Crunchy and vibrant Vietnamese Cold Chicken Salad (Goi Gao). A tantalizing meal that happens to be gluten free and paleo-friendly!
I grew up in a city that has a significant Vietnamese population. Therefore, long before I had an appreciation for more popular international cuisines, I loved Vietnamese food.
In college, I made a habit of visiting a particular Vietnamese restaurant once a week with a friend. On my limited student budget, their lunch specials were a bargain!
Each meal came with an appetizer portion of Vietnamese Cold Chicken Salad (Goi Ga), a crunchy chilled salad with a bold zesty flavor, and shredded chicken speckled throughout.
Now that we live hundreds of miles away from my favorite Vietnamese lunch spot, I have to make these dishes at home.
Although some Vietnamese recipes are complicated, Vietnamese Cold Chicken Salad (Goi Ga) is extremely quick and simple.
It’s crisp, fragrant, and loaded with veggies, with a tangy-sweet punch from the nuoc cham dressing. Plus, it easily fits into most diet plans!
Make a big bowl of Vietnamese Cold Chicken Salad (Goi Ga) on Monday and take it for lunch throughout the week. Or serve it as a light dinner any night of the week.
You are going to love it!!
Vietnamese Cold Chicken Salad (Goi Ga)
- 6 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken, cold (use leftovers or a rotisserie chicken)
- 3/4 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts (cashews for paleo-friendly)
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, water, honey, fish sauce, and chili garlic sauce.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.