Retro Crockpot Roast Beef (Shredded Beef)
My friend and hairstylist Val is a great cook. We are always comparing recipes and kitchen hacks to make dinnertime easier and delicious. Some of my best dishes – and hairstyles – have been with thanks to her sharing her great taste with me.
Seriously, everyone should have a pal like Val.
She recently shared this old-school 4-ingredient Retro Crockpot Roast Beef recipe with me that her family loves. It includes ketchup and cola, so you know this one will be easy to get the kids to enjoy.
We tried her crockpot shredded beef and of course my family loves it now as well!
Classic Crockpot Roast Beef
This roast beef recipe is perfect for putting together at the beginning of the day, then setting and forgetting until it’s time for dinner. It could not be any easier!
One bite and you will definitely remember this recipe from childhood. The flavors of the tangy onion soup mix, zesty ketchup, and sweet cola combine in the slow cooker to create an incredibly hearty, savory shredded beef that goes well with nearly any side dish. It is great for making as a large batch and enjoying for several leftover meals!
Val serves her homemade shredded roast beef over wide egg noodles, with lots of the saucy-juicy goodness on top. However, it’s yummy with potatoes, rice, and even on sandwich rolls.
What Ingredients You Need
There are only 4 ingredients in this amazingly simple crockpot recipe! In fact, you might have all of these in your kitchen right now.
Here is everything that you need:
- Boneless beef chuck roast – the best cut for making roast beef
- Onion soup & dip mix – like Lipton Recipe Secrets
- Ketchup – for acidity, great tanginess, and bright tomato flavor
- Coca-cola – to properly tenderize the beef and create perfect shred-ability, and also adds just the right hint of sweetness
Beef chuck is my personal favorite “roast” cut of meat for rich, fatty beef flavor and wonderful shredding ability. You can use other types of beef roast as well, but be sure it has plenty of fat so the meat doesn’t become dry in the slow cooker.
Feel free to use another brand of cola, other than Coca-cola, for this shredded beef recipe. While I personally prefer cola with sugar for the most robust taste, you can substitute with diet soda for fewer calories.
How to Make Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
Get this classic crockpot shredded beef recipe going in the morning before you head out the door, and come home in the evening to the most fabulously enticing aroma of savory roast beef.
There is no need to pre-cook the meat at all, and prep only takes about 10 minutes total!
Here’s how Val makes the best Retro Roast Beef in the Slow Cooker:
- First, place the chuck roast in the bottom on a large 6+ quart slow cooker.
- Then add the onion soup packet to the crock, place the ketchup over the beef, and pour in the Coke. You don’t need to stir!
- Cover the crockpot and cook on LOW for 9-11 hours or on HIGH for 5-7 hours.
Once it is fully cooked, use two forks to shred the roast beef into the sauce. Remove any large chunks of fat if desired.
Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
The shredded roast beef continues to get more flavorful as it sits, so this is a great dish for meal prepping! Leftovers keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Get the Complete (Printable) Retro Crockpot Roast Beef Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Is Crockpot Roast Beef Gluten-Free?
It can be! If the soup packet you buy is gluten free, the entire recipe is as well.
How Can I Serve Shredded Beef?
Enjoy as a classic shredded roast beef dish by serving over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
We also love making giant sandwiches with this tangy shredded beef… hamburger buns are best for containing all of the juiciness!
Looking for More Satisfying Slow Cooker Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Smoked Pulled Pork
- Crock Pot Brisket Sandwiches (Texas BBQ Beef)
- Mom’s Best Beef Pot Roast
- Italian Beef Recipe
- 2-Ingredient Crock Pot Taco Meat
Retro Crockpot Roast Beef (Shredded Beef)
- Place the chuck roast in the bottom on a large 6+ quart slow cooker.
- Add the onion soup packet to the crock. Then place the ketchup over the beef and pour in the Coke.
- Cover and slow cooker on LOW for 9-11 hours or on HIGH for 5-7 hours.
- Use two forks to shred the beef into the sauce. Remove any large chunks of fat if desired. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.