Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins Recipe – A simple muffin recipe with tons of appeal! These might just be the best muffins you’ll ever make… Moist, chunky, light, and tangy.
Before there were cupcakes, there were muffins.
Muffins are such an unassuming little snack. They pose as just about anything… Breakfast, dessert, a companion to coffee. Muffins will be whatever you want them to be, and will do it with grace.
Popularity often dictates food culture, but don’t let the current trendiness of the modern cupcake tempt you to snub this sweet little treat.
Don’t forget, in the late eighties and early nineties, muffins were all the rage.
Remember the Seinfeld episode with Elaine and the muffin tops? Top of the muffin to you… Anyone?!? (I can hear crickets chirping in the silence.)
Muffins, as we know them, are a truly American invention popping up in cookbooks in the early 1900s. Hearty and rustic, yet light and flavorful. They don’t need frosting, or any other ingredient to perfect them.
Muffins have the substance to stand alone.
I admit, this isn’t the most original flavor combination I’ve ever come up with, but it is definitely worth while.
The classic duo of strawberry and rhubarb adds marvelous flavor to these light and creamy Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins. Just look at the dome on these babies!
Yogurt is one of my favorite baking ingredients because it provides a tart quality, like buttermilk, along with a moist, rich, creamy texture.
A good muffin batter (in my opinion) should be thick enough to “hold” the berries and rhubarb in place, yet offer a moist tender crumb once baked.
This particular Strawberry Rhubarb Yogurt Muffins recipe “takes the cake” and has become my favorite go-to recipe.
Homemade Yogurt Muffin Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour – Plus a little extra to coat the berries.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Unsalted Butter – Softened so that it is easier to mix in with the other ingredients.
- Vegetable Oil – Or your preferred cooking oil.
- Granulated Sugar
- Large Egg
- Plain Yogurt – Some yogurts are thicker than others, making the batter dry. The batter should be thick, but if it’s too thick (like dough instead of a batter) mix in another 1/4 – 1/2 cup yogurt.
- Almond Extract – Added for extra flavor that compliments the strawberry and rhubarb.
- Chopped Rhubarb – This comes out to about one large piece of fresh rhubarb.
- Chopped Strawberries
- Brown Sugar – This is for topping the muffins before baking.
How To Make Yogurt Strawberry and Rhubarb Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Simply mix your wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls, (the egg, yogurt, and almond extract go in with the sugar).
- Slowly combine the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
- Toss the strawberries and rhubarb in a little bit of flour then add it to the muffin mixture and lightly mix it all together.
- Line your cupcake pan with some paper liners and use a ¼ cup scoop to spoon in the batter.
- Lightly top each muffin with a little brown sugar before baking. Bake in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes until they are golden on top.
- Serve them warm and enjoy!
Get the Complete (Printable) Yogurt Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins Recipe Below. Enjoy!
What To Serve With These Homemade Muffins
Here are just a few things that you could make along with your muffin to finish your breakfast off strong!
- Mango Smoothie with Green Tea
- Green Protein Smoothie
- Simple Strawberry Smoothie
- Bruleed Grapefruit
- The Creamiest Cheese Grits
- Sweet Potato Hash (Potatoes O’Brien)
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does this recipe last in the fridge?
These muffins can last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days, but they can also stay out on the counter in an airtight container or ziplock bag for 2 to 3 days.
Can I freeze these muffins?
Yes, these little treats can be stored in the freezer for up to 4 to 5 months. When you are ready for them, allow them to thaw at room temperature.
How do you cut rhubarb for baking?
Start by cutting off the thick rough ends, and then chop it like you would chop celery when wanting smaller chunks.
Other Great Muffin/Breakfast Recipes
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Recipe
- Honey Cinnamon Cornbread Muffins
- Irish Soda Bread Muffins
- Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins
- Apple Spice Cornbread Muffin Recipe
- Spinach Scrambled Egg Muffins
- Ginger Wheat Blackberry Muffins
- Maple Bacon Corn Muffins
- Chunky Pear and Applesauce Muffins
- Best Avocado Toast with Egg Recipe
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon to coat the berries
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup chopped rhubarb (one large piece)
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar for the top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and oil until smooth.
In a separate bowl, combine the first four dry ingredients. Add the egg, yogurt and almond extract to the sugar mixture and mix well. Slowly add the dry mixture into the wet mixture.
- Toss the chopped rhubarb and strawberries with 1 tablespoon flour. Add the rhubarb and strawberries to the batter and lightly mix in.
- Place paper muffin liner in your muffin tins. Use a 1/4-cup scoop to fill the liners. Sprinkle a little brown sugar on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden on top.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!