Healthy Ground Chicken Meatloaf
There is something so satisfying about cutting into a thick slice of homemade meatloaf. With a tangy glaze on top and hearty chopped vegetables throughout, it’s amazing how many different, delightful flavors and textures there are to enjoy in every bite!
We have a classic mini meatloaf recipe that incorporates ground beef, ground turkey, and lots of veggies. It’s tasty, to be sure. However, this fabulous Chicken Meatloaf is a leaner, meaner version for people that are watching their fat and caloric intake.
The Best (Healthy) Chicken Meatloaf
This poultry meatloaf is just as comforting, juicy, and packed with flavor as classic meatloaf made with ground beef. You can even make a healthy and gluten-free meatloaf with one simple tweak.
And the healthy chicken meatloaf recipe is just as easy to prepare! Simply combine the wholesome ingredients, shape it into a loaf, and brush with a tangy-sweet glaze. Then bake and enjoy. It’s great to make ahead, freeze, and serve with your favorite comfort food side dishes.
I promise you won’t miss the beef one tiny bit!
Ingredients You Need
- Ground chicken – white meat, or a combo of 50/50 white meat and dark meat
- Veggies – bell pepper, sweet onion, carrot, and celery
- Garlic – whole cloves
- Jalapeños – optional for spice
- Panko breadcrumbs – see notes for other options
- Milk – whole milk is best, but lowfat will do
- Egg – as a tasty binder for the meatloaf
- Italian seasoning – store bought or homemade Italian seasoning
- Worcestershire sauce – for that smoky, savory, classic meatloaf flavor
- Salt and pepper – just a bit of each
- Ketchup – adds a great tangy taste
- Balsamic vinegar – to balance the tangy, smoky, and sweet flavors
How to Make Healthy Chicken Meatloaf
This recipe makes two medium-size meatloaves, each with about 12 slices (so 24 slices total). Feel free to halve or double the ingredients as needed!
To make healthier meatloaf with chicken, first, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Remove the bell pepper and jalapeno seeds and stems. Then chop all the produce into large chunks. Place the veggies in a food processor and pulse into a fine mash.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, vegetable mash, panko, milk, egg, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and black pepper.
Mix by hand until the mixture is very smooth and even.
Set out a large rimmed baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. Divide the meat mixture into two equal portions. Use your hands to form each portion into two 10 X 4 inch loaves.
Then in a small bowl, mix the ketchup and balsamic vinegar. Brush the glaze over both loaves.
Get the Complete (Printable) Healthy Chicken Meatloaf Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the interior temperature of the meatloaf reaches 165 degrees F.
Let it rest for a few minutes. Then slice each of the two chicken meatloaves into 12 even slices (24 slices total).
Enjoy slices of healthy homemade chicken meatloaf warm with your favorite comfort food side dishes. Mashed potatoes are a classic!
Or serve with mashed cauliflower for an even healthier and low-carb meal.
For a complete dinner spread, you can include some steamed, roasted, or sauteed veggies on the table. We love savory, juicy ground chicken meatloaf with broccoli, green beans, Brussels sprouts, or other seasonal green vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! You can prepare the recipe the day before serving, or as part of your weekly meal plan. When the meatloaf has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. It will keep well for up to 4 days in the fridge.
This main dish is GREAT to make ahead. I love to serve one loaf the night it’s made, and keep the other in the freezer for a quick ready-to-go meal. Prepare as directed and then let the meatloaf cool completely. Wrap securely in a layer of plastic wrap, and then in a layer of aluminum foil as well. Keep the chicken meatloaf in the freezer for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen in a 350 degree F oven for 1 to 1.5 hours. Or thaw overnight in the fridge, and bake for 40 minutes in a 350 degree F oven.
Looking for More Delicious and Healthy Dinner Recipes?
- Lean Green Chicken Soup
- Healthy Baked Turkey Meatballs
- Zesty Ground Turkey (or Chicken) Tacos
- Keto Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner
Healthy Chicken Meatloaf Recipe + VIDEO
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 bell pepper any color
- ½ large sweet onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-2 jalapenos
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the bell pepper and the jalapeno seeds and stems. Then chop all the produce into large chunks. Place the veggies in a food processor and pulse into a fine mash.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, vegetable mash, panko, milk, egg, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and black pepper. Mix by hand until the mixture is very smooth and even.
- Set out a large rimmed baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. Divide the meat mixture into two equal portions. Use your hands to form each portion into two 10 X 4 inch loaves.
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup and balsamic vinegar. Brush the glaze over both loaves. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the interior temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve warm with mashed potatoes or low carb cauliflower mash.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!