Before there were cupcakes, there were muffins… Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins.
Muffins are such an unassuming little snack. They pose as just about anything… breakfast, dessert, companion to coffee. Muffins will be whatever you want them to be, and will do it with grace.
Popularity often dictates food culture, but don’t let the current trendiness of the modern cupcake tempt you to snub this sweet little treat.
Don’t forget, in the late eighties and early nineties, muffins were all the rage.
Remember the Seinfeld episode with Elaine and the muffin tops? Top of the muffin to you… Anyone?!? (I can hear crickets chirping in the silence.)
Muffins, as we know them, are a true American invention popping up in cookbooks in the early 1900s. Hearty and rustic, yet light and flavorful. They don’t need frosting, or any other ingredient to perfect them.
Muffins have the substance to stand alone.
I admit, this isn’t the most original flavor combination I’ve ever come up with, but it is definitely worth while.
The classic duo of strawberry and rhubarb adds marvelous flavor to these light and creamy Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins. Just look at the dome on these babies!
Yogurt is one of my favorite baking ingredients because it provides a tart quality, like buttermilk, along with a moist, rich, creamy texture.
A good muffin batter (in my opinion) should be thick enough of “hold” the berries and rhubarb in place, yet offer a moist tender crumb once baked.
This particular Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins recipe “takes the cake” and has become my favorite go-to recipe.
Simply mix your wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Combine. Toss in the strawberries and rhubarb, and top with a little brown sugar before baking
Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins are so easy to make an eight-year-old can do it!
Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon to coat the berries
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup chopped rhubarb, one large piece
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup brown sugar for the top
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and oil until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the first four dry ingredients. Add the egg, yogurt and almond extract to the sugar mixture and mix well. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
- Toss the chopped rhubarb and strawberries with 1 tablespoon flour. Add the rhubarb and strawberries to the batter and lightly mix in.
- Place paper muffin liner in your muffin tins. Use a ¼ cup scoop to fill the liners. Sprinkle a little brown sugar on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden on top.
NOTE: Some yogurts are thicker than others, making the batter dry. The batter should be thick, but if it's too thick (like dough instead of batter) mix in another 1/4 - 1/2 cup yogurt.