Beef Barley Soup Recipe with Vegetables
Beef Barley Soup Recipe with Vegetables – Loaded with vegetables, chunks of tender beef, and herbs. This simple soup recipe is easy to make and so inviting!
Barley Soup For Chilly Nights
What’s for dinner tonight? How about Classic Beef Barley Soup simmering on the stovetop!
There are nights only a big steaming pot of soup will do.
Cool nights. Nights darkened by early sunsets. Nights you want to sit by the fire with a cup of soup in hand, and a loved one by your side.
Our Beef Barley Soup Recipe is just the sort of soup to serve on brisk evenings.
It’s hearty, rich, and packed with chunky goodness. Made with fresh ingredients, this is a healthy meal you can feel great about feeding your family.
Beef Soup Love
This soup recipe makes a large pot that can feed 8-12 people. It’s a great comfort food meal for casual gatherings and also makes wonderful leftovers…. The kind that doesn’t stay leftover for long.
Give it a go! Classic Beef Barley Soup might just become a new family staple. It’s cozy, delicious, and easy to make.
Vegetable Beef Barley Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil – to saute the veggies
- Beef Chuck Roast – cut into chunks
- Sweet Onion – peeled and chopped
- Sliced Carrots – to add a touch of sweetness
- Sliced Celery – to round out the overall flavor
- Garlic Cloves – fresh is always best
- Beef Broth – you could buy low sodium or a salt-free option
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes – the kind with the little bits of char on the tomato chunks
- Dried Barley – sometimes call pearl barley
- Fresh Thyme Leaves – or dried
- Fresh Chopped Rosemary Leaves – or dried
- Crushed Red Pepper – optional to add a little kick you can add a whole teaspoon for a more spice
- Salt and Pepper – as needed
How to Make Classic Beef and Barley Soup
Step by Step
- Saute the onions and tablespoon olive oil in a saucepot (or dutch oven) at medium-high heat for a couple of minutes. Then stir in the carrots, celery, and garlic, and cook for a few more minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, cut the beef into cubes. Then push all the vegetables to the side of the pot and add the beef chunks to the center of the pot. Brown the meat for about five minutes.
- Once the beef is browned, add in the broth, tomatoes, and all the seasonings. Stir it all together.
- Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. If you need to, you can lower the heat to simmer. Once covered, let this soup simmer until the barley and beef are tender. Make sure to stir occasionally, but let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve warm!
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Classic Beef Barley Soup Recipe with Vegetables!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a way to lessen the sodium in this recipe?
Yes, you can purchase low sodium broth or sodium-free broth. If you are sensitive to sodium check the cartons of each brand of broth to select the lowest option.
Can Beef Barley Soup be prepared in a crockpot?
Yes, just make sure to sauté the veggies and brown the beef over the stovetop first. Then mix the ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
How long will this last? Does this soup make a good leftover?
Barley Beef Soup makes a wonderful leftover! This recipe can be stored in the fridge for 4 to 6 days in an airtight container. This soup also freezes well, so you can store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. The night before you want to reheat it, place it in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. (Make sure to mark the date that you put it in the freezer for so you know how long it is in there!)
Can I Use Dried Herbs?
I suggest that you use fresh herbs for a more robust flavor, however, you can use dried herbs as well if that is all you have on hand. Generally, use 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for 1 tablespoon of fresh.
What To Serve With This Stew?
This recipe would be great served on top of brown rice or any kind of grain of your choice. The tender chunks of beef paired with the rice make for a great satisfying meal.
Other Warm Recipes To Try:
- Light Creamy Chicken Barley Kale Soup Recipe
- The Best Beef Stew Recipe
- Beef and Lentil Stew Recipe
- Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja (Cuban Beef) Recipe
- Philly Cheese Steak Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Check the printable recipe below for the nutrition information including protein, cholesterol, carbohydrates, fiber, and fat (aka monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and trans fat).
Beef Barley Soup Recipe with Vegetables
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cups beef broth
- 15 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 1 cup dried barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large saucepot over medium heat and add the olive oil and onions. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the beef into small 1/2-inch chunks. Push the veggies to the side of the pot and add the meat. Brown for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Then add in the broth, tomatoes, barley, herbs, crushed red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir well.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat if needed and simmer until the barley is cooked and the beef is tender, stirring occasionally. About 30 minutes.
- Taste. Then season with salt and pepper as needed.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!