Classic Beef Barley Soup
Classic Beef Barley Soup Recipe – Loaded with vegetables, chunks of tender beef, and herbs. This simple soup recipe is easy to make and so inviting!
Soup For Chilly Nights
What’s for dinner tonight? How about Classic Beef Barley Soup simmering on the stovetop!
There are nights only a big steaming pot of soup will do.
Cold nights. Nights darkened by the early sunset of daylight savings. Nights you want to sit by the fire with a cup of soup in hand, and a loved one by your side.
Our Beef Barley Soup Recipe is just the sort of soup to serve on brisk fall or winter evenings.
It’s hearty, rich, and packed with chunky goodness. Made with fresh ingredients, this is a healthy meal you can feel great about feeding your family.
My kids are always thrilled to come home to a pot of beef barley soup sitting on the stove, with slices of Zucchini Parmesan Bread on the side.
This soup recipe makes a large pot that can feed 8-12 people. It’s a great meal for casual gatherings and also makes wonderful leftovers…. The kind that doesn’t stay leftover for long.
Give it a go! Classic Beef Barley Soup might just become a new family staple.
It’s cozy, delicious, and easy to make!
How to Make Classic Barley Soup
- Olive Oil
- Beef Chuck Roast
- Sweet Onion
- Sliced Carrots
- Sliced Celery
- Garlic Cloves
- Beef Both (You could buy low sodium or a salt-free option)
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Dried Barley
- Fresh Thyme Leaves
- Fresh Chopped Rosemary Leaves
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
Step by Step
- Saute the onions in a sauce pot for a couple of minutes then stir in the carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
- While that is cooking, cut the beef into chunks, then push all the vegetables to the side of the pot and add the beef chunks to the center of the pot. Brown the meat for about five minutes.
- Once the beef is browned, add in the broth, tomatoes, and all the seasonings. Stir it all together.
- Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. If you need to, you can lower the heat to simmer. Once covered, let this soup simmer until the barley and beef are tender. Make sure to stir occasionally, but let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve warm!
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Classic Beef Barley Soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a way to lessen the sodium in this recipe?
Yes, you can purchase low sodium broth or sodium-free broth. If you are sensitive to sodium check the cartons of each brand of broth to select the lowest option.
Can Beef Barley Soup be prepared in a crockpot?
Yes, just make sure to sauté the veggies and brown the beef over the stovetop first. Then mix the ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
How long will this last? Does this soup make a good leftover?
Barley Beef Soup makes a wonderful leftover! This recipe can be stored in the fridge for 4 to 6 days in an airtight container. Or in the freezer for up to 6 months. (Make sure to mark the date that you put it in the freezer for so you know how long it is in there!)
Other Warm Recipes To Try:
- Light Creamy Chicken Barley Kale Soup Recipe
- The Best Beef Stew Recipe
- Beef and Lentil Stew Recipe
- Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja (Cuban Beef) Recipe
- Philly Cheese Steak Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Classic Beef Barley Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups beef broth
- 15 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 1 cup dried barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large saucepot over medium heat and add the olive oil and onions. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the beef into small 1/2-inch chunks. Push the veggies to the side of the pot and add the meat. Brown for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Then add in the broth, tomatoes, barley, herbs, crushed red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir well.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat if needed and simmer until the barley is cooked and the beef is tender, stirring occasionally. About 30 minutes.
- Taste. Then season with salt and pepper as needed.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!