Fast and fragrant Spanish Paella Sheet Pan Dinner. Get your Spanish fix in a hurry!
The downfall of our one-click generation is that we are so used to instant gratification, we’re ridiculously spoiled.
We want what we want, and right now, thank you very much. Credit cards, fast food, speed dating, drive-thru grocery shopping all feed this problem. And what happens when we don’t get what we want? Tantrums, blaming, depression.
Just watch how people react in the airport when a flight is delayed, or how they respond in a store when a line closes down and you’ll see… We have a real problem on our hands.
I try my hardest not to fall into this trap of being discontent. In our society, sometimes it’s a daily fight.
It’s even trickier to teach our kids not to expect everything they want right when they want it, and that true joy doesn’t come from more.
Instead, we’re trying to teach them that they might actually be happier long-term if they don’t get everything they want right when they want it. That it builds characteristics like: appreciation for the things we have, finding joy in hard work, and gratefulness for people, when we have to wait… Or even do something significant for the things we want to achieve in life.
I know, I know. I sound like a grandma.
It’s an old-soul thing. Sometimes I just wish for simpler times and an old-fashioned “hard work pays off” era. I certainly don’t want to bolster the terrible right-now mindset we live in.
So… I feel a little guilty about sharing today’s recipe, Spanish Paella Sheet Pan Dinner.
This tantalizing, yet super easy, recipe might make you feel like you can have everything you want in a hurry, and that only perpetuates the problem.
Don’t you see? By informing you that you can make this amazing Spanish Paella Sheet Pan Dinner in just 20 minutes (a meal that would normally take around two hours to make) I’ve now become part of the problem.
Please forgive me.
But it’s true! At least at dinnertime, you can have it all really fast, by making our Spanish Paella Sheet Pan Dinner.
Using only one sheet pan for cooking means very little clean up, making dinner even more simple!
To make this society-degenerating, yet vibrant and delicious, Spanish Paella Sheet Pan Dinner, start by roasting the spices and vegetables in a hot oven for 5 minutes.
Next add raw shrimp and Spanish chorizo to the sheet pan and roast another 5 minutes.
Finally add minute rice, broth, and peas. Then pop the pan back in the oven for, you guessed it, 5 more minutes.
Just know, I feel torn over this.
You are going to adore our Spanish Paella Sheet Pan Dinner, but don’t let it trick you into thinking everything in life should be fast and easy. *wink*
Spanish Paella Sheet Pan Dinner
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, cleaned
- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo, sliced (or another spicy hard sausage)
- 3 cups minute rice
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle olive oil over a large 13 X 18 inch rimmed sheet pan. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, lemon zest, paprika, saffron, and a couple shakes of crushed red pepper if desired. Once the oven is hot, roast the veggies and spices for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and add the shrimp and chorizo. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Shake the pan so the protein settles on the bottom and place back in the oven for 5 minutes, until the shrimp are mostly cooked.
- Finally push the shrimp and chorizo the the edges of the pan. Pour the minute rice in center of the sheet pan. Then pour the chicken broth directly over the rice to coat it. Add the peas and shake the pan to settle the rice down in the broth. Pop the pan back in the oven for 5-8 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven and stir well to mix the spices throughout the rice. If there is a little broth left in the pan, let it sit for just a couple minutes to let the rice absorb the broth. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve warm!
Yield: 4-6 servings, Serving Size: 6
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 376 Calories
- Total Fat: 13.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 174mg
- Sodium: 1698mg
- Carbohydrates: 31.8g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sugar: 2.9g
- Protein: 30.8g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!