What’s for dinner tonight? How about Perfect Beef Barley Soup simmering on the stovetop!
There are nights only a big steaming pot of soup will do.
Cold nights. Nights darkened by the early sunset of daylight savings. Nights you want to sit by the fire with a cup of soup in hand, and a loved one by your side.
Our Perfect Beef Barley Soup recipe is just the sort of soup to serve on brisk winter evenings.
It’s hearty, rich, and packed with chunky goodness. Made with fresh ingredients, this is a healthy meal you can feel great about feeding your family.
My kids are always thrilled to come home to a pot of Perfect Beef Barley Soup sitting on the stove, with slices of Zucchini Parmesan Bread on the side.
Plus, this soup recipe makes a large pot that can feed 8-12 people. It’s a great meal for casual gatherings and also makes wonderful leftovers.
The kind that don’t stay leftover for long.
Give it a go! Perfect Beef Barley Soup might just become a new family staple.
It’s cozy, delicious, and easy to make!
Perfect Beef Barley Soup
Yield: 8+ servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:45 minutes
Perfect Beef Barley Soup Recipe, loaded with vegetables, chunks of tender beef, and herbs. This simple soup recipe is easy to make and so inviting!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 cups beef broth
- 15 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dried barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary leaves (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large sauce pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and onions. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the beef into small 1/2 inch chunks. Push the veggies to the side of the pot and add the meat. Brown for 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Then add in the broth, tomatoes, barley, herbs, crushed red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir well.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat if needed and simmer until the barley is cooked and the beef is tender, stirring occasionally. About 30 minutes.
- Taste. Then season with salt and pepper as needed.
Yield: 8+ servings, Serving Size: 8
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 532 Calories
- Total Fat: 21.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 150mg
- Sodium: 1557mg
- Carbohydrates: 27.1g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Protein: 55.4g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!