Simple Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins are a great way to repurpose holiday leftovers!
Is it a cinnamon roll? Is it bread pudding? Is it a muffin?
Well, yes, yes and yes.
Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins are perfect for desert, breakfast, snacks and anytime in between.
They are a trifecta of your favorite treats. One recipe, with cinnamon sweetness in every bite.
Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins are exactly as their name implies. They are muffins made as individual bread puddings using cinnamon rolls. The combination makes a beautiful, luscious delight.
I have never been one to get excited about bread pudding.
In fact, I have avoided it most of my life, that is until now. My experience was not good… Dry flavorless edges and mushy middles, yuck!
Using cinnamon rolls as the “bread” and saturating it all in rich creamy custard changes all that. Muffin tins are perfect for individual treats like this, no cutting or portioning.
Using mini cinnamon rolls in the Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins allows for more cinnamon swirls per serving, not to mention how cute they are.
After all everyone knows that cute food just tastes better, right?
But wait, before you start cracking those eggs and measuring ingredients I have a very important tip to ensure your Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins will be amazing.
Your cinnamon rolls need to be dried out, crusty crunchy crouton dry.
This enables the custard mixture to be absorbed creating a moist tender pudding middle, not mushy.
When your dry cinnamon roll pieces are in the muffin cups and you are ready to pour the custard over them, relax and take your time. Slowly pour an eighth cup of the liquid over each cup and let it soak for a few minutes. Add more as needed.
Sprinkling the tops with a little cinnamon sugar before baking creates a crunchy top and adds a bit of sparkle.
Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins are a wonderful treat for the holidays.
You can repurpose leftover cinnamon rolls to make an entirely new breakfast or dessert!
More Baked Goods We Love!
Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Muffins
- 2 tablespoons turbinado or brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk or half & half
- Do ahead: Cut and dry out the cinnamon roll pieces on a baking pan in a warm 250 degree oven, for about 20-30 minutes, cool completely.
- In a small sauce pan warm the butter, brown sugar, and ½ cup of the half & half on medium-low, stirring until melted and combined. Then remove from heat allow to cool.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, remaining ½ cup of half & half, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until well combined. Then whisk in the ingredients from sauce pan.
- Butter 12 muffin cups. Divide the cinnamon roll pieces among the muffin cups, piling them high. Pour 1/8 cup of the custard mixture over the cinnamon roll pieces in each muffin cup. Allow it to soak and absorb, add more custard as needed. Make sure the top layer has absorbed the custard too.
- Sprinkle each muffin with pecans and sugar. Bake in the bottom third of oven for 35 minutes. When a knife comes out clean they are done.
- To make the glaze: Stir milk into powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is the consistency you like. Cool the muffins for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and drizzle with glaze. Serve warm.
The density and dryness of your cinnamon roll pieces may effect the amount of custard needed.