Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding (Vegan!)
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding – An easy no-cook vegan recipe for rich, creamy and delicious chocolate pudding with chia seeds. This healthy plant-based treat is dairy-free, gluten-free, and perfect to customize to your tastes!
The Best, Easiest Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding Recipe
I am a serious sucker for a good pudding recipe. These creamy and delicious desserts are usually super easy to prepare with no baking needed. And there are just so many fantastic variations!
This Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding is a healthy chocolate treat for those who can’t eat dairy or grains, or are on a plant-based or vegan diet. Or, for anyone who just loves chocolate and is trying to enjoy desserts that are on the healthier side.
This simple chocolate pudding is made with only 5 ingredients and takes only minutes to make. (Plus, chill time.) The flavor is rich and chocolatey, while the texture is similar to tapioca pudding, because the chia seeds create little soft bubbles around each seed. It’s these magical little gel bubbles that thicken the dairy-free pudding.
Ingredients You Need
You’ll love that this dairy-free pudding recipe only includes 5 wholesome ingredients.
To make this deliciously decadent (yet healthier!) vegan-friendly chocolate pudding you need:
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – high quality for the best taste
- Chia seeds – whole or ground, depending on texture preference
- Unsweetened cashew milk – or other plant-based milk you like, such as almond milk or macadamia nut milk
- Maple syrup – can also use agave or honey for a non-vegan version that’s still dairy-free
- Vanilla extract – or other flavored extracts, such as hazelnut or almond
Plus any of your favorite sweet goodies for topping!
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Pudding With Chia Seeds
Whip up this chocolate pudding in just 5 minutes! It then needs a few hands-off hours to chill before it has the right thick and creamy consistency.
I love to make a batch around lunchtime when I’ve got a spare second, and you have a perfectly decadent, dairy-free pudding dessert to enjoy after dinner – no baking or effort needed!
To make this easy and healthy pudding recipe, first set out a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the cocoa powder and chia seeds to the bowl, and whisk well to break up all the cocoa powder clumps.
In a separate measuring pitcher, whisk together the cashew milk (or preferred non-dairy milk), maple syrup, and vanilla. You can add a pinch of salt if you like, too. Pour this dairy-free mixture into the bowl with chia seeds and cocoa powder.
Whisk well, and place the mixture in the fridge to rest for 15-20 minutes. This allows the chia seeds to release their thickening properties.
Then whisk well again. Either cover and refrigerate in the mixing bowl, or pour the pudding into small servings cups and chill. Just be sure your containers have lids if you plan to keep the vegan chocolate pudding in the fridge overnight or longer.
Get the Complete (Printable) Vegan Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Refrigerate for 4-6 hours to fully thicken the healthy chocolate pudding.
Serve chilled as-is, or with your favorite pudding toppings.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a super decadent dessert, I love to add chocolate shavings on top of my homemade pudding cups. These are also delicious with fresh fruit, like sliced strawberries or whole raspberries. Add a dollop of dairy-free Cashew Cream Whipped Cream for an extra special treat!
You can place the chia seeds in a coffee grinder and grind them until smooth before adding to the cocoa powder. Or you can puree all the ingredients in the blender after it has rested 15-20 minutes.
Stored in airtight containers in the fridge the pudding will stay good for up to 5 days.
Looking for More Delicious Vegan Dessert Recipes?
- Thai Mango Sticky Rice Recipe
- Gluten Free Vegan Fruit Pizza
- No-Churn Mocha Mint Chip Vegan Ice Cream
- Award-Winning Banana Bread
- Paleo Bars With Nuts. and Chocolate Drizzle
Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding (Vegan!)
- Set out a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the cocoa powder and chia seeds. Whisk well to break up all the cocoa powder clumps.
- In a separate measuring pitcher, mix the cashew milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add in a pinch of salt if you like. Whisk well.
- Pour the milk mixture into the cocoa mixture, whisking consistently, until the pudding is smooth. Allow the mixture to rest in the fridge for 15-20 minutes, to allow the chia seeds to release their thickening properties.
- Then whisk well again. Either cover and chill in the mixing bowl, or pour the pudding into small servings cups and chill. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours to fully thicken.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!