Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Potato Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:8+ hours
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Potato Soup – A light and hearty potato soup recipe with chunk of chicken breast and lots of vegetables.
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (could be low fat turkey bacon)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cup sliced celery
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until brown, then add in the onions and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes to soften. (If using turkey bacon, cook in a nonstick skillet.) Pour the onions mixture into the crock of a large 6 quart slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breast on top of the onions. Add the sliced potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken broth, thyme, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn on high and cook for 8-12 hours, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are extremely soft. (Check the chicken at 7 hours. If it’s cooked through, cover and refrigerate until the potatoes are tender and breaking apart. If you happen to have a faster slow cooker, you do not want to overcook the chicken.)
- Remove the chicken breast from the crock. Stir the potato soup vigorously to break up the potatoes and thicken the broth. (You can make it extra creamy by partially pureeing the soup with an immersion blender. Or place 1 1/2 cups of the soup in a regular blender, puree, then stir back into the soup.) Shred or chop the chicken and add it back to the slow cooker along with fresh parsley. Stir well. Serve warm topped with low fat cheese if desired!
STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS: This recipe is great on the stovetop as well! Brown the bacon, onions, and garlic as directed above in a large sauce pot. In step 2, add the remaining ingredients to the pot. However, increase the broth to 12 cups, and lower the salt to 1 teaspoon. Simmer on medium until the chicken has cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are extremely soft and thicken the broth, 30-40 minutes total. Then move on to step 3.
Yield: 6-8 servings, Serving Size: 8
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 395 Calories
- Total Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Sodium: 1255mg
- Carbohydrates: 33.6g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Sugar: 5.2g
- Protein: 36.6g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
PAGE: 1 2
Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Whiskey Cream Sauce Next Post
7-Ingredient Company Potatoes