Easy Adobo Seasoning Recipe
What is Adobo Seasoning?
Although Adobo Seasoning is a very common ingredient included in many Spanish and Caribbean-inspired recipes, you might be wondering exactly what is this flavorful spice blend.
Wonderfully versatile Adobo Seasoning is a type of seasoning salt – and it is, therefore, well, quite salty. It tastes like the perfect combination of savory, smoky, and earthy flavors with a slight hint of spiciness. The salt-heavy blend was originally used as a type of preservative before refrigeration was widely available. Today it has remained a staple in Latin dishes, and has become popular throughout the US and much of the world.
Sure, store-bought Adobo Seasoning offers a ton of flavor in one simple ingredient. However, it can be hard to find in some stores and regions. Instead, you can quickly make your own packaged Adobo Seasoning substitute at home from scratch with many spices you likely already have! Plus, this Adobo Seasoning recipe can easily be tweaked with several additional spices to create a delicious and unique blend with your favorite flavors.
Ingredients You Need
There are 8 classic spices included in this simple and authentic Adobo Seasoning recipe. In fact, you probably have most if not all of these in your pantry right now…
- Salt – the foundation for any seasoning salt
- Dried oregano – for an earthy and fresh taste
- Garlic powder – brings the big flavor
- Onion powder – besties with the garlic powder, they help to enhance each other
- Black pepper – freshly ground is best
- Ground cumin – a staple in many Spanish recipes for the perfect smoky undertones
- Ground turmeric – adds color and depth
- Chili powder – almost spicy but not quite, this spice adds even more smoky and savor flavor
As-is this seasoning salt blend is terrifically flavorful. However, you also can include a variety of additional spices to create other blends to fit your tastes. Keep reading for a few suggestions of possible add-ins!
How to Make Homemade Adobo Seasoning
Make your own store-bought Adobo Seasoning substitute in less than 5 minutes and just 3 easy steps:
- Measure and pour all of the spices into a small bowl.
- Mix well.
- Transfer the seasoning blend into a sealed container with a lid and store at room temperature.
Suggestions for Other Possible Add-Ins
There are lots of ways to customize this Adobo Seasoning recipe with even more bright and bold flavors. Give any of these add-ins a try:
- Paprika – for even more deep, smoky flavor
- Cayenne – adds a kick of spicy heat
- Dried citrus zest – to add a bright pop of acidity
- Thyme – for an extra earthy and herbaceous flavor
- Dried coriander – coriander is also known as cilantro, so adding a bit of this dried spice will create a taste similar to chopped cilantro
Or feel free to get creative and add other spices you like. I’d love to hear in the comments what tasty blends you come up with!
Frequently Asked Questions
This spice mix is terrific for adding bold flavor to Chicken Tinga Tacos, our fantastic Carne Guisada recipe, and Homemade Salsa Pastor. Use it to make a zesty marinade for chicken, beef, pork chops, or veggies. It’s delicious to include in nearly any Latin or Spanish-inspired dishes that call for an Adobo Seasoning blend!
Homemade Adobo Seasoning salt is also great to sprinkle onto popcorn, French fries, or onto just about all of your favorite sides and snacks.
Looking for More Easy No-Cook Spice Blend Recipes?
- How to Make Italian Seasoning
- Best Ever Blackened Seasoning
- Roasted Garam Masala
- The Best Steak Seasoning Recipe
Easy Adobo Seasoning Recipe
- Set out a small mixing bowl. Measure and pour in all the seasoning and spices.
- Mix well.
- Move the Adobo Seasoning to an airtight container. Store for up to 6 months.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!