Chunky Mediterranean Salad
Quinoa Mediterranean Salad Recipe: This fresh, chunky, salad is loaded with vegetarian protein and tons of veggie goodness!
Who’s Ready For Salad Season?
Me, me, me!
This time of year, we are ready to turn off our ovens and turn on our grills.
This video cannot be played because of a technical error.
We want quick recipes with bright fresh flavors instead of heavy slow-cooked comfort foods.
We want to make the most of late spring and summer produce… And we want our foods to be cool and colorful.
Who’s with me?
It’s salad season. Yet that doesn’t mean you can’t still prep ahead for the week!
Meal Prep Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
Right now I crave big hearty salads.
The kind that can either be served as a side dish with grilled chicken and steak, or on their own as a veggie-heavy meal.
Summer produce is so fresh and crisp, it’s a bonus to be able to make big chunky salads that last in the refrigerator for several days, as opposed to limp green salads that turn slimy on day two.
That way, the leftovers can be used as meal prep for the week.
Today’s hearty protein-packed salad is a dream make-ahead!
What Ingredients You Will Need
This simple Mediterranean salad made great ingredients that will keep you satisfied all day.
For the Mediterranean Quinoa Salad:
- Dried Quinoa – I used red and white quinoa
- Can of Chickpeas – rinsed and drained
- Pitted Kalamata Olives – drained
- English Cucumber – cut into chunks
- Grape Tomatoes – halved
- Large Bell Pepper – seeded and chopped
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Fresh Chopped Mint Leaves
- Chopped Red Onion
For the Vinaigrette:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar – or lemon juice could be substituted
- Dried Oregano
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder – or 2 minced garlic cloves
- Salt and Pepper
It’s bold and healthy, with generous pieces of cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, and bell peppers, mingled with fresh mint leaves.
All the flavors and textures represented make our Mediterranean Quinoa Salad so inviting, even the pickiest salad eaters will love it.
Plus, the perky red wine vinaigrette is the perfect finish to tie all the ingredients together.
How Do You Make a Mediterranean Quinoa Salad Recipe?
This quinoa salad recipe is so simple to make…
- Cook the Quinoa. Although we all prefer to not cook in the summer months, a little cooking goes a long way in this recipe. Simmer the quinoa until fluffy.
- Chop the Vegetables. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare all the veggies.
- Shake the Vinaigrette. Pour the dressing ingredients into a glass jar and shake to combine.
- Toss! Dump all the salad components in a large bowl, drizzle on the dressing, and toss the salad to mix in the dressing.
See how easy that was? You can totally do this!
Get the Full (Printable) Chunky Mediterranean Salad Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Quinoa On The Mediterranean Diet?
Yes! Quinoa is packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It’s super (food) healthy and will keep you feeling full.
Is Quinoa Salad Healthy?
Yes, this one is! Unless you load your quinoa salad down with fatty processed ingredients, it should be very healthy. This quinoa salad has all sorts of nourishing ingredients in it.
Do You Have To Soak Quinoa Before Cooking?
No. Quinoa is so small, just a quick boil is all that is needed. When it’s ready, the outer spiral will release from the seed, and it will look fluffy.
Can I Leave Out The Feta Cheese?
Yes. Omitting the feta makes this a vegan recipe.
Is Quinoa Gluten Free?
Yes. quinoa is a seed, not a grain, and it does not contain gluten. None of the ingredients in this recipe contain gluten either, so it is completely gluten-free!
How Long Does This Recipe Last?
You can make this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad up to a week in advance.
More Amazing Summer Salad Recipes
- Peach Basil Salad Recipe
- Tortellini Salad with Basil Vinaigrette Recipe
- Garlic Lime Roasted Shrimp Salad Recipe
- Thai Red Curry Chicken Salad Recipe
- Brazilian Chopped Salad Recipe
- Thai Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Vietnamese Cold Chicken Salad Recipe
Chunky Mediterranean Salad Recipe
For the Quinoa Salad:
- 1 cup dried quinoa
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, drained
- 1 large english cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 2 minced garlic cloves)
- Salt and pepper
- Set a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the quinoa and 2 cups water. Cover tightly and bring to a boil. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed. Turn off the heat. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop all the vegetables.
- For the Vinaigrette: Pour all the ingredients in a jar. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper. Cover the jar and shake vigorously to mix.
- Once the quinoa has had a few minutes to cool, pour it into a large salad bowl. Add the chickpeas, olives, and all freshly chopped produce. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to coat.
- Serve immediately, or cover well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: Delicious Mediterranean Diet Recipes | FitMinutes
I don’t need to know the taste yet, I fell in love with your colorful salad.
Actually, I am starting a monthly vegetarian plan, hoping to gather more vegetarian recipes from you. Thanks for sharing.
My husband has to go on a low-sodium diet due to high blood pressure problems, so I will try it too. Just wondered if I omit the olives & feta cheese (can’t have), what can I use instead? I want it to have lots of flavor so he’ll like it! Thank you!
It will still taste delicious without the olive and feta. Yet maybe consider a lower sodium crumbly cheese… Maybe queso fresco? (Even though it’s not a Mediterranean ingredient.)
Just made this and it was so delicious. It is now my go-to salad for all picnics and summer gatherings. Thanks for sharing.
I’m so excited for salad season! This looks amazing!
This salad is so delicious! A perfect addition to our menu!
This salad has all my favorite ingredients!
Such a beautiful delicious salad!
This looks so inviting with all the colors! Can’t wait to make this.
I love when two favorites collide! I adore quinoa and these Mediterranean ingredients! I want to dive right it!