Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Wings
Why We Love this Chicken Wing Recipe
Small yet flavorful, handy to eat with your fingers, and perfect to dip… Is there a tastier or more beloved game day party snack than the iconic baked Buffalo Chicken wings recipe? I think not.
But, just because a food is classic doesn’t mean there is only one delicious version! From Chili Lime and Habanero Peach to Lemon Pepper and Spicy Wings with Apple Onion Dip, we consider the humble chicken wing to be a blank canvas for nearly any tasty spices and sauce.
Here we are sharing our favorite recipe for ultra-crispy breaded Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings. They are easy to bake in the oven with a crisp irresistible coating, and are finished with an extra sprinkling of cheese. Take a bite and it feels like a breaded fried wing, but is a slightly healthier version that doesn’t require deep frying!
Ingredients You Need
- Chicken wings – trimmed, sometimes called party wings
- Cornstarch and baking powder – this combo makes the most crunchy and crisp chicken wing skin
- Salt – a pinch to enhance all of the flavors
- Garlic powder – deep, earthy, and savory spice that really makes the Parmesan pop
- Butter – melted
- Parmesan cheese – grated, not shredded
- Italian seasoning – store-bought or try our Homemade Italian Seasoning blend
- Crushed red pepper – optional for slightly spicy garlic Parmesan wings (or black pepper for less heat)
Pro Tip: “Trimmed wings” are wings that have any excess skin flaps trimmed off, so they look more appealing. You can buy them trimmed or do it yourself.
How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Set out a large baking sheet, and line it with parchment paper or foil.
Set out a large bowl. Place the trimmed chicken wings into the bowl. Pat the wings dry with some paper towels. Add in 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder. Toss well to coat the wings in the dry mixture.
Then lay the wings out on the rimmed baking sheet in an even layer. For the crispiest baked Parmesan garlic wings be sure they do not touch! (Make sure to line the cookie sheet with parchment paper or a wire rack.)
Place the baking sheet in the hot oven and bake the wings for 20 minutes. Then flip the wings over and bake for another 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a shallow microwave-safe bowl and set aside. Then set out a clean mixing bowl and combine 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, the remaining 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper to taste. Stir well.
Once the wings have been baked for 40 minutes, remove them from the oven. One at a time, dunk each crispy wing in the melted butter, tapping off the excess.
Then roll it in the Parmesan cheese mixture.
Get the Complete (Printable) Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Wings Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Set each wing back on the baking sheet.
Once all the wings are coated in the Parmesan mixture, place them back in the oven to bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until golden.
When the wings come out of the oven and are still warm, sprinkle the tops with the remaining quarter cup of Parmesan cheese.
Serve the baked wings warm by themselves as an appetizer, snack, or fun side dish.
Although they are very flavorful and technically don’t need a sauce – c’mon, we all love to dunk a crunchy breaded chicken wing into a delicious dipping sauce! A few of our favorites include:
- Ranch dressing
- Blue cheese dressing
- Caesar dressing
- Alfredo sauce
- Garlic sauce
- Creamy pesto
Or pair them with any other rich and creamy sauce you like!
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you cover chicken wings when baking in the oven?
No, do not cover the wings! Any covering will hold in moisture and make the breading soggy.
What is the secret to crispy chicken wings?
Using a combination of cornstarch and baking powder creates a perfectly crunchy coating. The baking powder draws the moisture out of the skin as the wings bake. It is also important to not overcrowd the baking sheet, and be sure to bake them for the full listed time.
Can I add sauce to these wings?
If you want to add a garlic parmesan wing sauce to your baked chicken wings recipe, I recommend heating up the sauce and using it as a dipping sauce. This will ensure you will have super crispy wings, but they will have some extra garlicky flavor with the garlic-parmesan sauce!
How long do leftovers last?
Leftovers from this baked chicken wings recipe will keep well for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Cool them completely before transferring them to an airtight container and placing them in the fridge.
What is the best way to reheat chicken wings?
Reheat the wings in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes until crispy and hot. Or, if you can, I highly recommend reheating them in the air fryer.
Can I bake these Garlic Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer instead of the oven?
Sure! You can air fry the wings at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes, flip once in the middle. Then coat the wings and air fry again for 3-5 minutes. However, the air fryer garlic parmesan wings MUST go into the air fryer in a single layer, therefore you may have to work in batches.
Looking for More Sensational Snack Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Pretzel Crusted Chicken Skewers
- Homemade Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Cajun Fries (French Fry Seasoning Recipe)
- Baked Cheesy Pretzel Poppers
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Bites
Crispy Garlic Parmesan Wings (Baked!) Recipe + VIDEO
- 2 – 2 ½ pounds chicken wings trimmed (sometimes called party wings)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder divided
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese divided (not shredded)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Set out a large baking sheet, and line it with parchment paper or foil.
- Set out a large mixing bowl. Place the trimmed chicken wings into the bowl. Add in 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder. Toss well to coat the wings in the dry mixture. Then lay the wings out on the baking sheet in an even layer, making sure the wings do not touch.
- Place the baking sheet in the hot oven and bake the wings for 20 minutes. Then flip the wings over and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a shallow microwave-safe bowl and set aside. Then set out a clean mixing bowl and combine 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, the remaining 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Once the wings have baked for 40 minutes, remove them from the oven. One at a time, dunk each wing in the melted butter, tap off the excess, and then roll it in the Parmesan cheese mixture. Set each wing back on the baking sheet.
- Once all the wings are coated in the Parmesan mixture, place them back in the oven to bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until golden.
- When the wings come out of the oven, sprinkle the tops with the remaining quarter cup of Parmesan cheese. Serve warm, as is, or with dipping sauces like ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, or garlicy Caesar dressing!