Farro Salad with Kale and Artichokes
Why We Love this Healthy Recipe
When you think salad, often a lighter dish with fresh greens comes to mind. But oh, that is just the tip of the iceberg! Farro Salad with Kale and Artichokes is a great vegetarian and vegan-friendly recipe that includes whole-grain superfood Farro, kale, red peppers, and tomatoes. So although it is very healthy, there is nothing “light” here!
What is Farro?
It can be difficult getting into a clean eating routine, especially if you feel like you have to omit all carbs and other foods that keep you feeling full and satisfied. Farro is a fabulous ancient grain that is packed with vitamins and minerals. It has a lovely nutty flavor and soft, puffy texture that gives you that carb-a-licious toothsome feel you crave.
Here we’ve mixed it with fresh power-packed kale, plus a fantastic combo of fresh and canned vegetables to offer lots of bold flavors with little effort. Toss it with a simple red wine vinaigrette for a vibrant salad that works well as a side or main dish.
Bonus: This Farro salad is great to make-ahead for potlucks or meal prep. You are going to love it!
Recipe Ingredients Checklist
For the salad you need:
- Pearled farro
- Canned artichoke hearts
- Scallions (or diced red onions)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Roasted red peppers
To make the vinaigrette you need
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Farro Salad
First, cook the grains. Pour 4 cups of water into a 4 to 6-quart saucepan. Set it over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Once boiling, rinse the dried Farro and add it to the boiling water, with ½ teaspoon of salt. Cover and simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes until the water has absorbed into the Farro and it looks fluffy.
Meanwhile, chop all the fresh produce. Drain and chop the artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers.
Set out a small jar to make the salad dressing. Combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, Dijon, mustard, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper in the jar.
Screw the lid on tight and shake vigorously. (Or whisk in a bowl.)
Pour the cooked farro into a large mixing bowl and allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
Get the Complete (Printable) Farro Salad with Kale and Artichokes Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Once cooled, add in the artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers.
Then add chopped kale, scallions, and cherry tomatoes.
Toss well. Then pour the dressing over the top and continue to toss until all the Farro is well coated.
Serve immediately, or cover and chill, until ready to serve.
- You can easily swap or add veggies to this Farro salad recipe. Try cubed and roasted veggies, black olives, sliced cucumber, diced onion, or other hearty vegetables you like!
- Add crumbled goat cheese, feta cheese, or parmesan cheese for an extra hit of tangy flavor and delicious creamy texture.
- Toss in chopped cooked chicken for a non-vegan/vegetarian salad that is still very healthy!
- We love the simplicity of this vinaigrette but feel free to use lemon juice instead of vinegar in the dressing, or any other dressings you like.
- As-is this recipe yields 10 to 12 servings. Halve the recipe for a smaller dish to serve 5 to 6 people.
- This kale Farro salad recipe is terrific to make ahead and meal prep! To keep it super fresh, prep all of the ingredients and keep each component stored in a separate container. Then combine in a large bowl when ready to enjoy. The ingredients will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days. Alternatively, you can make the full salad and enjoy it within a day or so. But note that the kale will soften as it sits in the dressing.
This is a grain salad hearty enough to be a filling main dish that everyone can enjoy! It’s also great to pair with a vegetarian or vegan soup like Creamy Golden Vegetable Soup, Healthy Tomato Basil Bisque, or Cream of Celery Soup. And if you aren’t keeping too close an eye on those carbs, I also suggest serving with hunks of warm crusty bread.
Enjoy kale and Farro salad as a scrumptious side with any number of main Mediterranean-style dishes. If you want to keep it plant-based you can serve it alongside Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto, Baked Polenta with Mushrooms and Tomatoes, or with a Grilled Greek Pizza.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is farro gluten free?
Although Farro is healthy, it is not gluten-free. For a GF alternative, use brown rice in this recipe. Cook according to package instructions.
Does kale taste good raw in salad?
Yes! Although it starts off being quite sturdy and rough, chopped and massaged kale becomes delightfully tender. Perfect for a salad with some bite!
Should you let kale sit in dressing?
For a bit, it’s totally fine. After a day or so the acidic vinaigrette will start to soften the green leaves, and will eventually become unpleasant.
How long will massaged kale salad keep?
The kale and grain salad will keep well for up to 4 days. However, it is best to enjoy it within a day or two for optimum freshness.
Looking for More Healthy and Delicious Salad Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Roasted Beet Chickpea Kale Salad
- Crispy Kale and Quinoa Salad
- Wild Rice Salad with Blueberries and Herbs
- Chunky Mediterranean Salad
- Fattoush Salad with Grilled Vegetables
Farro Salad with Kale and Artichokes
- 2 cups dried farro
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts drained and separated
- 2 cups chopped kale packed, stems removed
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup roasted red pepper drained and diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2+ tablespoons honey or brown rice syrup for vegan
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Pour 4 cups of water into a 4 to 6-quart saucepan. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, rinse the dried Farro and add it to the boiling water, with ½ teaspoon of salt. Cover and simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes until the water has absorbed into the Farro and it looks fluffy.
- Meanwhile, chop all the fresh produce. Drain and chop the artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers.
- Set out a small jar for the salad dressing. Combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, Dijon, mustard, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper in the jar. Screw the lid on tight and shake vigorously.
- Once the farro has cooked through, pour it into a large salad bowl and allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, add in the artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, chopped kale, scallions, and cherry tomatoes. Toss well. Then pour the dressing over the top and continue to toss until all the farro is well coated. Serve immediately, or cover and chill, until ready to serve.