious, it’s a meal we could eat every week. Maybe every day.
I love making a large pot of soup knowing I’ll have leftovers the next day. It’s a great lunch to take in a thermos now that the weather is cooling off.
How To Make Italian Chicken Orzo Soup
Our Chicken Soup is made with fresh healthy ingredients. You can easily substitute whole grain or even gluten-free pasta to suit your diet.
You are going to love this!
- Saute. Place the butter, onions, and garlic in a large sauce pot, and set over medium heat. Saute the onions for 3 minutes to soften. Then stir in the carrots, celery, Italian Seasoning, and salt. Saute another 3-5 minutes.
- Cook the Chicken. Add whole chicken breasts to the pot and pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Cook the Orzo in the Soup. Remove the chicken from the pot and set on a cutting board. Add the orzo to the soup and stir well so it doesn’t stick.
- Chop the Chicken. Chop or shred the chicken into bite-size pieces, then return to the pot.
- Taste. When ready to serve, taste, then season with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese. Ladle into bowls and serve warm!
Get the Full (Printable) Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Spices/Herbs Could I Use In Place Of The Italian Seasoning?
Italian seasoning usually contains oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary. Some have a few extra herbs, but this is a good base. Use any of these you like, and omit the flavors you don’t.
Can I Use Leftover Chicken And Dried Basil?
Sure, you can! Just make sure to place it in the pot towards the end of cooking the soup as to not overcook the chicken, but just warm it up! Anytime you can use up leftovers, go for it! Personally, I like fresh herbs best, but in a pinch, always substitute 1/3 the number of dried herbs for fresh.
How Long Do Leftovers Last?
Leftovers of this soup can last in an airtight container, in the fridge, for 4 to 5 days. You can also freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before rewarming.
Other Great Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Soup with Spinach Recipe
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup Recipe
- Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Low Carb Green Curry Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Italian Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta (could use whole grain or gluten-free pasta)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Place the butter, onions, and garlic in a large sauce pot, and set over medium heat. Saute the onions for 3 minutes to soften. Then stir in the carrots, celery, Italian Seasoning, and 1 teaspoon salt. Saute another 3-5 minutes.
- Add whole chicken breasts to the pot. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set on a cutting board. Add the orzo to the soup and stir well so it doesn’t stick. Chop or shred the chicken into bite-size pieces, then return to the pot.
- When ready to serve, taste, then season with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese. Ladle into bowls and serve warm!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!