Whether you follow a paleo diet or not, this bold and tasty Paleo Cashew Chicken Recipe, will easily become a favorite mid-week go-to meal.
Thinking healthy thoughts…. Thinking healthy thoughts.
Our New Year Detox is underway, and I’m trying my best to ramp up our intake of greens, and get rid of processed ingredients this month. Yet one week in, and I’m already tired of salad for every meal. Something’s got to give.
My plan to stay on the straight and narrow is to recreate some of our most-loved dishes into lighter cleaner versions of themselves.
You can find quite a few “comfort food reborn” recipes sprinkled around our site. And today’s cleaned-up meal idea, my Paleo Cashew Chicken Recipe, is an instant favorite. Guaranteed.
I’ve taken our classic cashew chicken recipe and substituted several paleo-friendly ingredients to make it (hopefully) fit into your eating plan this month.
Since paleo eaters avoid grains, legumes, and processed sugar, I’ve removed the typical cornstarch, soy, and sugar. Then replaced them with arrow root powder to thicken, coconut aminos to add savory flavor, and palm sugar (or raw honey) to sweeten the Paleo Cashew Chicken Recipe.
The verdict in my house is that this paleo version of cashew chicken is just as good, if not better, than the original.
You still have the strong tangy essence of the original recipe, yet without the junk. The savory sauce is kissed with garlic, fresh ginger, a touch of palm sugar, and crushed red pepper. So it’s savory and a little spicy, bringing out the natural sweetness in the red bell peppers.
Honestly, I love my new Paleo Cashew Chicken Recipe. I have a feeling we will be eating it a lot this year, no matter what diet we are following.
And if you are planning to make some dietary adjustments this year, the substitute ingredients used in this recipe are nice to have on hand.
Paleo Cashew Chicken Recipe
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
Easy Paleo Cashew Chicken Recipe. So tasty, you won’t miss the naughty ingredients. This is a quick healthy meal, easy enough to pull together on any night!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/3 cups raw whole cashews
- 1 large bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons arrow root powder ( instead of 1 tablespoon cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
For the Sauce:
- Preheat a large deep skillet to medium high. Add the coconut oil and once melted, add the red bell pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes to softened. Then scoop out the bell pepper.
- Sprinkle the arrow root powder and salt over the cut chicken pieces and toss to coat. Add the chicken to the skillet. Stir and saute for 5-8 minutes until the chicken is mostly cooked through and seared on the outside.
- Meanwhile, whisk all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Once the chicken is mostly cooked, add the sauce to the skillet and stir. Add the red bell peppers and cashew to the skillet. Once the sauce starts to simmer, lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer another 3-5 minutes to thicken.
- If the sauce tightens up too much, add a little water to loosen it. Turn the heat off and add the chopped scallions. Serve warm with Roasted Cauliflower Rice.
Yield: 4-6 servings, Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 442 Calories
- Total Fat: 18.8g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 135mg
- Sodium: 311mg
- Carbohydrates: 20.9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sugar: 12.2g
- Protein: 46g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!